New nail tech, gel polish advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireyfairey13

Reaction score
Hi I'm newly qualified and have a few questions about the gel polishes I'm using. I'm a Salon Geek virgin so apologies if this has been covered already!!!

I use OPI gel color and IBD. Has anyone mixed and matched with these? Used say an OPI gel color with IBD base and top coat or vice versa? Also does anyone know whether a bonding gel / primer are required with both systems? I've used google and noted OPI have a bond aid and IBD have a bonding gel but wondering if actually necessary? I tend to use a primer anyway although may not actually be needed but it was suggested at my course by the tutor that it won't do any harm. The gel polish course I done was a generic one so it gives me the freedom to work with any gels I want but it means I need to investigate each one!

Also noted that sometimes I'm getting a small hard lump on one or two nails when applying the gel polish. I'm following my prep exactly as taught in my course and never had any issues at my course so not sure what is going on anyone any ideas? I'm reluctant to file it off as I know dust can cause lifting. I'm also applying all layers thin as taught also....

Any ideas would be appreciated and sorry for the long message!!!

I wouldn't mix and match. I would probably pick your favourite and stick to that. Each product applies and works slightly differently so you need to get used to it. I always use primer with my ibd polish it's called power bond. The bonding gel will be for hard gel extensions not gel polish. Have a look on the Graftons website they are the official distributor and ibd education forum is great on Facebook the international educator normally responds with help. At what point are these lumps appearing, could it be some residue on the neck of the bottle. I've had that before, you need to swipe it away before curing xxx

I wouldn't mix and match. I would probably pick your favourite and stick to that. Each product applies and works slightly differently so you need to get used to it. I always use primer with my ibd polish it's called power bond. The bonding gel will be for hard gel extensions not gel polish. Have a look on the Graftons website they are the official distributor and ibd education forum is great on Facebook the international educator normally responds with help. At what point are these lumps appearing, could it be some residue on the neck of the bottle. I've had that before, you need to swipe it away before curing xxx

Perfect, I will invest in the power bond. I love the OPI gel colors but used IBD in my course so wanted to get a few different kinds. I will check out graftons and the IBD fb page. Thanks so much for the tips!!! I'm positive the lump is appearing after curing but perhaps once I apply each coat I should look at the nail closely to establish if there are are lumps and get rid using an orange stick? Thanks for your help!!!!

Latest posts

Back