Need a lot of help deciding on my course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think money would be an aspect aswell lol...

Look at the end of the day you want the best start....

and joking aside ( well sarcasm ) from my post to that other person...I would recommend CND.

Why? because you cannot get away from the fact it is a damn good company in so far as education/training/products.

When I joined this site I too was looking at the best way to go and NSI was pretty much the only company I knew who did training in my area ( Spain )....they advertised pretty heavily at the time in the press here and I knew quite a few who were doing courses with them...

and I didn't like what I saw.

So I was in a dilemma....until I was kindly informed I lived not half an hour away from Gigi :eek:

I approached Gigi...not the other way round, there was definitely no pressure for me to go down the CND route...not at all.

We all feel comitted to our product....I am not denying I have tried others...I have and no-one says you can't....
but I am glad I have my roots and initial training with CND....it's respected and well known amongst clients too....

but you know what....it would be great if someone from NSI could come along and tell you why you should go with them...

a balanced view is always the best way to decide...

regarding the nail art...that can come later...I wouldn't personally decide on a company because they do the best products for nail art.

Lucky you! :) I'd debate going to spain just for that! Thank you for your input I;m just going to have to wait and see if any NSI stained geeks come along now to get their stories and if they don't... I'm going to bang by head on the wall till I decide. :)

Hi, I trained with Creative years ago and have recently done a few of their conversion courses - brilliant by the way!! At the moment I am at college taking my NVQ III in nail services and we are using NSI products. Ive been at college for nearly 3 months now and can honestly say that I DID learn more with Creative in 5 days than I have in 3 months!! I only enrolled on the NVQ course as I managed to get it funded this year and also because im living a new area I thought it would introduce me to other nail techs etc and also get me plenty people to practice on, If I had paid for this course I wouldn't be very happy at all.

As for NSI v's Creative, in my opinion Creative is by far superior. I cant comment on NSI training but I think you would struggle to better Creative. Everything about them is fab - the products just look so classy, do what they say and also give off a great image. I sometimes resort to using my CND products at college as I cant get to grips with the NSI ones (especially the tips). Customer service is fantastic and are so willing to help with any queries/problems, they have always rung me back when they said they would and replied to emails very promptly. Also, for one of my conversion courses I struggled to get a model so my ambassador brought her mum in to be my model!! (thank you Katie Ellison) - my point is that even down to the little things they are a fantastic company through and through.

Hope this helps.

Lauren.xx

Its nice to hear from someone currently using the other product! You've helped allot thanks :)

Having trained with both companies, I'll give you my honest unbiased opinion.
I would do exactly what I did.
I did my foundation with CND, then six months later I did a basic nail art class with CND. One month later I did a sculpting day with CND. Three months after that I did a 121 sculpting class which was also a conversion class with NSI.
My main reason for training with NSI was the guy who was doing the teaching, Tony, I'd met him at one of the shows and he and I clicked, stuff that had confused me before about sculpting suddenly became clear.
I get on very well with the Attraction range but I have to say that I think that is down to the fab education I had with CND. I have talked to many techs who have trained the other way around and they all say how much more they learned when they went to CND. It's just that it's a much more comprehensive course. I still use a lot of CND products again they are imo much better then the NSI range, tips, scrub fresh etc.
They are worth the money, worth the travel and are the best known in and out side the business.:hug:

Why did you do two sculpting days?

Sculpting nails is a skill that involves allot of understanding of the 3 dimensional quality of nails. You are building in different areas to cope with stresses and strains on the nail enhancement and if you do not get it right, your clients will suffer from service breakdown .. for most this is not learned in a day a month and sometimes not in years. Two days??? is nothing.

I think (if you do not know already) that you had better prepare yourself for the fact that the business you are going into is not easy and it takes a long time and dedication and practical experience to become a true professional.

The first one was in a class and yes I was taught everything correctly but, I'm a slow learner, so when I saw Tony demonstrating a sculpted nail we got chatting and I thought, yep, this guy has a lot to teach me. When you do a 121 class, it's up to you what you learn and I have always been happy with my tip and overlay so plumped for more sculpting.
Recently I attended a play day with LeChat, they were introducing a new product range, the educator showed me how to extend the natural nail bed, improve my sculpting and how to produce 3d nail art that actually looks like, a flower, butterfly etc.
I don't think you can ever stop learning in this business, you find a client with something unusual and it sparks a train of thought and of you go again.
It's really compulsive :lol:

Sculpting nails is a skill that involves allot of understanding of the 3 dimensional quality of nails. You are building in different areas to cope with stresses and strains on the nail enhancement and if you do not get it right, your clients will suffer from service breakdown .. for most this is not learned in a day a month and sometimes not in years. Two days??? is nothing.

I think (if you do not know already) that you had better prepare yourself for the fact that the business you are going into is not easy and it takes a long time and dedication and practical experience to become a true professional.

I know that ;D lol. No, I just wondered if it was more then a one part corse or anything. I can get why you would want to do it twice though.

The first one was in a class and yes I was taught everything correctly but, I'm a slow learner, so when I saw Tony demonstrating a sculpted nail we got chatting and I thought, yep, this guy has a lot to teach me. When you do a 121 class, it's up to you what you learn and I have always been happy with my tip and overlay so plumped for more sculpting.
Recently I attended a play day with LeChat, they were introducing a new product range, the educator showed me how to extend the natural nail bed, improve my sculpting and how to produce 3d nail art that actually looks like, a flower, butterfly etc.
I don't think you can ever stop learning in this business, you find a client with something unusual and it sparks a train of thought and of you go again.
It's really compulsive :lol:

I see, Just thought it might of been part of a so many day corse or something. Thought it was a little unusual that one day was 121.

I agree, I know nothing about this. I use something called common sense.

Yes, it's a foundation course. It's the beginning. But surely a longer course (Swedish courses are usually several weeks long, US courses are several weeks long as well, most other countries foundation courses are several weeks long, why is that I wonder that only England got those short courses?) would be better than a short one? It doesn't matter that it's a foundation course or not. COMMON SENSE would tell you that the longer one that have teachers that are of the same quality would be better.

You CAN'T compare a 6 day course with a course that's several weeks long! Common sense, people.

People say that the CND courses takes a year to complete, but still I mailed them and they said that the foundation course takes 6 weeks with 6 days at the academy. "But that's several weeks long too!" You say. Sure! But with 6 days when you get to be taught be a teacher and not practice on your own. I guess you mean that somehow taking all the CND courses would equal to a year of studies and home practice, but how many days at the academy would you get? I guess at 10 or so. (Besides I'm talking about foundation courses here, not anything else so bear that in mind.)

"I would say that worldwide (with perhaps the odd exception in a burgeoning young market in some countries) the caliber (if I am allowed to use that word) of CND education is more than excellent but we are answering a question re the UK so I don't think what happens in other countries is exactly relevant."

Just one word there... The CND education is different in different countries. For some strange reason there's a lot more days at the school if you train with CND products in Sweden. Also, it is very relevant how things works in other countries, because it sort of makes you wonder why all other countries got longer educations.

People, look at how it works in U.S, you need a lot more time at the schools there to become a nail techniqian.

Look at how long the Swedish courses are.

Look at the price difference. It's standard in Sweden that courses that are seen as good cost at least 30.000 sek. Common sense would tell you that you get what you pay for, right? 6 day long courses like this are being laughed at in Sweden.

Would you trust a dentist that practiced drilling at home and that had 20 days of school training?

I guess you'd get along fine, maybe, if you do lots of practice but I expect that if you'd do a proper, long course after the CND foundation course you'd find that you have in your home practicing picked up lots of bad habits and now they are hard to get rid of. I had this when I did a short course on silversmithing and later did a long one with more time with the teacher. It can be things like holding the file wrong or sitting wrong (it can hurt your back severely in the long run). It might not have any effect on your work but it might have effect on YOU and your health.

I guess the idea is that you learn less in the foundation courses in England and then you make up for it by taking lots of other courses after whist in Sweden and other countries you learn a lot more in the foundation course so that you only need to take update courses when you're done. Also, when you've finished the Swedish foundation courses you're supposed to be able to go out and work straight after, whilst I've seen lots of threads on here with people telling others that they probably can't work yet after the CND's foundation course.

I agree, I know nothing about this. I use something called common sense.

Yes, it's a foundation course. It's the beginning. But surely a longer course (Swedish courses are usually several weeks long, US courses are several weeks long as well, most other countries foundation courses are several weeks long, why is that I wonder that only England got those short courses?) would be better than a short one? It doesn't matter that it's a foundation course or not. COMMON SENSE would tell you that the longer one that have teachers that are of the same quality would be better.

You CAN'T compare a 6 day course with a course that's several weeks long! Common sense, people.

People say that the CND courses takes a year to complete, but still I mailed them and they said that the foundation course takes 6 weeks with 6 days at the academy. "But that's several weeks long too!" You say. Sure! But with 6 days when you get to be taught be a teacher and not practice on your own. I guess you mean that somehow taking all the CND courses would equal to a year of studies and home practice, but how many days at the academy would you get? I guess at 10 or so. (Besides I'm talking about foundation courses here, not anything else so bear that in mind.)

"I would say that worldwide (with perhaps the odd exception in a burgeoning young market in some countries) the caliber (if I am allowed to use that word) of CND education is more than excellent but we are answering a question re the UK so I don't think what happens in other countries is exactly relevant."

Just one word there... The CND education is different in different countries. For some strange reason there's a lot more days at the school if you train with CND products in Sweden. Also, it is very relevant how things works in other countries, because it sort of makes you wonder why all other countries got longer educations.

People, look at how it works in U.S, you need a lot more time at the schools there to become a nail techniqian.

Look at how long the Swedish courses are.

Look at the price difference. It's standard in Sweden that courses that are seen as good cost at least 30.000 sek. Common sense would tell you that you get what you pay for, right? 6 day long courses like this are being laughed at in Sweden.

Would you trust a dentist that practiced drilling at home and that had 20 days of school training?

I guess you'd get along fine, maybe, if you do lots of practice but I expect that if you'd do a proper, long course after the CND foundation course you'd find that you have in your home practicing picked up lots of bad habits and now they are hard to get rid of. I had this when I did a short course on silversmithing and later did a long one with more time with the teacher. It can be things like holding the file wrong or sitting wrong (it can hurt your back severely in the long run). It might not have any effect on your work but it might have effect on YOU and your health.

I guess the idea is that you learn less in the foundation courses in England and then you make up for it by taking lots of other courses after whist in Sweden and other countries you learn a lot more in the foundation course so that you only need to take update courses when you're done. Also, when you've finished the Swedish foundation courses you're supposed to be able to go out and work straight after, whilst I've seen lots of threads on here with people telling others that they probably can't work yet after the CND's foundation course.

Perhaps your common sense will explain then why the CND techs in the Uk are considered to be some of the finest in the world and the standard of the CND techs is unequalled?

Is it so difficult for you to understand that the foundation is just one part of the whole course? It doesn't end at 6 days. :grr:

As to the long courses in the USA .. Hundreds of hours long ... and the techs still come on here and tell us that they are not prepared to work in the industry. They claim to have spent less time learning the art of nail enhancment and more time learning how to pass their State board exams.

Whatever you surmise and think you may know, the proof is in the pudding as they say. The CND trained novices are better trained than you can imagine to get out there and start practising safely and the CND fully trained techs are out there making money and building businesses ... it is there for all to see right here on the site. For a Start, CND attracts serious technicians who want to build businesses not hobbies .... CND then partner with these ones all the way to help them build serious businesses. It's there for all to see.

I have worked with nail technician students in Noway, Denmark and Sweden. I have taught in all those countries at one time or another and have not noticed the techs there to be any better trained than anywhere else. CND Results speak for themselves, and the results are excellent. CND are known for it, we have an excellent reputation that is unequalled. If you can't accept that then maybe you ought to experience it for yourself. THEN come back and say what you think with some first hand knowledge.

Allot depends too on the quality of the distributor who is handeling the brand. In my earlier days and for many years I worked with Annette Clausen from Sweden the CND distributor .. a woman who is a legend (not to mention a CND global Goddess :lol:) and who along with CND methods of training, trained some of the finest technicians in the country. Many women like her have sadly now retired ... this can leave a void and it can take many years for another to begin to take the place of such a dedicated and talented person.

Your dentist analogy is just plain silly. No one is saying or implying that a technician is a trained professional in 6 days ... but dentists do start practising very soon just like nail techs do.

Last edited:
I might I'm just trying to find some of them. I rang both and have all the info for both courses CND are very nice and easy to get ahold of but NSI products just keep my attention for some reason. :confused:

Well i dont think this kaynine is thinking of going to sweden.... travel costs would be a bit of an issue! :lol:

If CND seems the nicer company.... easier to get hold of and nice to talk to, i would personally choose them to do my course with. (If only i could :cry: ..... anyone want to babysit my children so i can go too?!)

Looking at the NSI website, the conversion course for them is £50 + vat. I know its not pocket money but its not too expensive.

It seems better to learn with the one that seems to be more helpful and happy to teach you and then if you find you still want to use the NSI products..... well, try doing a few sets of nails and save your earnings for the conversion course! :)

Well i dont think this kaynine is thinking of going to sweden.... travel costs would be a bit of an issue! :lol:

If CND seems the nicer company.... easier to get hold of and nice to talk to, i would personally choose them to do my course with. (If only i could :cry: ..... anyone want to babysit my children so i can go too?!)

Looking at the NSI website, the conversion course for them is £50 + vat. I know its not pocket money but its not too expensive. Really? Its says £370 on my nearist educaters website, although I called her and she said it would be around 185??! 0.o

It seems better to learn with the one that seems to be more helpful and happy to teach you and then if you find you still want to use the NSI products..... well, try doing a few sets of nails and save your earnings for the conversion course! :)

My only prob is I know I would be doing allot more nail art and NSI have the products (colored acrylic) Anyone know a way around it!!!!??

My only prob is I know I would be doing allot more nail art and NSI have the products (colored acrylic) Anyone know a way around it!!!!??

Conversion Course - Nail Systems International(UK) i found that price on this website.

http://www.sweetsquared.com/Sweet-Shop/Kits-and-collections_2/Bolds-collection also they do coloured powers on the sweet squarred website. They have a shimmers collection too. I think they can be mixed for custom colour too..... i think you're basic nail art products can be used from either. You dont HAVE to do a conversion course to use NSI products so you could still use some of there bits and bobs..... would just be best to do the conversion if you want to use one of the systems.

Last edited:

Out of interest ... just how do you know this?? and are you not aware that CND do coloured powders? You can make any colour you want from them. Granted CND do not do the choice of premixed colours because the reality is that very few people use them for a large part of their business. I use only CND colours and do not find it holds me back. But I'm not trying to persuade ... if you are so into nail art then go with NSI as CND is not a nail art company as such ... CND is into beautiful gorgeous natural looking nails and expert education ... if nail art is your absolute thing then CND is not for you.

Conversion Course - Nail Systems International(UK) i found that price on this website.

Bolds collection also they do coloured powers on the sweet squarred website. They have a shimmers collection too. I think they can be mixed for custom colour too..... i think you're basic nail art products can be used from either. You dont HAVE to do a conversion course to use NSI products so you could still use some of there bits and bobs..... would just be best to do the conversion if you want to use one of the systems.

Thanks for that.

Hiya

Im training with NSI and i love it, the system is very easy to work with

I cannot say bad or good about CND as i have never used it, but i believe i have made the right choice about NSI

:)

Out of interest ... just how do you know this?? and are you not aware that CND do coloured powders? You can make any colour you want from them. Granted CND do not do the choice of premixed colours because the reality is that very few people use them for a large part of their business. I use only CND colours and do not find it holds me back. But I'm not trying to persuade ... if you are so into nail art then go with NSI as CND is not a nail art company as such ... CND is into beautiful gorgeous natural looking nails and expert education ... if nail art is your absolute thing then CND is not for you.

My friends and friends for friends know that I'm going to do a corse and have all asked for nail art ( ya know the whole 3d flower thing) they are going to be most of my first customers and I've done hand painted nail art on them for years now so its no surprise that they would want that from another product as well.
I knew (that going to keep coming up isn't it! :D ) that they did the main colors but to save time I was hoping that maybe they had some on the site that I might of not been able to see unless I was a member or something. Of corse I want lovely P+Ws and naturals as well, what I'm really looking for is the best of all worlds and I just don't know How or if I can get that.

Hiya

Im training with NSI and i love it, the system is very easy to work with

I cannot say bad or good about CND as i have never used it, but i believe i have made the right choice about NSI

:)

Thanks

CND CND CND!!!!! I can't say it enough. I have not trained with NSI but have trained with a few other brands. You may get longer with the tutors on other courses but will the standard of their knowledge be as good, and will the products you then go onto use be of CND standard. I have recently become a grand master with CND and can honestly say that their courses and tutors are amazing. After several courses and brands, I did my CND conversion, and learned more on that one course than I had on all the others put together. I think the structure of the foundation course is perfect, combining the right amount of teaching and practice in your own time. I do a lot of encased nail art and have no creative problems using CND powders. CND are number one for good reason.

Hello, just a quick thaught. I would go with CND I have used both and I love CND and the pink and white are amazing and so easy to use they are just brilliant. BUT I also use nsi, what I use nsi for is the coloured acrylic powders and nail arty stuff. I have a seperate brush for the nsi of cource. Its so handy to be able to buy the coloures individualy. .workes for me, I have a few younger clients who want the neon pinks etc. I would train with CND becuse of the quality and reputation of the products clients recognise this too. NSI is the same to use except you use a primer and it is faster setting, you get a DVD with the acrylic set anyway so you can watch that. I would go with CND all the way, this is totaly unbiased because I work for myself, I dont work for any company etc. There is no law to say you can only use one product line as long as you never, EVER try to mix them together. Your training will be on going what ever you decide to do. It has to be in any profession you constantly update your skills. Hope this is helpful and didnt make it worse lol xxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back