New direction in life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenBarlowww

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 23 year old who has just finished university in Graphic design.
However I seem to be having problems getting into that industry so I am hoping to go for plan B.

I currently work in a call centre but I absolutely hate it, to the point where I am having panic attacks due to being scared of losing my job as it is a high turn over call centre, and they use every excuse going to get rid of somebody.

I am wanting to get into hair and hair extensions but due to my age, I am unable to get any funding to do a course or at least I think I am? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
and I have too many commitments to be able to an apprenticeship and lose about £600pm.

Do anybody have suggestions, I really need help to get where I want in life and currently thinking hair dressing / hair extensions is somewhat where it lies and may have taken a slightly wrong path in regards to free education - stupid I know.

My mam was a hair dresser and my great grandma.

Please help :(

Depending on what state your in each state requires different hours for completion to receiving your cosmetology liscence. But there are many ways you can do it. I went to school in California and got some grants. I was lucky but still making payments on my student loan but well worth it. They shpuld have the option on night class and even part time so you may work as well. Then you have the option of starting payment 6 months after you graduate also affordable monthly payments. Hair extensions I took a separate class for but only took 1 day to learn. Paid for my kit and class fee and came with everything needed to start doing extensions. Donna bella milan or go to Donnabellahair.com I think is the site. Well worth it and I think you should jump on the school now. Trust me if thats wete your heart truly lies then its okay to change direction in life. People do it often. Besides thie hair and beauty indudtry is soo much fun! You can be your own boss work on your own schedule shoot even have tons of tattoos and multicolored hair and it would be okay :)

Hope this helps

Depending on what state your in each state requires different hours for completion to receiving your cosmetology liscence. But there are many ways you can do it. I went to school in California and got some grants. I was lucky but still making payments on my student loan but well worth it. They shpuld have the option on night class and even part time so you may work as well. Then you have the option of starting payment 6 months after you graduate also affordable monthly payments. Hair extensions I took a separate class for but only took 1 day to learn. Paid for my kit and class fee and came with everything needed to start doing extensions. Donna bella milan or go to Donnabellahair.com I think is the site. Well worth it and I think you should jump on the school now. Trust me if thats wete your heart truly lies then its okay to change direction in life. People do it often. Besides thie hair and beauty indudtry is soo much fun! You can be your own boss work on your own schedule shoot even have tons of tattoos and multicolored hair and it would be okay :)

Hope this helps

Don't thinks she's in the states , she's in the uk x

I am 28 and the college helped fund my course. If you are doing level 3 you can get a 24+ loan. Colleges also offer a payment plan and the fees for level 2 for me in beauty were 1500 divided by 6, and paid half termly. Some colleges were cheaper. This was before funding, and not including kit and uniform.

As for living expenses, I dont think theres much you can do but you can work part time as "full time" at college is about 15hrspw. It'd be up to you to whittle down your living costs.

However, are you really through with graphic design after spending all that time and money? Have you tried everything and ploughed through? Hair and beauty isnt the easy option and there are many drop puts once people realise this.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm just not sure.
I know it's a massive change after spending all the time and money doing it. It's not a useless degree either. I just can't seem to get going and I feel I need to act fast to be able to do something with my life and would rather do it whilst I'm not too tied down with a baby etc.

I might pop into a college and see what they suggest. My problem is mainly money as I won't review financial help from government at all no doubt. Unless you don't work then you get everything thrown at you but I've more pride than that lol.

Thats not true though...I come across soooo many people looking to retrain and they all ask what they can get from the government. Most of the time, nothing but the COLLEGE has a funding system and this is true of every college, and you may be eligible for some help. This is indirectly from the government but the college decides based on theit policies so speak to them.

Oh hun there is no rush!!! You're 23!! Its still hard to get work, theres competition and you need to be good, there are loads of threads on here about how they cant get clients so I would just sit and think about what you REALLY want to do...you're not running out of time, and if graphic design can still totally work for you, its a different kind if hard. Have a good think about where your passion lies and what gets you excited. Maybe contact some graphic designers in the field you wanted to go into for mentoring? X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Some colleges offer hairdressing on a part-time basis for mature students so you can continue working & earning whilst studying. To obtain employment as a junior stylist, you would need at least an NVQ or similar at level 2.

Also, contact all the colleges within a reasonable travelling distance, as courses vary enormously.

Thanks,

I think I'm just starting to panic. as I want to do all sorted but being stuck in a call centre isn't helping me at all. Not with work, not with confidence and certainly not with money either.

Latest posts

Back