Nailbiting / enhancements on children

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay this may be a controversial one.

I am ashamed to say I am a nail biter, but when I have my nails on (which is 99.9% of the time) I don't put them anywhere near my mouth. If I remove my enhancements and see some growth of the nail then I am pleased as punch and do not bite.

I have had a few teenagers over the summer holidays who had enhancements to stop nail biting, this was successful.

The question is now:

My 8 year old daughter has a nasty nail biting habit. Would it be physically (as in a danger to her health) for me to put very short enhancements on her over the christmas holiday to stop her nail biting, and hopefully encourage her to look after her nails once there is some growth and they are soaked off for returning to school in the new year.

I know everyone has very strong opinions about nail treatments and children, but the question is .. is it wrong if I am doing them and know they will be safe ??

Your advice / comments would be appreciated.

Take care
Maybe just being overparanoid here but I would be concerned about the effect the products would have on her, us seasoned oldies do not absorb as much through the skin as the little ones do, and it would be a big bummer for her if she developed any overexposure to the products too as this will stop her from being able to have them in the future, or working with them if she wants to follow in mum's footsteps.

thats why we train to NEVER touch the skin- should be a regular practice for all of us, ALL the time :)

Unless you are applying directly onto skin, or your brush is coming into contact with the sidewalls or eponychium how can there be overexposure.

Working at correct mix ratio and applying only to nail plate (as per manufacturers specs) you won't be overexposing.

Really it's more of a moral debate as to wether they are capable of understanding the value of service and importance of maintenance.

Really it's more of a moral debate as to wether they are capable of understanding the value of service and importance of maintenance.

Exactly that is my main concern. I will make sure she looks after them, but if she has no concern for her nails now, i suppose there is no guarantee that nail enhancements (very very short natural nail enhancements) would make a difference.

I like the idea of a nno but would this work on such tiny nail beds ?

I agree with the NNO idea. When i was training my friend would come into college for me to practice on. She had no free edge, didnt really look after her nails and they were bitten so short that it was impossible to put tips on, so i would do a NNO instead. within a month she had stopped biting her nails, and now 2 years later, she has nicely kept nails, which she takes care of.
Also, a friend of my mums has asked me to encourage her daughter not to bite her nails. Her daughter is 11, and i am planning to just do a NNO in coloured gel. I wouldnt do it on any childs nails, just friends and family where i know the parent will keep an eye on them.
I just need to convince the boyfriend not to bite his nails now!

Latest posts

Back