Natural nail mend

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogacat

Reaction score
Could you please advise me as to the best and simplest method for a natural nail mend - where there is a split or break in an otherwise perfect nail :?:
I was taught on the Jessica course how to do it with their products, and someone did show me another method - but i haven't practiced these techniques, and i think that it would be a useful service to provide.
I would rather not have to buy a lot of new kit for this, so simple is good.

Your advice on the best method is appreciated.

the best way is to use a strip of fibreglass/silk across the split and saturate it in resin/nail glue.

silk is easier to work with. both can be used in conjuction with any sysyem. it must be pointed out to your client that this is a tempory fix to help the split grow out.

exceptionail said:
the best way is to use a strip of fibreglass/silk across the split and saturate it in resin/nail glue.

silk is easier to work with. both can be used in conjuction with any sysyem. it must be pointed out to your client that this is a tempory fix to help the split grow out.

I have to say, I have had excellent results with this method.
Its best to reduce the free edge a little so that the split/break can be given the opportunity to grow up and out successfully. (assuming the split/break is lower down the nail plate?)

Thank you for your advice. Are there any more suggestions that you might have?
I got the impression that the Jessica people were just pushing their own products - i've already got nail glue, so buying some silk shouldn't be too bad :wink2:
Would i have to buff the glue smooth? I guess that i would.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but would the procedure be:
*examine break
*cut piece of silk to size
*apply minimal amount of glue
*apply silk
*wait to dry
*buff smooth

Is this right? :?:

1. after initial examination of the break/crack prep the nail
2. thin layer of resin, spray activator then buff off the shine.
3. apply fibreglass or silk.
4. 2 coats of resin followed by activator.
5. buff and shine then apply oil.

...this is how I 'fix' a break on a natural nail using the Backscratchers fibreglass system, it doesn't matter if you use regular fibreglass or silk but I personally prefer the look of the silk on a natural nail.

hth
x

Hi ValencianNails
I should point out that whilst i've done a short nail extension course, i don't consider myself a nail tech, but that i do main/pedis.
I have a basic starter kit from Capital with l/p basics, but nothing more. Could i just use silk (or fibreglass) and nail glue?

Yes you can but the results may not last long. Resin holds up better than ordinary nail adhesive which tends to break down more quickly in water.

YOu need several layers of adhesive over the wrap and then of course buff smooth as silk so you cannot see the repair.

Thank you for your help.
When you say resin - you mean the l/p? Is that right?
Is there any kind of tutorial around for that at all? I want to get it right :)
It's very helpful to know that the nail glue breaks down more readily, i didn't know that.

Hiya YogaCat
Nope....a good Ethyl Cryanolate resin will do the job. L&P (monomer and powder) is not really gonna be needed here.
You can pick up a good EC resin from a wholesaler. I prefer to use Backscratchers Glass Glaze. I can make beautiful enhancements strong,and yet can repair or reinforce the natural nail with ease.....there are lots that will favour other brands.....and Im not about to claim my fave to be the best. :cool:
Find something that YOU yourself can work with ease!
A little bottle of EC resin and a strip of fabric has been on my list of essentials ever since I trained in Manicure....
Hope this helps hun.....and a really happy new year to you!
:Love:

Thank you for your advice Jacky - I'll have to pick some up next time i'm at the wholesalers :wink2:
I'll have to get practicing with it before i offer it to anyone, i think - it sounds like a bit of a knack.
Thank you for your advice, you have been most helpful. :Kissing:
Have a great new year!
(if there are any more things i should know, then do say...)

Hiya,

I posted this same query a while back, Carole Lindsay emailed me excellent step by step instructions, PM me your email and I'll forward them.

Following Caroles e-mail I picked up nail prep/dehydrator wipes, fibreglass strips, brush on resin, and a bottle of activator from Sallys. I had no probs following her instructions, I'd never used fibreglass before, and was only using it to fix my own nails that split - it worked a treat and with no lifting! was also really easy to soak off after too, once the split grew out.

One thing to remember, when buying fabric strips, resin and activator, buy from the same company, don't use one product from here and another from there.

HTH

Latest posts

Back