New barbers how long to get busy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lfox

Reaction score
Hi iv been a ladies hairdresser since I left school at 16 now 36 being mobile for the last 10 years, iv did a few weeks in a barbers just as a favor, and I loved it! Long story short iv converted an old stable attached to my parents pub into a barbers, I went on a few days barber course to better my barbering skills and to do hot towel shaves.
So my barbers has the wow factor , like walking back in time checked floor chunky oak free standing units, old beams etc, I get a lot of wows when people come in. Iv had great feed back on my facebook page about my haircuts/shaved and the look of the place. I'v been open since middle of March, I'm always getting new faces and they all come back so that's good, Friday's and Saturdays are steady... But Tuesday Wednesday & Thursday's most of the time are so quiet I can sit Al day with no one. It's so boring!!! I know these things take time, but would like to know in everyone's experience how long it took them? I'm not in center of town, but I'm in a good drive by location, as I'm at bottom of the hill as you drive into the small town, and you can just park right outside in pub car park.
Iv done loads of advertising, free half beer with every haircut, loyalty cards etc, postings on my facebook page, handing out leaflets... What more can I do?

Have you a sign outside on the street? Maybe no appointment needed or something? Maybe vouchers in local paper and do any cuts next Wednesday or Thursday for charity? Vouchers for a local football team mention the beer thing. Once you've built up people through the door you will be flying. It does take time. Maybe close a Wednesday I find this a quiet day x

Have you a sign outside on the street? Maybe no appointment needed or something? Maybe vouchers in local paper and do any cuts next Wednesday or Thursday for charity? Vouchers for a local football team mention the beer thing. Once you've built up people through the door you will be flying. It does take time. Maybe close a Wednesday I find this a quiet day x
Iv got so many ladies wanting their hair done and my existing clients who I do on a Monday... It seems silly to turn them away and I can't afford to turn them away, so iv started doing appointments only from 9 till 3 so I can book ladies or gents in, then walk ins after 3, and see how it goes Im kinf of wishing I'd done a unisex salon rather than just a barbers. But I'm tweeking it as I go along, iv now brought a load of colour stock, ladies products aswell.
I do have a sign on the rd. and an add going in the local booklet on Wednesday to put the new appointment system out there.
It's just walkin on a Saturday though

Hi iv been a ladies hairdresser since I left school at 16 now 36 being mobile for the last 10 years, iv did a few weeks in a barbers just as a favor, and I loved it! Long story short iv converted an old stable attached to my parents pub into a barbers, I went on a few days barber course to better my barbering skills and to do hot towel shaves.
So my barbers has the wow factor , like walking back in time checked floor chunky oak free standing units, old beams etc, I get a lot of wows when people come in. Iv had great feed back on my facebook page about my haircuts/shaved and the look of the place. I'v been open since middle of March, I'm always getting new faces and they all come back so that's good, Friday's and Saturdays are steady... But Tuesday Wednesday & Thursday's most of the time are so quiet I can sit Al day with no one. It's so boring!!! I know these things take time, but would like to know in everyone's experience how long it took them? I'm not in center of town, but I'm in a good drive by location, as I'm at bottom of the hill as you drive into the small town, and you can just park right outside in pub car park.
Iv done loads of advertising, free half beer with every haircut, loyalty cards etc, postings on my facebook page, handing out leaflets... What more can I do?
This is more business orientated. Have a look for advice in the business threads.

Target retired men, their not in work in the week so can come during week days :) go to other local pubs and advertise there, also cricket/golf/boules clubs etc, the paper shop is a great place to tell people about your business too, all old people buy a paper every day & the local community all go there every day :) maybe do a poster with a pic of the inside of your shop so the oldies will be interested to come have a look :)

Latest posts

Back