Need a lot of help deciding on my course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaynine

Reaction score
Hi all :)
I'm going to do my training corse at the end of Jan my biggest problem is that I don't know who to go with.
Its between CND (who I have heard are amazing) or NSI. Now I know what your thinking, why not just go with the amazing one? Well I've looked at as many vids and pics and info I can get my hands on and feel that NSI attraction would suite me more (they also include sculpting within the corse I would take its also allot closer to me and is cheeper but I don't mind paying a little bore for better quality.)
I've searched everywhere on here and read through allot but I still can't make up my mind and its driving me mental.
So I wad hoping anyone that has done ether a foundation with one and then a conversion with the other or anyone that can advise can help me.

(I would also be doing allot of nail art with acrylic so I need a range that has many colored powders)

Thanks allot.
-Kay

Last edited:
I think you should ask this on other forums as well, since this one seems very CND biased... Just my not so humble, but honest, opinion.

(I've never done any training myself, bear that in mind)

I think you should ask this on other forums as well, since this one seems very CND biased... Just my not so humble, but honest, opinion.

Thanks allot, I might.

Hi Kay

I started my CND Foundation course last Monday and have to say the training is wonderful and very easy to follow/understand. I go back in 2wks time to do my re balance and I can't wait. No one can decide for you, its what suits you best. I considered NSI but in the end I picked CND and I'm really glad that I did. Good luck.:hug:

I think this is an unfair comment in actual fact.

As CND has the largest market share of any one company (and for good reason) I think the site simply reflects this in the number of technicians who use the product here ... that doesn't make it biased, it makes it just what you would expect.

CND number 1 in products and product development. CND the market leader. CND the only nail company to have award winning education (the most recent being just a bare week ago for best nail education ) and best nails supplier voted for by technicians and no one else http://www.salongeek.com/news/102725-guild-awards-results.html ... personally I'd say it was a no brainer. :hug:

Geeg, I guess you're right.

However, I still think that it might be a good idea to ask somewhere else about educations, because most people here would recommend CND. CND's education might be good for some people, but I believe that if you compare with the educations in other countries, then it's not very good. Why? A 6 day course possible can not be as good as a longer course. It doesn't matter how amazing the teachers are or how good the products are if you wont get enough time with the teacher.

As you know I haven't done any training at all myself, but common sense tells me that a longer education with more time with the teacher is the better education.

It doesn't matter if the course is 6 days or 6 years - without you practising what you have been taught in your own time and on 'real' people other than your own hand, you will never be any good. You can continue with training as you progress but I wouldn't perceive a 6 day course as inferior.
For what it is worth - I am converting from one system to CND based on my own research and using the products. I am yet to complete my CND training but can honestly say that I wish I had started with them as this would have saved me money and time.

It doesn't matter if the course is 6 days or 6 years - without you practising what you have been taught in your own time and on 'real' people other than your own hand, you will never be any good. You can continue with training as you progress but I wouldn't perceive a 6 day course as inferior.
For what it is worth - I am converting from one system to CND based on my own research and using the products. I am yet to complete my CND training but can honestly say that I wish I had started with them as this would have saved me money and time.

If you don't mind me asking, what system did you start out with?

I'm talking about the time with the teacher, not practice on it's own.

From doing a silver smithing course last year, and from taking several sewing classes in school, I know that you need plenty of time with the teacher when you're learning something non theorethical, you need to be shown how to do some things, sometimes it's just not enough to read things from a book and then try to do it yourself.

I think this is an unfair comment in actual fact.

As CND has the largest market share of any one company (and for good reason) I think the site simply reflects this in the number of technicians who use the product here ... that doesn't make it biased, it makes it just what you would expect.

CND number 1 in products and product development. CND the market leader. CND the only nail company to have award winning education (the most recent being just a bare week ago for best nail education ) and best nails supplier voted for by technicians and no one else http://www.salongeek.com/news/102725-guild-awards-results.html ... personally I'd say it was a no brainer. :hug:

Wow, hard to believe I'm speaking to Gigi! :D I do have a question though, have you always used CND or did you convert?

I think you should try other forums too. If CND do the best products and training around then other forums will also give you the same advice, but it might help to get a good range of opinions to make sure. Best to have all the advice and info you can before making your choice.

You could also ring the course providers and have a chat with them.... you may find one seems more helpful or suits you better and it might make it easier to choose.

Good luck which ever you pick. I would love to go on either course myself. :)

Wow, hard to believe I'm speaking to Gigi! :D I do have a question though, have you always used CND or did you convert?

Good question!! I converted from OPI

Next question is ... have I used and evaluated many other brands in my 25 years? ... answer is yes, of course, I would have been a fool not to and I still do.

Next question is ... do CND only sell to professionals? ... answer is yes.

Next question is ... do other brands adhere to the same principals to protect their professionals' businesses? ... answer is no, 99% do not.

Next question is ... is the previous question of importance to me?? ... answer is ... it should be. :hug:

Good question!! I converted from OPI

Next question is ... have I used and evaluated many other brands in my 25 years? ... answer is yes, of course, I would have been a fool not to and I still do.

Next question is ... do CND only sell to professionals? ... answer is yes.

Next question is ... do other brands adhere to the same principals to protect their professionals' businesses? ... answer is no, 99% do not.

Next question is ... is the previous question of importance to me?? ... answer is ... it should be. :hug:

Lol I did my research so I knew that CND did that but thanks for the info incase I didn't anyway :D Thanks for answering though. Its lovely to see someone so passionate about the products they use time after time :)

However, I still think that it might be a good idea to ask somewhere else about educations, because most people here would recommend CND. CND's education might be good for some people, but I believe that if you compare with the educations in other countries, then it's not very good. Why? A 6 day course possible can not be as good as a longer course. It doesn't matter how amazing the teachers are or how good the products are if you wont get enough time with the teacher.

As you know I haven't done any training at all myself, but common sense tells me that a longer education with more time with the teacher is the better education.

First of all I am wondering why you are here answering threads about something you know nothing about.

Second of all a FOUNDATION course with ANY company is just that.....a foundation...

4,5,6 days whatever...a whole bloody year if need be...it's merely the beginning....

but you have to start somewhere....and because I am VERY CND biased :rolleyes: I will go on to say that CND ( and I'm pretty sure any other reputable company ) will ALWAYS emphasise on continuing your education with more courses/classes....

it's ongoing and forever....

Why should it matter to you if most people do recommend CND????

That should perhaps tell you something in itself....Doh!!!

As for the opening post....

If both appeal to you then why not do a foundation course with one and then a conversion with another???

There is no law to stop you using both systems independently...and you never know you might prefer one over the other anyway....

I would go with CND....because I am terribly biased that way....:rolleyes:
and you did ask :lol::lol:

I think you should try other forums too. If CND do the best products and training around then other forums will also give you the same advice, but it might help to get a good range of opinions to make sure. Best to have all the advice and info you can before making your choice.

You could also ring the course providers and have a chat with them.... you may find one seems more helpful or suits you better and it might make it easier to choose.

Good luck which ever you pick. I would love to go on either course myself. :)

I might I'm just trying to find some of them. I rang both and have all the info for both courses CND are very nice and easy to get ahold of but NSI products just keep my attention for some reason. :confused:

First of all I am wondering why you are here answering threads about something you know nothing about.

Second of all a FOUNDATION course with ANY company is just that.....a foundation...

4,5,6 days whatever...a whole bloody year if need be...it's merely the beginning....

but you have to start somewhere....and because I am VERY CND biased :rolleyes: I will go on to say that CND ( and I'm pretty sure any other reputable company ) will ALWAYS emphasise on continuing your education with more courses/classes....

it's ongoing and forever....

Why should it matter to you if most people do recommend CND????

That should perhaps tell you something in itself....Doh!!!

As for the opening post....

If both appeal to you then why not do a foundation course with one and then a conversion with another???

There is no law to stop you using both systems independently...and you never know you might prefer one over the other anyway....

I would go with CND....because I am terribly biased that way....:rolleyes:
and you did ask :lol::lol:

I was thinking of doing that, foundation with one and conversion with the other but money is an aspect (can be quite a big one for me at times as well :( ) I would just prefer to get off to the best start then learn any bad habits and have to knock them out, maybe I'm just stressing way to much about it all.

You see ... :rolleyes: this is the kind of answer that is so misleading when you don't know the facts.

The CND course in the UK probably takes a year or more for a good nail technician to finish the course. It is only the Foundation that is 6 days .. the whole course when all the modules are completed would fill ones time for more than one year.

CND offer the courses modularly so that students have time to practice in between modules and work their way up the ladder to completion. So you are quite uninformed in what you are saying. Maybe if you rang S2 and asked for a copy of the education folio and saw and understood exactly what was on offer, you would be better informed to offer advice here on the forums. This is precisely why non professional are not allowed (as per the site rules that you agreed to abide by when you registered on salon geek) to give advice on the main forums. It takes too much time to pick up the pieces when incorrect info is given out.

I would say that worldwide (with perhaps the odd exception in a burgeoning young market in some countries) the caliber (if I am allowed to use that word) of CND education is more than excellent but we are answering a question re the UK so I don't think what happens in other countries is exactly relevant.

I was thinking of doing that, foundation with one and conversion with the other but money is an aspect (can be quite a big one for me at times as well :( ) I would just prefer to get off to the best start then learn any bad habits and have to knock them out, maybe I'm just stressing way to much about it all.

Well I think money would be an aspect aswell lol...

Look at the end of the day you want the best start....

and joking aside ( well sarcasm ) from my post to that other person...I would recommend CND.

Why? because you cannot get away from the fact it is a damn good company in so far as education/training/products.

When I joined this site I too was looking at the best way to go and NSI was pretty much the only company I knew who did training in my area ( Spain )....they advertised pretty heavily at the time in the press here and I knew quite a few who were doing courses with them...

and I didn't like what I saw.

So I was in a dilemma....until I was kindly informed I lived not half an hour away from Gigi :eek:

I approached Gigi...not the other way round, there was definitely no pressure for me to go down the CND route...not at all.

We all feel comitted to our product....I am not denying I have tried others...I have and no-one says you can't....
but I am glad I have my roots and initial training with CND....it's respected and well known amongst clients too....

but you know what....it would be great if someone from NSI could come along and tell you why you should go with them...

a balanced view is always the best way to decide...

regarding the nail art...that can come later...I wouldn't personally decide on a company because they do the best products for nail art.

Hi, I trained with Creative years ago and have recently done a few of their conversion courses - brilliant by the way!! At the moment I am at college taking my NVQ III in nail services and we are using NSI products. Ive been at college for nearly 3 months now and can honestly say that I DID learn more with Creative in 5 days than I have in 3 months!! I only enrolled on the NVQ course as I managed to get it funded this year and also because im living a new area I thought it would introduce me to other nail techs etc and also get me plenty people to practice on, If I had paid for this course I wouldn't be very happy at all.

As for NSI v's Creative, in my opinion Creative is by far superior. I cant comment on NSI training but I think you would struggle to better Creative. Everything about them is fab - the products just look so classy, do what they say and also give off a great image. I sometimes resort to using my CND products at college as I cant get to grips with the NSI ones (especially the tips). Customer service is fantastic and are so willing to help with any queries/problems, they have always rung me back when they said they would and replied to emails very promptly. Also, for one of my conversion courses I struggled to get a model so my ambassador brought her mum in to be my model!! (thank you Katie Ellison) - my point is that even down to the little things they are a fantastic company through and through.

Hope this helps.

Lauren.xx

You see ... :rolleyes: this is the kind of answer that is so misleading when you don't know the facts.

The CND course in the UK probably takes a year or more for a good nail technician to finish the course. It is only the Foundation that is 6 days .. the whole course when all the modules are completed would fill ones time for more than one year.

C

I did not know that, thanks.

Latest posts

Back