New extensions, not as happy :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sher16

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have hair extensions fitted regularly, a new set put in just the other day and it pains me to say I am not thrilled :( infact I am fretting a bit over it!

When I had my last set out, I had my hair chopped in to a long (just at shoulders) blunt bob, fearne cotton style.
Last time I had 180 1gram bonds, this time I have the full 200 bonds in and yet it looks a mess.

I had my hair coloured same day before the extensions were fitted and when colouring, I some lowlights scattered through to match the extensions as I have a mix of 60, 22 and 18 put in. However the lowlights of my natural hair are darker than the 18.

On top of that, I dont think the bonds go up as high on my scalp as they normally do, they seem to be placed closer together so the full 200 was used before reaching as high which now has resulted in a big top heavy layer which is cut bluntly (due to my hair cut) and because of the darker low light its blatantly obvious. I have a big top layer, which is darker sitting over a long mass of extensions hanging from underneath. Hope this explains. I can add a photo.

To fix - I was told to wash the top section of natural hair to try and fade the lowlight, I have did this four times in 2 days. I was told to fix the heaviness i'll need to add a few more rows of bonds further up the scalp above the existing rows, so I am having 40more bonds fitted.

My question is - to extensionist geeks - is this going to work? Or am I going to get to end of week and still want to cry?

Any advice appreciated.. from a very stressed blonde! :eek:

x

Hi Geeks

I have hair extensions fitted regularly, a new set put in just the other day and it pains me to say I am not thrilled :( infact I am fretting a bit over it!

When I had my last set out, I had my hair chopped in to a long (just at shoulders) blunt bob, fearne cotton style.
Last time I had 180 1gram bonds, this time I have the full 200 bonds in and yet it looks a mess.

I had my hair coloured same day before the extensions were fitted and when colouring, I some lowlights scattered through to match the extensions as I have a mix of 60, 22 and 18 put in. However the lowlights of my natural hair are darker than the 18.

On top of that, I dont think the bonds go up as high on my scalp as they normally do, they seem to be placed closer together so the full 200 was used before reaching as high which now has resulted in a big top heavy layer which is cut bluntly (due to my hair cut) and because of the darker low light its blatantly obvious. I have a big top layer, which is darker sitting over a long mass of extensions hanging from underneath. Hope this explains. I can add a photo.

To fix - I was told to wash the top section of natural hair to try and fade the lowlight, I have did this four times in 2 days. I was told to fix the heaviness i'll need to add a few more rows of bonds further up the scalp above the existing rows, so I am having 40more bonds fitted.

My question is - to extensionist geeks - is this going to work? Or am I going to get to end of week and still want to cry?

Any advice appreciated.. from a very stressed blonde! :eek:

x

Lots of questions before I can give an answer so sorry in advance.

1. did you go to the same person that fitted your extensions last time?
2. are you re-using the hair from last time?
3. did you tell the stylist that cut your hair you were having extensions? (blunt cuts are very hard to blend extensions in)
4. did the extensionist match the colour of your hair?
5. is the hair 1g? 200g of hair seems alot to be attatched to your natural hair

Can you upload a pic please?

Lots of questions before I can give an answer so sorry in advance.

1. did you go to the same person that fitted your extensions last time?
2. are you re-using the hair from last time?
3. did you tell the stylist that cut your hair you were having extensions? (blunt cuts are very hard to blend extensions in)
4. did the extensionist match the colour of your hair?
5. is the hair 1g? 200g of hair seems alot to be attatched to your natural hair

Can you upload a pic please?

Hiya

No probs :)

Yes same person. Same person coloured it too. They also discussed extension colours and my hair colouring so didnt foresee it not matching. It has been 8wks since i had it cut bluntly, so its grown around an inch and isnt as blunt. I did mention that itd need cut as the person who cut it told me that as they knew id be getting them back in.

Its 0.8 bonds (apologies, not 1g as i thought) but all 200 are in.

Its new hair, same colours as i have had before.

Here are a couple of pics. First is when first fitted (same day) second is after ive tried to fade out my low lights in my natural hair they instructed me on what to do) colour has fades so i am now hoping that another two rows through top will lessen the layer and make it look less heavy. Im stressing a lot as i have a wedding this weekend and so far have had to wear it tied up which isnt the best as its just been fitted- the best time to show it off!! :-(

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334681932.655024.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334681932.655024.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 303
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334682057.656691.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334682057.656691.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 312
To me it looks like three things:

1. As you mentioned she has not gone high enough on the head. With blunt via like bobs and shorter hair you need to go higher up in order to make that blunt line less blunt. So she should have added more and gone higher. Though it does look like she has added a lot of hair she should have gone higher.

2. The colour match seems a bit off.it looks like your hair is darker and that the extensions have some lighter ones that don't really match your natural hair as much.

3. Hard to see from you picture but it also looks like there is not enough on the sides and this will make it more "mullet" looking and the line in the back not as smooth and gradual. Now it kind of looks like its mostly in the back and it should be more of a v in the back

The only things tht can be done is to razor the blunt line in your hair, curl it for the wedding to make the line less visible and keep washing your top hair. Not much more to advise! Have you not spoken to your extensionist? The best thing is for her to add
More on the top and sides in the right color.

Last edited:

1. As you mentioned she has not gone high enough on the head. With blunt via like bobs and shorter hair you need to go higher up in order to make that blunt line less blunt. So she should have added more and gone higher. Though it does look like she has added a lot of hair she should have gone higher.

2. The colour match seems a bit off.it looks like your hair is darker and that the extensions have some lighter ones that don't really match your natural hair as much.

3. Hard to see from you picture but it also looks like there is not enough on the sides and this will make it more "mullet" looking and the line in the back not as smooth and gradual. Now it kind of looks like its mostly in the back and it should be more of a v in the back

The only things tht can be done is to razor the blunt line in your hair, curl it for the wedding to make the line less visible and keep washing your top hair. Not much more to advise! Have you not spoken to your extensionist? The best thing is for her to add

Thanks very much. I feel reassured with your advice.

I did contact them about an hour after they left to say i wasnt quite happy. They are coming back this week to put 40 more bonds in. Will this be enough?

There is actually alot round sides - my pictures arent the best ;-) but ive suggested the extra hair to go round back and sides. Im hoping theres enough to take a good chunk of the heaviness away.

Then whatever is left could be worked with.

My hair is bleached with ash toner and low lights but the low lights were ashy brown and 18 is more ashy dark blonde. So it made it look darker. Now its fading looks alot better. Ive never had any probs and always been ecstatic with every set of extensions ive had so you can prob imagine my fretting! Ha ha...

I am going to wash the top section of my hair only again tonight. Was told to wash it and scrub washing powder in as it helps fade colour...i will smell like fresh laundry tomorrow :-/

Thanks again...

Also I think they might need to be cut and blended a bit more to create more layers, think this will make it look less obvious.

Also I think they might need to be cut and blended a bit more to create more layers, think this will make it look less obvious.

Do you have any pics or know where i can find pics of extensions with layers in so i can have a look and prit them out just so i can have them to show too? Just want to make sure they are perfect

Thanks v much! X

You can't really see much of the layers in images. It just makes it blend better, especially when straight but also when curly as it is not just short and then long there is layers in between. It's hard to show a picture of what I mean. It just means when the hair is short it needs more layers. Just means you cut or razor in more layers it makes it look fuller and less obvious. But i dont mean obvious layers either just to make it not one blunt line where your natural hair meets the extensions. Hard to explain really! I'm sure your hair extensionist should know how to do this if she's qualified.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334695586.649458.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334695586.649458.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 233
You can't really see much of the layers in images. It just makes it blend better, especially when straight but also when curly as it is not just short and then long there is layers in between. It's hard to show a picture of what I mean. It just means when the hair is short it needs more layers. Just means you cut or razor in more layers it makes it look fuller and less obvious. But i dont mean obvious layers either just to make it not one blunt line where your natural hair meets the extensions. Hard to explain really! I'm sure your hair extensionist should know how to do this if she's qualified.

Completely agree with this post.

You've got such a heavy line with your natural hair it needs some layers through the extensions.

With pictures of finished work it's hard to see them but it will look tons better when blended properly (and with the extra hair)

Plus if your doing it curly alot it curls so much nicer x

Out of interest will you post a pic when its finished x

Course i will.

Here is a pic of what it was like last time i had a new set in (oct last year) it was razored (i remember asking what he was doing :) ) so it definitely was layered and until this time, Ive never had any sort of line or separate top layer...or not been anything except thrilled....so, i am hopeful ill have fixed hair in 24hrs time ! Cross your fingers for me !

Thank you both for your help xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334696742.233838.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334696742.233838.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 217
That look really good! Fingers crossed x

Here is a pic with top layer tied up. I think this shows that the top layer (without any bonds) is too large. Ignore crap curls i barely touched it today apart from tying it up so full of kinks :o/

Anyway, thanks both for your advice, feel alot better now! Less stressed anyway!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334697067.565695.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334697067.565695.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 216
Aw it's awful when your not happy with your hair but I'm sure will get sorted, big hugs. Xx

Again I think it's the lack of layers that really make it look that obvious, even with hair tied up you can tell it is not layered as much as it should be as it all looks pretty much one length.

Again I think it's the lack of layers that really make it look that obvious, even with hair tied up you can tell it is not layered as much as it should be as it all looks pretty much one length.

Thanks v much, really value your advice and input. Thanks! X

I agree, you need more hair to be added in the sides and back sections. The hair needs more layering throughout.

I am pleased to say i am once again super happy! Forty bonds added, razor cut and blended and it looks the bomb. I also washed my top part once more and it matches well too.

Thanks all for your advice X

Good to hear. Enjoy your long hair xx

Latest posts

Back