Neutralising/achieving an ash blonde ombré

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missy_94

Reaction score
Hi

I have a client who I've done a strand test for. She has quite dark ombre going on. I used blonder 9% and 6% and it has lifted nicely to a level 7/8. (See pic 1)

The client is after something like pic 2. A grey/ash ombre with blonde tips and level 2 melt at the roots (she has 2 months growth so I'm just planning to blend the down once I've got the rest right.

I am thinking about using a wells 7/81 or 8/69 to neutralise the orange undertones in her mid lengths. But feel lost as to what I should do to create the ombre look and which colours to go with? I have access to most brands.

I was thinking about wella 8/81 + 2/0 but feel uncertain whether that would give enough depth.

I only qualified last summer and don't have much experience with colour corrections specially with darker hair colours. But I want to start building my confidence so any help would be appreciated.xx

Attachments

• IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    493 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 87
Hi

I have a client who I've done a strand test for. She has quite dark ombre going on. I used blonder 9% and 6% and it has lifted nicely to a level 7/8. (See pic 1)

The client is after something like pic 2. A grey/ash ombre with blonde tips and level 2 melt at the roots (she has 2 months growth so I'm just planning to blend the down once I've got the rest right.

I am thinking about using a wells 7/81 or 8/69 to neutralise the orange undertones in her mid lengths. But feel lost as to what I should do to create the ombre look and which colours to go with? I have access to most brands.

I was thinking about wella 8/81 + 2/0 but feel uncertain whether that would give enough depth.

I only qualified last summer and don't have much experience with colour corrections specially with darker hair colours. But I want to start building my confidence so any help would be appreciated.xx

Sorry the following picture is the one she has sent me of what she's after x

Attachments

• IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 77
Anyone please?x

Normally, you have to lift it to a 10, then neutralise the pale yellow with a violet based toner then go in with grey tint, otherwise, you risk it looking a bit khaki (like in the target picture?).
There are several brands of colour that offer grey tints now so it might be worth exploring them and see if there's any that will work well on a lower level. If she's a natural 2, her hair could be quite compromised if you try lifting it any further.

It might just be the lighting but that hair looks more of a 6 to me. This is one of those times when strand testing would be really helpful and you probably need to lower your clients expectations to something achievable, that isn't going to leave her Hair seriously damaged.

Normally, you have to lift it to a 10, then neutralise the pale yellow with a violet based toner then go in with grey tint, otherwise, you risk it looking a bit khaki (like in the target picture?).
There are several brands of colour that offer grey tints now so it might be worth exploring them and see if there's any that will work well on a lower level. If she's a natural 2, her hair could be quite compromised if you try lifting it any further.

It might just be the lighting but that hair looks more of a 6 to me. This is one of those times when strand testing would be really helpful and you probably need to lower your clients expectations to something achievable, that isn't going to leave her Hair seriously damaged.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I did do a strand test and it's come out around a 7, but extremely orangy. Her hair is still in a decent condition. I explained to her the khaki issue but she said she's ok with it as long as there are no orange tones in it.

I am thinking about using wella 8/69 to neutralise and then using guy tang's colour range. Will post results once done. I'm seeing her on Thursday.x

Latest posts

Back