Need some help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
I could just do with some advice please.

Iv not been in this industry long at all, I recently qualified in June this year. Since doing my qualification (VRQ Beauty Therapy Level 2) I became part time doing mobile and 3 weeks ago I got offered the top floor above a hairdressers local to me in which now I work full time for myself.

As soon as I qualified in June I had a 2 day at gone training course with Bellisima. I did gel extensions, sculptures, gel skills and working with colour. In this training we briefly touched on gel polish (Iv already done a qualification in it at college) I got told the polish was a soak off polish. However, when I came to doing my first client for gel fingers, I tried soaking them off using the soak off solution but it never worked. I had buffed the nail to take off the top coat prior to wrapping it up. Since then I just filed it off very gently and Iv never had any problems or concerns in doing that until today.

Today I had a client come in that used to have her nails done with the girl that rented the top floor before me. I tried filing the gel off like I would with my polish (I had no idea what was on her nails) after a few strokes I could see it wasn't breaking away like the Bella finito that I use. So I decided it had to be soaked off. It took me an hour and a half. The woman's nails underneath were paper thin, all flaking and where braking. Iv been told the girl before me just used to file the gel off. So I'm presuming this is what's caused this clients nails to be so damaged.

I feel like Iv been doing the wrong thing in the past by filing of gel polish but I know Iv been gentle and Iv got a girl that has the colour changed every 2 weeks and her nails are still in the same condition as when we first started back in July. So surely what I'm doing isn't awfully wrong? I know in not using the force as the girl before me has done to her clients in the past.

I also keep being asked by new clients if gel polish damages your nails and my response is it depends on how the nails are prepped and removed. Is that the right answer?

Please can somebody help me?

Firstly you need to research the product your working with, what gel polish is it?
I personally wouldn't be filing it off, there should be a soak off with the same brand of gel polish I would look into forums and contact your trainer on the best way to remove, Gel polishes shouldn't damage your nails, providing they are applied and removed correctly.
I hope you find the answers your looking for! X

Firstly you need to research the product your working with, what gel polish is it?
I personally wouldn't be filing it off, there should be a soak off with the same brand of gel polish I would look into forums and contact your trainer on the best way to remove, Gel polishes shouldn't damage your nails, providing they are applied and removed correctly.
I hope you find the answers your looking for! X

The polish I am using is Bella Finito by Bellissima (I'm using the bottles up that I got with training but looking to go with IBD and have bought two IBD colours) it never soaked off and I used there soak off product.

The client I had today with the damaged nails had gel done by the tech before me and she left on bad terms, so i really don't know what it was.

I am right in saying to clients it doesn't damage your nails then?

Thank you for your reply, I just feel like I need some direction! Xx

The polish I am using is Bella Finito by Bellissima (I'm using the bottles up that I got with training but looking to go with IBD and have bought two IBD colours) it never soaked off and I used there soak off product.

The client I had today with the damaged nails had gel done by the tech before me and she left on bad terms, so i really don't know what it was.

I am right in saying to clients it doesn't damage your nails then?

Thank you for your reply, I just feel like I need some direction! Xx

I would contact bellissima and ask them for advice or search the Internet, what I say is that it won't damage your nails providing it has been applied and removed correctly, some clients think it damages your nails because when they've picked it off there is some damage but that is simply from it being picked off, gel polishes should be soaked off in the method used with the specific system, have you tried to soak them with acetone? I soak a lint free nail pad in acetone and wrap in a foil wrap the heat from the body helps speed up the process or even adding a little bit of heat to your soak off product will help x

Also before using a soak off you should buff the top coat off to break the seal x

Also before using a soak off you should buff the top coat off to break the seal x

Well without going into to much detail on the Bellissima subject, I was going to take them to trading standards over a lot of things. To be fair I had a good case but I didn't have the energy to fight the battle.

Yeah I broke the top seal.

Also, when I took this gel of the client today the girl before had painted the clients nails orange. Now when I eventually got whatever it was off her nails where stained orange. I'm presuming the tech before me didn't put a base coat on? Could I be right?

I just want to get using this IBD now.
I tried everything you said today Hun on the client today with the god knows what polish and with my Bella finito?

Xxx

Don't buff the gel polish off, you will be taking layers of the natural nail off

The best way is as stated above, lightly buff shine then use acetone or gel polish remover soak small lint free pads or cotton wool pads in it then place over the nail and wrap in foil, this should take 15 mins max

If the product you're using isn't coming off as it should I would stop using and contact the company, I'd be moving in to different brand straight away in your situation

Thank you for your advice!

I was just buffing off the Bella finito and thought it would be fine I was being gentle and not going hell for leather but seeing that clients nails yesterday it worried me.

Just to make it dead clear I didn't mess that clients nails up it was the old tech.

Iv used smart polish before now and it just soaked straight off it was great.

Thank you again, I am starting a collection off with IBD got 2 colours so far! Xx

Hi, I use ibd just gel polish, it's a great product. Easy to apply and easy to remove!
I have about 70+ colours and swatches on my Facebook page if you want to have a look: www.facebook.com/belsgels
If you have any questions I am always happy to help, if I can.
As for clients who tell me that products ruin nails, I always tell them that it's not the product but the person carrying out the service who does the damage. I don't dwell on it or bad mouth their previous manicurist I just explain that I am a trained technician and being so I know the do's and dont's and will treat their nails with care.
Good luck with your new venture. xo

Hi, I use ibd just gel polish, it's a great product. Easy to apply and easy to remove!
I have about 70+ colours and swatches on my Facebook page if you want to have a look: www.facebook.com/belsgels
If you have any questions I am always happy to help, if I can.
As for clients who tell me that products ruin nails, I always tell them that it's not the product but the person carrying out the service who does the damage. I don't dwell on it or bad mouth their previous manicurist I just explain that I am a trained technician and being so I know the do's and dont's and will treat their nails with care.
Good luck with your new venture. xo

Thank you ever so much! Iv just had a look and wow!
I always thought it was down to the tech whether the client ended up with damaged nails or not.
What do you find are the most popular colours with IBD xxx

Thank you ever so much! Iv just had a look and wow!
I always thought it was down to the tech whether the client ended up with damaged nails or not.
What do you find are the most popular colours with IBD xxx

To be honest having so many colours to choose from, none of my clients have picked the same colour twice. I don't think my clients have ever chosen the same as another client either. I have varied clients from all age groups. Some love the pastels (the younger ones) others like the lighter, nude tones (the older ones). But I can't say there is any definite stand outs.

I buy colours that I like and would possibly wear, not that I have tried them all yet.

There are some colours which have coverage or application issues so if there are certain colours you are looking at getting and you want to ask me my opinion I will give you an honest one. There are some colours I have bought which have left me disappointed and I would never buy them again.

Hope this helps xo

Thank you tinkerbel!

Iv been disappointed with silver lites, it's a lot more subtle than advertised! I think it's going to be better over the top of another colour.
Iv got cosmic red and just ordered HRH, Meteorite, the abys and I think she's blushing (may have got names wrong here!)

Thank you tinkerbel!

Iv been disappointed with silver lites, it's a lot more subtle than advertised! I think it's going to be better over the top of another colour.
Iv got cosmic red and just ordered HRH, Meteorite, the abys and I think she's blushing (may have got names wrong here!)

Make sure you shake the bottle REALLY well, in fact make sure you shake or roll all the ibd JGP bottles before use. The pigment does settle in the bottle.

Yes Silver Lites is quite subtle but would look stunning over some of those darker colours you have mentioned (Meteorite, The Abyss & HRH) or even just on one nail as as a feature. If you are looking for a lot of bling then All That Glitters is the JGP for you! It coats really opaque, probably only need two coats. It is a chunkier glitter than Silver Lites but really stunning!

Love your colour choices by the way, they are all lovely colours. xo

Thank you tinkerbel!

Meteorite and abyss are on my to get list, let me know how they are :) I LOVE IBD just gel, im wearing inspire me at the moment and im in love with it :) peony boquet has been a popular colour at our salon too :)
Great advise above ^^^^ :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389173867.322730.jpg

I couldnt get my hand at a good enough angle to get the best pic of the colour sorry

P.s excuse the god awful cuticles, theyve never been so neglected lol xx

I couldnt get my hand at a good enough angle to get the best pic of the colour sorry

P.s excuse the god awful cuticles, theyve never been so neglected lol xx

I always find those types of colours & blues are the worst to get a good photo of. The photos never do the colour justice.

Meteorite and The Abyss are both stunning colours. The Abyss is navy with a shimmer and Meteorite is like a petrol blue with shimmer, so lovely.

I have swatches of them on my facebook page if you want to look: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.385979784849560.1073741826.317999844980888&type=3

I always find those types of colours & blues are the worst to get a good photo of. The photos never do the colour justice.

Meteorite and The Abyss are both stunning colours. The Abyss is navy with a shimmer and Meteorite is like a petrol blue with shimmer, so lovely.

I have swatches of them on my facebook page if you want to look: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.385979784849560.1073741826.317999844980888&type=3

Yes definately, they are little buggers to get a good picture lol

Ive already got you on fbook :) ill have a mooch for them now :) <3

Thank you so much again!
Iv Lso got whipped cream is it good?
Iv liked your page, can't believe your work.

How have you done this? It's gorgeousImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389213504.777250.jpg!!

Latest posts

Back