Need help with an elderly manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Hey all, this post is going to be jam-packed with very stupid obvious questions, so sorry in advance!
My gran is staying with us at the moment and my mum has just informed me (after my gran said 'So, when are you doing my nails then?') that she'd told my gran I would do a manicure on her. Now I'm still stuffed up to the gills with my cold and for some reason my brain has decided to go on a Christmas holiday without me, so my mind has just gone totally blank about how I should modify my manicure for her.
I'm thinking I probably shouldn't soak her hands, as on quick inspection (ie, I took one look at her nails and dashed up here to the PC!) her nails look quite brittle and yellow and I don't want to waterlog them. I'm also thinking that any super-duper cuticle work will be a bad idea. I'm thinking that really I should just file, shape, cuticle oil, a nice hand massage and a nail strenghtener?
She's also got Parkinsons so her hands can shake sometimes, so I don't want to do anything that could cause trouble if she suddenly starts to shake and my hands slip.
Just hoping someone can reassure me that I'll be going down the right route... to be honest I could just do without this today (lots of outside factors that I won't go into that just don't put me in the mood for working on my particularly grumpy, bossy old gran...;) ), so I think my brain is being extra-stubborn!!!
Anyway, hope everyone is having a nice holiday break,
xxx

hiya, sorry have only just read your post. I do lots of manicures on the elderly, particularly those with Alzheimer's, Parkinsons and also stroke patients. What I do is :
1. a quick dip in some warm water with anti-bac soap and a steradent tab (this often helps to lift some of the yellowing) followed by a very gentle rub over with a nail brush.
2. dry hands, file and shape
3. a little cuticle massage cream applied with a cotton bud (instead of orange stick to minimise risk of injury)
4. clean off with dampened cotton wool pads or lint free wipes
5. hand massage - be careful of thinning skin on hands
6. cuticle oil gentle applied and then excess wiped off as this can also cause irritation.

Hope this helps. Don't mean to sound like an expert, just a technique I use every week with "my dears"!

Good luck

Hi
Warm mitts might be a good idea if you have them.
I am now opting for the waterless manicure since discovering these wonderful mitts.
Cover the hands in some rich moisture cream, pop them into a clear bag and put into warmed mitts for about 10 minutes. Bliss!
Hope you have fun.

Latest posts

Back