New hair salon advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glam Salon

Reaction score
Hello all!!

I currently have a well established and successful Beauty salon near Glasgow, for the past few years lots of clients have asked me to hair in the salon, and although it's quite big, i use all the space.
But, a few weeks ago, a shop 2 buildings down became available so i snapped it up.
We're planning to open in Nov and have just had a few interviews with potential stylists, and some of the things they spoke about did not come into my head as i'm not a hair stylist...

I need your advice -
What brand should i use for colours??
What products should i endorse for treatments??
Do you sell lots of retail??
Whats the average wage of a stylist (12years)
Whats the average wage for a junior??

Many Thanks in Advance!!!

Employ a manager!

If you have no clue about the industry or how to run a hair salon or manage hairdressers you need someone who can.

Every salon I know that has a non hairdresser owner has a hairdressing manager.

How can we tell you what brand to stock, what wages to pay when we don't know your business, where it is, or what your plans are!

If you're going to employ hairdressing staff, how will you manage any complaints from clients or disputes between the staff about promotions, supplies and training?

Hairdressers on the whole do not manage themselves!

It really is a very different ball game to beauty and you will need a manager to oversee the day to day running of the business if you do not have a hairdressing background yourself.

The benefits of employing a well qualified and experienced manager will easily outweigh the additional salary costs.

I agree you need a hairdressing manager... If a client is wanting a refund because she asked for honey blonde n she thinks it's Carmel, or a client wants a refund because she doesn't like a cut how will u determine which is genuine and which are chancers?? U will defo need some one with vast knowledge and experience in the hair industry, how will u no if stylists are draing ur resources mixing to much colour? That's are just examples of some of the many hurdles you will come across in hairdressing...there's sooo much more, it will make you money in the long term to have and experienced manager

Thanks for the replies.
Your all right, i need a may need a manager but i have a great Stylist who currently owns their own business and is very successful coming to work with us, she'll be a senior stylist and overseeing the others, combined with myself and my partner overseeing the day to day running.

The main thing is i was really just looking for your best practise in terms of how you do it, if you don't want to share, thats ok. I will make mistakes, we all do, i was just trying to minimise this.

Thanks anyway.

So will this girl be employed?

With regards to brand research which company you feel you will get the most from eg on going trainning to keep your salon fresh, product launch etc and what image u want to portray, what's your target clientele.. Older clients with grey that need strong grey coverage, younger generation maybe more bright daring colours? Yes you will always get a bit of both but decide who it is your trying to appeal to this will help with a lot of salon decisions

You've employed someone who already owns their own business?

Key thing is to up build a team, who are committed. Will this person be? And how will having her on board help you with your business?

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

You've employed someone who already owns their own business?

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

:eek:
I can see.a conflict of interest just waiting to happen there...

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Congrats on the successful beauty salon that's not easy in this current climate.

I'm not a hairdresser but I would say if you have this lady who's experienced and you want to take her employ her and get a solicitor to write up a contract with enforceable restrictive covenants so she can't steal your clients. On the plus side if she's been working 12 years she'll hopefully bring a lot of her own with her. Running a business isn't for everyone maybe she tried it, it wasn't to her liking so she's going back to focusing solely on clients which is what she loves. I know two hairdressers personally who have done that so I would ask her outright her future plans and why she no longer runs her business. Who knows this could be the start of a perfect partnership you the business mind and her thd creative/managerial mind.

Ask her what colour houses she likes working with because if she's going to be managing then it would probably help to have her knowledge in the salon, you can take her guidance on a lot of the day to day. Also do you know any other Glasgow based hairdressers that you could ask re wages. Also check all her references because you'll have to really trust her if you're in a shop a few doors down most of the day.

Also from personal experience in business if you make people feel like they have a substantial say in important decisions they are more likely to work well with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back