Natural nail chipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louge

Reaction score
Recently I seem to be having a problem with the free edge on my natural nails. They are getting what looks like little chips out of them, like a knifr has been used to make a cut in them length ways. My free edge doesnt feel thin or weak so Im not sure why its happening, just have to keep filing them down. Any suggestions?

How do you care for your natural nails - is it possibly brittleness as they get longer and are not getting the same nourishment - do you oil every day?

Sounds alittle like you could be getting some separation of the nail layers. This can be seen by little 'chunks' if you like coming off.
Try cutting the nail, rather than filing, just do a quick soften of the edges if necessary. Then try using a product like Jessica's Fusion. Like it sounds, it will help to keep the nail layers fused together. Take the product down the nail and apply under the free edge, making sure you seal the free edge. This will give complete protection. Also keep using Solar Oil or similar.
If you can't get any fusion locally, pm me, I'll send you a mini bottle.:hug:

I use my solar oil every day religiously. Its not like chunks coming out of the nail and seperation, but if you were looking down on the nail theres whst look like slices taken out but a bit thicker. Thnik that makes sense lol.

Just a thought but it couldnt b from when u r filing other ppls nails could it?i always seem to catch mine somewhere along the line and i'm sure i read a post about it somewhere on here....
Probly not that tho but hard to tell what it is with no pic

I wondered that but its on both hands not just the hand which holds the finger when filing. Im not being very helpful am I.

Lol,hmmmmm well i'm stumped then-so ur using solar oil and its not filing-maybe u just need to strengthen them up a bit?...are u eating enough fruit and veg?!sorry if i sound like your mum!Lol just trying to think of some possibilities for u

Latest posts

Back