Nail Technician Training against short courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeauty

Reaction score
Just completed my NVQ 2 in Beauty Therapy - loved it but hard going 2 years 1 night a week!!! Want to do Nail Technician Training from September to include Gels, Acrylics and Nail Art but its for 6 months
again 1 night a week....

However ... looking at other recent threads, geeks are doing acrylics, gels in a day/days...... confused?? oh yes... :confused:

Advice would be appreciated

Just completed my NVQ 2 in Beauty Therapy - loved it but hard going 2 years 1 night a week!!! Want to do Nail Technician Training from September to include Gels, Acrylics and Nail Art but its for 6 months
again 1 night a week....

However ... looking at other recent threads, geeks are doing acrylics, gels in a day/days...... confused?? oh yes... :confused:

Advice would be appreciated

I teach short courses, and with the knowledge you already have, its the way to go! these courses are for people like yourself who are not green around the gills, or perhaps have life experience and would like to change direction. short courses are amazing and the good ones allow you to get the correct insurance for your new trade straight away + you pick up really helpfull time cutting /industry knoweldge which you cant buy! from people who have been doing it for years.

so short courses/ day courses are intensive but you leave with all the knowledge you need to be able to perform your new trade! good luck with your choice hun xxx
:green:

I recently done a one day manicure course followed by a two day acrylic nail course, 2 weeks to practice and then a one day course for infills, removals and the exam.
It was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed it and yes it was hard work but so so worth it.
The 'teacher' was at the end of the phone during the course, the practising and i still talk to her now if i am unsure of anything.
Would definately recommend it to anyone.:)

It depends greatly on the quality of the training and who is doing the training. With the shorter courses run by distributors or manufacturers the training is more specific to the brand you will be using and with most reputable companies the educators are experience nail technicians with some track record. Also the courses are smaller and therefore you can ask more questions and have them answered by an expert.

My experience of college courses is not as good with the tutors that I have had being jack of all trades and masters of not many. Generalisation I know, but this is my experience. Classes are larger with some holding others back and not many getting the attention they deserve.

The thing to remember is that whichever course you do it is only the beginning of your career and you will have to do more training along the way as you gain expertise and speed.

It is a minefield these days as there are so many courses to choose from and it is important that you do your homework to avoid very costly mistakes. Personally I would go for one of the top brands and do a course with one of their educators. CND, and Young Nails are 2 that I would recommend to you for ease of use and tech support but there are many more. Good luck with your decision my darling. :green:

Thanks you sooooooooooo much for your replies..... i think you have definately persuaded me to look more closely into the shorter courses. It is like one of the replies said "a minefield".... so confusing. I have my Shellac training on the 13th July with a 1:1 tutor recommended by CND so hopefully this will give me the encouragement I need to do the short courses!

Wow what would i do with this website... you guys are soooooooo knowledgeable, thanks Salon Geeks:lol:

Latest posts

Back