Nail tuition?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makenna

Reaction score
Hi geeks. Perhaps an odd question - but definitely the best place to ask! I've just finished practical training for NVQ level 2 Nail services. I did an intensive course and with the amount of information to process I feel totally overwhelmed when it comes to UV Gel and L&P. So, I was wondering if there are any techs in the Cambridge area who would provide a couple hours one to one tuition? It wouldn't be teaching as such, just going over what I already know, and perhaps some bits I have missed. Please let me know! Or if you can think of an alternative, open to suggestions x

Hi geeks. Perhaps an odd question - but definitely the best place to ask! I've just finished practical training for NVQ level 2 Nail services. I did an intensive course and with the amount of information to process I feel totally overwhelmed when it comes to UV Gel and L&P. So, I was wondering if there are any techs in the Cambridge area who would provide a couple hours one to one tuition? It wouldn't be teaching as such, just going over what I already know, and perhaps some bits I have missed. Please let me know! Or if you can think of an alternative, open to suggestions x

Is there anything in particular you'd like help on? I read that, like me, you do quite a bit of home study so if there's anything in particular then maybe I can find some suitable YouTube videos that are good examples of good work. When I did my nvq2 with the carlton institute there werr some really helpful videos on YouTube put up by actual colleges

Hi thanks for replying. I have a trainer hand at home and have been practicing like mad. I'm feeling ok with gel overlays now, but I just tried a set of acrylics and I am so disappointed, they were absolutely terrible I just chucked them in the bin, and I think I will be needing a new brush too. I couldn't get my liquid to powder ratio right, either the bead was too dry or so wet it just ran all over the place. The end result were a couple of lumpy odd shaped nails. I also noticed very distinct lines between the zones even though I overlapped my beads. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks xx

Something that really helped me with getting the liquid to powder ratio improved was doing the nsi acrylic conversion course. If the company you're currently training with isn't strict on which brand you can ultimately use for your nvq assessments (I don't see why they should be!) then I really recommend it. The nsi conversion course is fast paced but it helped me. I used to also have a habit of not wiping my brush enough. Regarding brushes it can be worth getting some cheap ones off ebay to practice with.

Nsi also do slightly longer courses too. Definitely worth giving them a call. I love cnd for gel but prefer nsi acrylic.

Thank you! I watched some YouTube videos then practiced just making beads, eventually I had another go and I was so much happier with the results, definitely got some more practicing to do but they looked miles better. Also I soaked my brush in acetone which helped but is this ok to do or is it going to damage it? Thanks xx

Thank you! I watched some YouTube videos then practiced just making beads, eventually I had another go and I was so much happier with the results, definitely got some more practicing to do but they looked miles better. Also I soaked my brush in acetone which helped but is this ok to do or is it going to damage it? Thanks xx
Acetone is a big no no for cleaning your brush, brushes are normally made from red kolinsky sable hair, you stick them in acetone it is going to ruin them as it will dry them out and make them brittle and the hairs snap, bit like over processing your hair with bleach.
The best thing to clean your brushes and soak them in is actually clean monomer, make sure you prop the brush up so the hairs are not bent in the bottom of your dappen dish, leave for a while until the product has softened enough (depending on how hard the acrylic has set in can take upto an hour) wipe it out on a lint free pad and keep soaking and wiping until all the clog is gone. Every time you use your brush before you put it away you should be cleaning it out really well in fresh clean monomer. If you clean it with dirty monomer you will get problems.
Hths
Jen xx

Last edited:
Oops ok thank you so much! Xx

I am doing a distant learning level 2 nail technician course therefore have to rely on YouTube videos for visual learning. Can anyone recommend videos to watch I don't want to be watching the wrong ones. I have watched Gemma Lamberts on naio nails but wondered which other legit ones are out there....
Sorry for stealing this post but I can't post my own until I've commented so many times lol xx

Sorry for stealing this post but I can't post my own until I've commented so many times lol xx
There shouldn't be any restrictions for posting. If you go to the forum you want ie Nail then click on start new thread you should be able to do so.

Thank you I have now figured this out [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back