Nail room with no window?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairydust

Reaction score
Ive rented a room in a hair salon for years. The room has no window, so no natural light but it does have an expel air. Is this safe with all the acrylics fumes. Acetone, dust ect. I keep getting chest infections and always have a horrendous cough whilst working. What do u think?

Every single manufacturer recommends an extraction ventilation system. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Vapours from products, don't give you infections but a closed room with clients carrying all sorts of germs DO? Do you use a hand sanitiser? Best thing you can do.

Any dust is bad and irritating to breathe ... I doubt your expel air is removing it as thoroughly as it should ... Better than nothing, but extraction should be near the source. I would invest in a desk that has extraction ventilation. Asap

Thanks got replying. I do have one of those desks. But I think the fumes of the liquid trigger my cough and the dust gets on my chest. There is what looks like an old window that's been boarded up so it wouldn't be to expensive to get a window put in. As I think some fresh air may remove some of the smell and at least keep the air fresh and a bit of daylight wouldn't go a miss! But would I be within my rights to ask the salon owners to pay for this? I'm not sure who would be responsible?

Thanks got replying. I do have one of those desks. But I think the fumes of the liquid trigger my cough and the dust gets on my chest. There is what looks like an old window that's been boarded up so it wouldn't be to expensive to get a window put in. As I think some fresh air may remove some of the smell and at least keep the air fresh and a bit of daylight wouldn't go a miss! But would I be within my rights to ask the salon owners to pay for this? I'm not sure who would be responsible?
If you don't ask, you don't get!! I would give it a shot. I'm sure they are supposed to be responsible for providing a safe working environment for employees, but if you rent the space, it will most likely be down to you to create your own space. A window won't cost as much as your desk probably did. Lol

The vapours from monomer have to be in very heavy concentrations to affect your chest ... Nail products are very safe to use, Really. If the concentration is so horrendous in your nail room, I'm surprised you have not had clients complaining or going elsewhere!

A window and some fresh air and daylight sounds a very good move.

Some clients do comment on the smell esp at the end of a busy day. It's a small room and when I'm waxing with the door shut straight after a cpl of sets of nails the smell does build up. I don't notice it because I'm so used to it but I do get headaches, which I suppose is frombyhe smell I use nsi attraction and it does stink! I will ask and see what they say. Worth a shot!

Some clients do comment on the smell esp at the end of a busy day. It's a small room and when I'm waxing with the door shut straight after a cpl of sets of nails the smell does build up. I don't notice it because I'm so used to it but I do get headaches, which I suppose is from the smell I use nsi attraction and it does stink! I will ask and see what they say. Worth a shot! Thanks x

Latest posts

Back