Nails | £5000 Fine For Nail Salon Owner Using Inappropriate Tools

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Those within the industry desperate for regulation to become a constant standard throughout will be pleased to hear that councils are starting to tackle those who are wilfully ignoring guidelines.

Dong Thi Le, owner of American Nails in Mansfield, pleaded guilty to Section 3 of the Health & Saftey At Work Act (1974) on March 6th at Mansfield Magistrates Court when she was prosecuted for using inappropriate equipment on a client.

In March 2013, a staff member used an electric file on a client's natural nail. Such practice is against HABIA guidelines an resulted in an infection.

Dong Thi Le was fined £5000 and ordered to pay Mansfield District COuncil's costs totalling £1,691 and a victim surcharge of £120. The verdict was based on the fact that American Nails had been previously advised of health and safety practices but had apparently ignored them.

"I hope this prosecution sends out a clear message that failing to comply with hygiene laws is a serious matter," warned Coun Mick Barton, portfolio holder for public protection at Mansfield District Council.

"Mansfield District Council works closely with all nail salons in the district to promote high standards in hygiene and cleanliness. Unfortunately, there are some businesses who do not maintain these standards and, in these cases, the Council will not hesitate to use enforcement action to ensure that the health of the public is not compromised."

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• electric-nail-file.jpg
    electric-nail-file.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 554
I posted this earlier it's shocking. More of these places need to be fined! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Disgraceful. These people give the nail industry a bad name.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I shudder when I think of an efile on a natural nail.
Hope this serves as a warning to other salons

E-files are safe if used correctly. I use an e-file for rebalancing and finish filling only. Never on the natural nail. Training is a must regarding e-files. That is why I trained with Julia Moran at the Creative academy + Manchester. :)

I read this last night on Facebook, it's so shocking that people are still going to the discount salons!
I'm sick of people coming in to me for a removal after going to these places and the sight of their nails underneath is just shocking! It also makes me look bad as it looks like I done a bad removal when in fact, their nails have been drilled within an inch of their life during the application.
Actually disgusts me that they could do that to someone nails xxx

I read this last night on Facebook, it's so shocking that people are still going to the discount salons!
I'm sick of people coming in to me for a removal after going to these places and the sight of their nails underneath is just shocking! It also makes me look bad as it looks like I done a bad removal when in fact, their nails have been drilled within an inch of their life during the application.
Actually disgusts me that they could do that to someone nails xxx

Feel ya sister! They change the expectations for timing and good service for the worst too. I want to start a 'rehab' for discount salon nails and give clients with those flaking ripped up nails the tlc they desperately need. Here's hoping the hand of the law will soon squash all these unsanitary shops.

Latest posts

Back