Nail REPAIR Help :@

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Hi everyone I had a client pop into the salon 2day with a plaster over her thumb and showed me it split half way down the nail and came to see if I could help her as the rest of her nails we're long and shes going on holiday so wants them to be nail. The problem is i dont do artificial nails although Im trained too and ive done overlays its been a long while but she said she didnt want an artificaial nail just for me 2 reapair if possible. I had An orly Nail Rescue kit where you brush on the glue to nail plate then dip u powder abit like filling in polyfiller cracks 2 times hardens then you buff off I retail this but said she'd make a mess and its ok she'll put some glue on herself. As i didnt want her to leave I offered to put a silk mesh over the nail and she said something like that would be ideal now im not confident and worrying about it. Whats the easiest and most effective way to do this please? I'd thought i'd ask my fellow nail experts for help is the way best applying the silk mesh over the entire nail or just the stress area needed and then a layer of glue x2? so its strong
Or im recently training with biosculpture so will there method I wuldnt need glue is that right just a layer of clear gel? but would that mean just the two nails im repairing would be shiny as oposed to the rest want it to be natural an mesh not to show through.
any tips would be great thankyou in advance

I personally would do a silk wrap on the nail not gel. With the wrap I would apply first layer of silk, resin, another layer of silk then resin again. It also depends how long her nail is if they are really long then I would do the 2 layers but if not too long you may be able to get away with doing it just once, Lightly buff away the shine. Should keep it strong enough until it grows out.
You can use gel but I have found it not to be as strong over a split nail as the silk. As you already have a stress point in the nail if she cathes it the gel will split in the same place. You could however do a layer of silk, resin buff then apply the gel. But you would have to buff the gel down so that it wasn't shiny to match the other nails.
Good luck in what you decide.
Jen xxx

Thankyou for your idea If i do use the gel I would apply it over the silk but i remember when i trained we never resin with biosculpture gel we applied the silk which had a sticky backing to the nail plate the layer of gel when cured under lamp hardens. Must i use resin under gel or can i do way without it?
nails are quite long so may have 2 do two layers of it then just worried it may show through though?

In this scenario I think I would apply the silk with resin, buff then apply gel over the nail then buff away the shine so that they are not shinier than the rest.
HTHs
Jen xxx

ok then i will give that a try tomorrow and you still think i need to do this twice with the silk? i thought maybe 1 layer might be enough she has got longish and strong nail though just caught that one

Latest posts

Back