Need help with world's greasiest hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellewolf

Reaction score
I'm pretty desperate at this point trying to find a solution to my problem. I have seriously greasy hair for which Ive tried everything recommended to no avail.

I was told not to wash it regularly and let the natural oils work it out, which turned into the most disgusting science experiment. I then switched to gentle cleansers instead of shampoo and it made it completely worse. I cut back conditioner use all the way to not using it which still didn't help (and also made it impossible to brush my hair).

I was also told to try an anti dandruff shampoo, ultra purifying or clarifying shampoos and various holistic products and nothing works.

Its basically like maybe 4 hours after a shower my hair starts to get greasy and its not just the roots. Its unbearable and nothing is helping cut the grease. I cant use styling products because it makes matters worse.

My hair is dyed (to match my natural color, I have about 3 inches of roots). I was even once told to dye my roots to slightly damage them so they would be dryer. Seriously. Nothing works. I have fairly pin straight hair and I'm losing my mind. If anyone has any idea how to combat the worlds most resistant and greasy hair...I'm all ears to new suggestions.

Send help. :(

I have an oil problem too, it's worse when my diet is bad with processed foods and when I don't drink enough water! That alone makes the biggest improvement, I use a clarifying shampoo weekly, but u may need to do this daily to remove the buildup completely first, I then use a shampoo normally with Salic acid in it, and alway have dry shampoo in a bag for touch ups in the afternoon, I wash my hair daily as I was getting hair loss from the oil I think if I went 2 days, hope that helps

Lately I've been using Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo which is clarifying and meant for once a week for product build up but it works great daily (for less than half a day though). Ill try a second type afterwards like you suggested.

I have used dry shampoos but I found that it sort of congeals with the grease and becomes a huge mess...like my hair is possibly too greasy for it so it soaks up and turns into basically dreadlocks. Sighh

Sounds to me like you may have over active sebaceous glands. Chemical Oil stripping products like clarifying shampoos can make the situation worse :(

Have a wander around Google for some home remedies, like lemon juice, apple cider vinegar ETC

I feel chemical products won't help this in the interim interim, if natural home remedies are not helping it will be.a case of a visit to a dermatologist,

I'm assuming your hair isn't over processed and not in your late teens/very early 20's?

I'm 24, and not having any issues with acne or anything but ny face does get greasy from my hair, its just not causing any problems with my skin luckily. My hair was overprocessed for a long time years ago, but now its all new growth and I only dye maybe 2-3 times a year.(It sounds crazy but if I dont slightly damage it the grease goes insane with new healthy hair)
Ive tried apple cider vinegar before which was okay, I've tried some lemon too but it lightened my hair in the process. I just wish I could be like normal women who can wash every couple of days and hold a hairstyle. If I try to curl or wave my hair the grease straightens it right back out! So my hair has no heat damage at least... I'll look up some new holistic ideas, most say to hold off washing for a while but yuck it get so bad. I used Wen one time and laughed/cried because it turned my hair into an oil pit.

Aww bless your heart, you can always go to your Dr to get a referral to a dermatologist dermatologist.
I really hope you get some relief from it one way or another x

Latest posts

Back