Need help with advertising/promoting myself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope u can help - before anyone says i have read the articles about advertising and am still struggling to know what to do.

thought it would help if u knew a bit of my background;

i've been working in a local hair and beauty salon (self employed) for about 6 months, just doing a couple of days a week. i get 60% of everything i earn as i take in and use all my own products. i've only been qualified since around christmas last year and at the mo am only doing manicures, pedicures and nail art there.

the problem is i still have hardly any clients, not really anyone i could call regulars either. on saturday i was there for 6 hrs and not 1 client to do.

there is a beauty therapist who has been at the salon for about 5 yrs, she's booked up solid nearly all the time with facials, waxing, massage etc but also mani and pedi. obviously i don't want to and don't expect to take her current clients away from her but it's better for me working when she does in case there are walk-ins.

anyway, i've had some leaflets printed and dropped them round a few local houses but haven't had a chance to do many. i was thinking of changing them to say 10% off with this leaflet - do u think this is a good idea?

also offering 10% off to clients when they refer a friend, or is it better to offer a free re-varnish?

i just don't really know where to start with all this, i'm really new to it all and a bit shy when it comes to talking to new people.

any help would be greatly appreceiated xxx

My gut feeling is that you should find another salon to work from. One where you're not competing with an established therapist. xx

I agree with Kimmie

PLUS the deal you have with the owner is VERY bad. 40% to the salon owner and you supply your own products???

That really sucks and I wouldn't do it.

Get into a salon where you rent space (period). NO percentages (unless they are reasonable and not plain greedy).

Also it should have been made clear at the start just who would be doing what regarding manicures and pedicures ... of course most clients who know the salon will go to the therapist they have known the longest ... you will be seen as the 'new' girl and therefore less experienced.

i understand what you're saying but i really like the salon. the girls there are all lovely and do try and help me geti clients.

i feel like i should persevere there a bit longer, dont u think?

plus i can't afford to rent a space - this works better for me because when i have no clients i'm not paying out money that i don't have.

i just wanted to know ways i could advertise more or something........but u seem to think it's a lost cause :cry:

i understand what you're saying but i really like the salon. the girls there are all lovely and do try and help me geti clients.

i feel like i should persevere there a bit longer, dont u think?

plus i can't afford to rent a space - this works better for me because when i have no clients i'm not paying out money that i don't have.

i just wanted to know ways i could advertise more or something........but u seem to think it's a lost cause :cry:

It's not a lost cause, but the only way of really getting a great response is for the paying customer to see your good work. Word of mouth. Everyone of us that has been in business says the same.

To have good results you have to get clients thru the door and then perform to a high standard and give them an experience to remember.

You are getting clients thru the door of the salon (this is in part what you are paying so much for). It may seem good now, but when you are making 150.00 per day and giving 40% of it away you will not be so happy. Take the long term view and not the short term view.

the problem if i move is that i feel i've wasted 6 months. coz i've only been there 1 or 2 days a week up until now the clients are starting to know me now.

i just feel like i'd be giving up and not persevering with it. the owner there said it often takes around 18 months to build up a good client base and the beautician said it took her over a year. they do help me coz it's in their best interests to get me clients too as they get some of the profit.

eventually if i have enough clients i'd like to maybe pay rent and keep all my earnings but i just can't afford that right now having cut my hrs with my other job to be at the salon more.

it was more a case of advertising myself, when, how etc........it's more of a confidence thing

the problem if i move is that i feel i've wasted 6 months. coz i've only been there 1 or 2 days a week up until now the clients are starting to know me now.

i just feel like i'd be giving up and not persevering with it. the owner there said it often takes around 18 months to build up a good client base and the beautician said it took her over a year. they do help me coz it's in their best interests to get me clients too as they get some of the profit.

eventually if i have enough clients i'd like to maybe pay rent and keep all my earnings but i just can't afford that right now having cut my hrs with my other job to be at the salon more.

it was more a case of advertising myself, when, how etc........it's more of a confidence thing

Well here you have said it and answered your own question. Part time people get part time clients ... it gives out all the wrong signals to everyone.

Don't think I am being harsh ... I know it is scary stuff to give up a job you already have, but until you commit, you will never grow that client base so of course it will take a long time to build up .. if ever.

If you are good, then jump all the way in the water and believe in yourself. It is what I did and what many many others have done (which is why they no longer have the time to spend here on this site!! It is scary but if you don't do it then it just won't happen for you. Really it wo'n't

i get what ur saying but it's gona be really hard - this salon is so close to home (bout 3min drive) and compared to travelling 45mins to covent garden everyday as i have for the last 3 yrs i really want that.

but i'm having to do my NVQ soon because the council won't insure without it so at the moment i;m able to work there as the other beauty therapist has an NVQ so don't want more hassle with that before i've completed it.

Latest posts

Back