New job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelLynch

Reaction score
I need some advice, I started a new job at a hair and beauty salon on Tuesday,
I hate it so much, I've been made to clean all day every day, the floors have been made to mop every hour, they have had be washing hair, I've barley done any beauty/nail treatments I can count how many on one hand.
They speak to me so nasty and shout at me for no reason and critasize me at all treatments I do even though they aren't qualified in beauty!
I have to make every person a drink an if I didn't clean the cups or put the towel in the dryer and fold them up they would not have any

It's making me not want to go as I'm cleaning 10-11 hours a day!

I'm not a qualified hairdresser, I'm a beautician with 5 years experience

What shall I do? X

It does sound miserable.
I'm not sure what the owner's mindset on this is. You would earn her more money by doing treatments; is it that you're not getting bookings? If so, come up with some pro-active ways to get clients in, perhaps?
If it's any help, I was self-employed in my last job, and if I had a gap between clients I would make drinks, washup, etc.
I think 10-11 hours a day is too much though.

OMG your not working at Hairworks are you?

I used to work for them. Don't know how I managed to stay there for two and a half years! I was in the same position as you. Not allowed to sit down at all, all day unless on your break. Not allowed to talk to each other. Not allowed to eat lunch with anyone else, you are told to eat in separate areas.

They are absolutely paranoid that staff will be in cahoots with rather and take all the clients and start up on their own.

They are so stupid though that they didn't even check what I signed on my contract. I crossed most of it out and signed it.

They didn't have a leg to stand on when I decided to leave. They said I couldn't work anywhere else within 5 miles of any of their salons. They had 8. I told them to look at the contract I signed and they were completely shocked to see that I had not agreed to most of their rules.

With 5 years experience I don't think you need to fear what leaving immediately will look like on your cv.

If you're absolutely certain that you don't want to be there and that the issues can't be resolved, I wouldn't hesitate to leave asap.

Wishing you the best of luck with it and nuts to whoever it is.

Keep looking. Don't tell anyone there that you are looking. Hope you find something soon. X

Latest posts

Back