NAS 99 vs Surgical Spirit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkbawden

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a bit of a newbie & this might be a stupid question but ...

In my training I was taught to use Surgical Spirit to cleanse the nail plate & to wipe the sticky inhibition layer off after curing top coat of gel polish.

However, I've just looked at the ingredients (Alcohol Denat, Water, Ricinus Communis (Castor Oil) & Methyl Salicylate) & I'm now concerned - particularly with regards to the oil - that I should be using NAS 99 instead for my OPI Gel Colour and Gelish clients?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

All you need is 99% alcohol. In the states I buy it from Nailite or Premier Nail Source but not sure if they ship to UK. You should be able to find it an any large druggist. Sally's also carries it. I never did buy into the whole crazy-high priced "special" products like NAS99 and such. All NAS99 is is 99% alcohol. I've been doing nails for over 20 years and have I don't ever have lifting or greenies. I've also never bought a bottle of ScrubFresh in my life.
Sorry to take off in a rant and I might get blasted for it but this is a tough business to get started in if you have a family to feed and I see newbies all the time get roped into spending a fortune for high-dollar products that are nothing special. I use acetone to remove enamel polish and SOGs and 99% alcohol to cleanse. For someone with particularly oily nails I use a 1:1 ratio of acetone and alcohol.
Keep your hard earned money in your wallet.
OK, I feel better now. :wink2:
Jan

Hi there,

I'm a bit of a newbie & this might be a stupid question but ...

In my training I was taught to use Surgical Spirit to cleanse the nail plate & to wipe the sticky inhibition layer off after curing top coat of gel polish.

However, I've just looked at the ingredients (Alcohol Denat, Water, Ricinus Communis (Castor Oil) & Methyl Salicylate) & I'm now concerned - particularly with regards to the oil - that I should be using NAS 99 instead for my OPI Gel Colour and Gelish clients?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I only use NAS99. Never heard of using surgical spirit.

Thanks G-Mac!

Think I better order some NAS 99 ...

All you need is 99% alcohol. In the states I buy it from Nailite or Premier Nail Source but not sure if they ship to UK. You should be able to find it an any large druggist. Sally's also carries it. I never did buy into the whole crazy-high priced "special" products like NAS99 and such. All NAS99 is is 99% alcohol. I've been doing nails for over 20 years and have I don't ever have lifting or greenies. I've also never bought a bottle of ScrubFresh in my life.
Sorry to take off in a rant and I might get blasted for it but this is a tough business to get started in if you have a family to feed and I see newbies all the time get roped into spending a fortune for high-dollar products that are nothing special. I use acetone to remove enamel polish and SOGs and 99% alcohol to cleanse. For someone with particularly oily nails I use a 1:1 ratio of acetone and alcohol.
Keep your hard earned money in your wallet.
OK, I feel better now. :wink2:
Jan

Thank you so much You've Got Nail - You've been a big help!

It's tricky when I start buying products from particular systems such as OPI or Gelish etc. - They want you to buy EVERYTHING from them - & it's getting to be really expensive to get the kit I need.

I'll chuck the Surgical Spirit as no one seems to use that & just buy a regular 99% alcohol.

& thanks for the oily nail tip - I have oily nails due to medication & nobody has ever used on me or suggested 1:1 acetone : alcohol, so I'll give that a try :lol:

You're most welcome! Glad to help.

I use OPI Gelcolor and just use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol...exact same as NAS99 x

I use 99% alcohol too. I got mine from amazon. I nearly fell over when I saw the price for NAS 99. I checked the ingredients on the bottle and just ordered my alcohol online. I agree with the fact the big companies charge way over the odds for the basics we need to carry out gel treatments. I know they need to make a profit, but so do we!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Surgical spirit stinks!!!!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

A bit off topic but I love the smell off surgical spirit, reminds me of my college days :)

Latest posts

Back