NEVER DONE ACRYLIC and have a client wanting Acrylic soaked off!!HELP!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmillieShellac

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Ive just been told Ive been booked in an appointment tomorrow with a lady who wants her acrylics soaked off!!

I have NEVER done acrylics or saoked them off, I do Shellac all day every day, and this has been booked in by one of the girls aahhhh!!

So I need advice as what to do, as she wants Shellac on after her acrylics have come off.

Please help........any advice would be most grateful.
Thank u, thank u, thank u
SS

Is there anyone else that does have experience that could do it?

Its not always as simple as soaking in remover and scraping off.

Its a little difficult, especially if you have never seen her and dont know where she previously had her nails done.... they could be coated with a gel top coat, which would need to be filed off or they could be a poor quality L&P or even MMA which will take a lifetime to soak off!!

Personally, when removing, i file down the bulk, soak cotton wool or pad in remover and wrap in foil (or use magiswraps which make it a bit speedier for me)

Honestly though, i'm not sure its something you should attempt for the first time on a paying client. :hug: xxxx

Whether you use an efile or hand file, remove as much of the enhancement as safely possible. It's real imporant not to over file! Once one hand is complete, submerge those fingertips in acetone bath (or use wraps) while you work on the other hand. Once the other hand is complete, submerge those fingertips in acetone bath (or use wraps) as well.

Depending on how much product you were able to remove filing, your soaking time will vary. Check the progress periodically if you're using the acetone bath method; but it can take up 30-45 minutes.

File over the nail to remove gel,topcoat, then u will need two plastic bowls to put acetone in, must be acetone not gel or shellac remover. Soak hands for 10 mins. Then take out first hand and file off the dissolved product it will be like a sticky mess, then place back in bowl and start on the other hand and keep alternating, I warm acetone by putting it in a bowl and standing the bowl in a bigger bowl of hot water. Prior to starting. It is tedious but is a good opportunity to get to know ur new client, from what I have heard shellac can sometimes not last as well on nails that have been used to enhancements, so u will need to explain. this to your client just in case but emphasise that if she perservers with it she will have exceptional nails in no time. Good luck and I would allow at least an hr for the soak off

Thanks girls, I'm now petrified!! I know the girls in the salon meant no harm as she was badly wanting Shellac and they thought it would be a good way of helping out a nice lady! Apparently she said she tried to soak them in Acetone and they didnt budge!
ooohhh noo Im starting to panic
:Scared:

Thank you FairyDust I really appreciate that! I have pure acetone and will use the warming technique!
Sorry for another question but how much should I charge her, the girls have booked me for an hour, but how much does an acrylic removal usually cost?
Thank u soo much again
SS

Don't panic. Experience tells me she tried to soak them off without removing any of the enhancements and/or gel overlay. You have to get through all of that "bulk" first. It is tedious but not difficult at all. Just file as much off as you can, soak and alternate hands as remove product.

Don't over think it.

When I have clients booked in for a Soak Off it's 30 mins....but I have had a couple of ladies in lately and their acrylics have been a nightmare to get off....going all glue-like and clinging to the nail - all of them say they got their nails done in a "chinese" place....I fear the reason for the gloopy, glue-like acrylic might be MMA...??? As other acrylics I've soaked off (mainly ours which is NSI) have come off no problem with a 15 minute soak in warmed acetone.

To answer your question, we charge £6 for a soak off (that's in 30 mins), or it can be free if they are having another set of nails or Gelac done.

My acrylic can go gloopy and I only ever use nsi attraction, I wud charge ten pounds as time is money and they can take up to an hr esp if ur not used to doing it, maybe 5 if u are then shellacing, dont panic and try to rush. Let the acetone do the work for you, if u panic and check every 2 mins its gonna take forever! Good luck let us know how u go on x

The key here to reduce your time is to make sure you file off the bulk of the product first.
Make sure you move your file after a few strokes to avoid heat build up. Use a low grit file like 150 or even 100 (I use 100 to remove most bilk then change u to a 150 for the last little bit).
Warming the acetone is an excellent idea and it really does help. You could also add a few drops of cuticle oil to the acetone to help avoid the skin getting dehydrated so much and getting the horrible white skin look.
Be gentle when you are filing off the last bits, I use an orange wood stick to gently scrape it off and then a 240 soft buffer to GENTLY buff off any remainder.

If you decide to use the foil wrap method, it find it helps to put the clients hands in a warming mitt, heat pack/hot towel etc, the same thing as the warm acetone in the bowl theory. It really does reduce the time.

I think you are going to be hard pressed to fit this client in in the hour time slot if this is your first removal, is there any chance you could extend the time a bit so you are not making yourself late for your next client?

But stay calm and think about your steps calmly, even write them down if you have to and I'm sure you will be right.
Good luck:)

Good Evening Geeks,
I am just in its has been a jam packed day!
Thank you sooo much for all your advice, it took it total 1hr 30mins, this was to soak off (using warm acetone, thank u) then buffing!
They were sooo think Ive never seen anything that thick, she hated them as soon as they were done apparently!
They eventually came off and her nails were a mess so I filed them and polished them with a strengthener and she was off, I charged her £32 and she seemed delighted but I found it very stressful as I was sure part of her nail would come off so I was very gentle!
Could not have done it without you all, thank you Geeks it is MUCH appreciated.
SS
x

Good Evening Geeks,
I am just in its has been a jam packed day!
Thank you sooo much for all your advice, it took it total 1hr 30mins, this was to soak off (using warm acetone, thank u) then buffing!
They were sooo think Ive never seen anything that thick, she hated them as soon as they were done apparently!
They eventually came off and her nails were a mess so I filed them and polished them with a strengthener and she was off, I charged her £32 and she seemed delighted but I found it very stressful as I was sure part of her nail would come off so I was very gentle!
Could not have done it without you all, thank you Geeks it is MUCH appreciated.
SS
x

So now you have that experience under your belt and from now on, you'll know what to do and the process will be a little quicker each time. You must've done a good job because your client left happy and she'll probably return.

I'm so happy for you!

Latest posts

Back