New manager position

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have just got myself a new job, I am going to be a salon manager!!!! Yay!!!

Very excited but more so than this i feel a very, very big challenge on my shoulders, I am very excited and determined to take on this challenge.

This is my first role as a manger full time. I have done a tiny bit previously but nothing to shout about, so I thought I'd come to the best place possible and ask if any of you talented, experienced geeks have any words of wisdom, tips you would like to share with me??

I am going into a small salon that needs a massive kick up the a** in all areas.

Thanks in advance :hug:

Congratulations on your new job!

Watch a few episodes of Tabatha's Salon takeover, lol.

Before you make any changes, spend time getting to know the staff and evaluate their work. Listen to their ideas and opinions first. Get an overview of the whole salon and it's current clientele. Ask clients for feedback.

Good advice from AcidPerm.
Definitely take time to get to know the staff and listen to their ideas, as much as radical changes may be needed it is always best to get a feel for the place first, and let them get to know you.
Good Luck.

Will you be managing this salon solely? How many members of staff will you have.
When I first started, I bought every book under the sun, read them all, then did it my way anyway lol. You'll find your feet, and no doubt make a few mistakes, but as AcidPerm said, take your time getting to know your team and you're less likely to rock the boat.
I also invested in a salon coach (but this was for my own salon) who helped me find my feet and learn how to run a business effectively.
Good luck and congratulations! X

Aww thanks geeks :) Im so happy i got it but really not underestimating the work i am going to have to put in. Well from my boss they tell me their attitudes have become rather poor, one of them is on a final warning and they are clicky, there youg too so im worried about going in and apearing too nice that they think they can walk over me, i'd like to have the respect but get along with them as well as all i want is a strong team that will work together and not against eachother. I would be interested in what ideas they have etc but from what im told im not sure they are very interested?….I dont judge ppl from what i hear i wait until i meet them then make my own judgments but i will have this in the back of my mind, my boss really isnt happy with their behaviour/performance so we'll see.
I will have a lot of support at the start from other managers (big company) and my boss but i will be treating this as my salon and i want to do well, i want to prove to myself i can this. :hug:

Just stay clam and if you ever feel out of your depth don't let anyone see this. Anyone who is not performing to standard, start mentoring and appraising them asap you need to create a paper trail if you are going to start disciplining anyone.

I was terrified when I took my first spa directors position but it soon passes. Just remember, if you weren't good enough to do this job the salon owner wouldn't have given it to you. You sound like you know what you're doing already.

Best of luck, you're going to be absolutely fine. :hug:

Aww thanks geeks :) Well from my boss they tell me their attitudes have become rather poor, one of them is on a final warning and they are clicky, there youg too so im worried about going in and apearing too nice that they think they can walk over me, i'd like to have the respect but get along with them as well as all i want is a strong team that will work together and not against each other.:

It could be that they have been poorly managed in the past and so lost respect for their previous boss. You need to set clear objectives and boundaries and be consistent in your approach with each of them. No favouritism! That way, they will learn to respect you and each other.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back