Nails peeling quite badly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've read the past post regarding delamination but I just want some extra reassurance here.. I have a client whose nails I do quite regularly and everything has been great.. However...her last set she unfortunately had to wait quite a while in between fills (over 4 weeks) and I explained that problems could arise as a result of her going so long. She fully knew what to expect when I got there and did apologize because she saw how they were starting to break down.

Anyways, we decided previously that we were just going to start applying gelish from now on as her nails are getting quite long and strong but when I got there yesterday, three of her nails however have quite badly peeled. Two nails were previously damaged (one was broken while opening up a pop can) and the other was broken while using a kettle so I know they have peeled because they were damaged when the nails broke off. The third nail was lifted quite badly (it just looks as if the adhesion had simply broken down as a result of the time in between fills) and so I buffed it down and let the lift just flake off. I don't have any problems with lifting normally. My 2 week maintenance appointments go great with no lifting whatsoever. It was unfortunate that these three nails were lifting but I really think it had to do with the 4+ weeks in between fills.

I removed the hard gel, leaving a thin layer, on the other nails and then I didn't buff the nails at all before applying Gelish. I just sanitized, pushed the cuticles back, applied gelish and then advised her to use her solar oil.

Did I do the right thing? I know the peeling is not my fault as I have never pried her enhancements and I have never filed too heavily. I am fully aware it is because they were obviously torn from the nail plate when they broke. Anyways..

Any thoughts are warmly welcomed.

tbh it sounds like her nails are now quite damaged, mainly due to her going far too long between her appointments. I have clients who go 4 weeks or so but they have good strong nails underneath.

I would in all honestly do tip and overlay with l&p for about 6/8 weeks then remove and go back to Gelish once you are confident that the weak damaged part of the nail has grown out and you are working on a stronger healthier base.
That's what I'd do. x

They're definitely damaged but they're not seriously damaged. We're going to try out the Gelish and go from there. She is finding it difficult to do every 2 or 3 weeks for fills so Gelish is easier for her at this point. I will update on how those 3 nails are doing when I remove the gelish. There is still a very thin layer of hard gel on the other nails so I may just put a thin layer of hard gel over them (if the gelish doesn't work on those three nails) then i'll assess them! I just hate seeing damage.

Nail oil a plenty and grow the peeling out, clip away what youre client will allow length wise from the free edge - I have personaly found this to seal the free edge in time... preventing further peeling, of course with the client looking after the nails and applying nail oil regularly :)

Thanks. I gave her a bottle of oil and explained that she can't rip enhancements off nor should they be left so long because with the apex grown out so far I think it put a lot of extra weight towards the free edge which caused some bending. I know it isn't my fault, I just always feel horrible if I see damage.

I read something that Geeg had written about delamination and so now I'm wondering if maybe some health issues have contributed or they were just broken much more harshly than I was told.

Sometimes I think I'm not suited for this profession because I over think everything and internalize it all. I take everything too seriously and worry far too much. I can't control what happens when I'm not there and I have to accept that and just deal with what comes my way but I have been nonstop worrying about the damage since I saw her.

Hey shannon,

I think you did the right thing, enhancements are an up keep and her going 4+ weeks with no fill is her issue not yours. Damage happens especially, I think the gelish is a good idea. Lots less up keep especially for busy clients. Thats the beauty of gelish :) stop worrying silly girl, im sure all of our clients have broken their nails at some point and time... I know mine have :)

Thanks Hun! Xo.

If someone has very bad peeling, the tips are very bendy and ragged because it's just peeling away would you apply a BO gel to give them strength while it grows out?

Iv tried SO gel overlay and that 'apparently' peeled off and took some nail layers with it. She can just about get away with Shellac but has to wear x2 top coats.

Was just wondering if you think the foundation of her nail would be strong enough to hold the BO gel?

She is complaining when she just has a normal Mani with polish that here nails r just too weak, and of course they are breaking.

An l&p overlay or hard gel would be fine. It adds strength to allow for the damage to grow out. In my case were trying to move away from enhancements and go strictly to Gelish and I hope it stays on those three peeling nails or I may need to do a hard gel overlay. So I would say yes go ahead and do the hard gel but remind your client to not try to pick it off or the damage will be worse.

Latest posts

Back