Natural nail coming away from acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omi1

Reaction score
I had acrylics done by another therapist which I have just refilled myself, but my natural nail is coming away from acrylic at the free edge. Why has that happened and how would you correct it?

Does your free edge normally grow inwards?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean, here's a photo of the underneath. As you can see its trapping dirt where the nails not attached to the acrylic (yuk!)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1433278340.995250.jpg

This is called curling and is most often due to a dry natural nail plate and your daily use of nail/cuticle oil should be sufficient to reduce this happening... When a nail dehydrates or is damaged (thinned) too much it will shrink and curl, this causes it to pull away from the product.

your index finger also looks to have pterygium (the skin fold under the nail has fused and is growing out with the nail) This is a common sign of some form of trauma or mechanical force. The nail on this finger also looks quite deformed. Have the nail beds been burnt from a drill or similar?

These nails could do with a great deal of aftercare to help them recover..

Thank you for your response Envy.

Yes I had another nail tech really batter my nails and unfortunately I daren't speak up and tell her to stop! They didn't last well either which was why I decide to get back into doing acrylics and refilled them myself.

I do have quite a high hyponychium on both my index fingers but yes I has definitely fused to the nail as you said. Please can you tell me the best thing I can do for it?

Latest posts

Back