Nail separation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaone

Reaction score
I have a question for you I have a client who is always at the gym and while doing a pedi I noticed some bruising on her big toe. She said its not sore but when I looked at it the nail has separated from the nail bed and is only attached on one side.

She does not want to remove the nail so I told her to see a GP. It looks bad and she said it happened before and told me if it comes off can I put something over it so it looks the same.

I said I couldn't but she seams very pushy and keeps saying its ok. Don't know what to say to her as she is back with me next week for another treatment.

I'll post a photo later.

This is very common for those that train/play sports. Their trainers press on the toe nail putting pressure on the matrix. This can make it detach from the nail bed and it will eventually come off.

It's fine to replace the nail but only if you are confident with the prep that is needed and building a new nail? It is also OK to keep the nail temporarily secure until it comes off but again hygiene is key.

Clients like this need to keep their big toe nails VERY short to avoid the pressure in their trainers. Many don't because they also like their nails to look good in sandals!!

Yes she would have them quite long. So it would be like building up a nail bed for a nail bitter?

Yep, straight onto the nail bed. Just make sure the remaining nail and skin are scrupulously clean

Latest posts

Back