Need some advice about day off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaB

Reaction score
I work 40 hours, im the only full time person in the salon out of 3 therapists.
We dont open on mondays.
On the 23rd Dec (which is a monday) ive noticed I have a booking and the other therapist heard my boss say she might open on the monday but I havent been asked yet!

So im not sure what to do as it is my usual day off but then of course im off Christmas day and for a few days.

Am I being difficult if I say I can't work? Its so close to xmas I cant say if ill be busy or not just yet but if prefer not to work on my day off :S

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

We don't open Sundays and Mondays but we will all be in every day in the week running up to Christmas.

That whole week is going to be very very busy for most salons.

Jacqui x

Thanks Jacqui x

What does everyonr else think?

I don't work in a salon so this is purely a personal opinion. I think she needs to discuss this with you before anything further is decided - unless it's in your contract, have you checked? If you've seen that you have someone booked in then I can only assume it's normal practice. Were you there last Christmas? What has been done previously?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

No i havent got a contract...
And last years christmas eve fell on a monday so of course I had to work.
Just asked my boss about it and she said she booked the lady in preliminary and was going ask me and other girl what we thought x

No i havent got a contract...
And last years christmas eve fell on a monday so of course I had to work.
Just asked my boss about it and she said she booked the lady in preliminary and was going ask me and other girl what we thought x

So it's all sorted now? :)

I'm glad she said that she was planning to ask what you both thought. But you should also have a contract. While things are smooth it may not seem necessary, but if anything was to go wrong you both need to know where you stand. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would have thought if it's your usual day off and she wants you to work it should be treated as special, either time and a half or double time.

Unfortunately whatever you've done in the past sets a president for it in the future, so if you worked it last year, she'd expect you to do the same.

I hope you're happy with whatever way it works out.

I don't pay any extra rate for overtime. It's standard pay. Unless it's a bank holiday.

I too would book people in and see what thins are like closer to the time.

The run up to Xmas is a busy time and we will probably open Sunday and the Monday before hand and it will be expected that everyone can do some hours over this time.

Jemima :)

Normally in salons I have worked in, we haven't taken our day off in the days before Xmas eve but had it after the boxing day so for example this year, the Friday after boxing day will be closed to allow for staff who normally have Monday off to have their day off then. Will also do that after new years day too so that salon is staffed on Monday and tues of NYE but will be closed we'd for new years day and Thursday for day offs, back open on fri. X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone I think she's going to wait till the other therapist and see what she wants to do x

Latest posts

Back