New nail tech help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollylt87

Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve recently done a 2 day gel nail course. I only did one full set while being observed and now have to do case studies. I did my first this morning, but it took me four hours!!!!
I’m so annoyed at myself and feel really rubbish, I know it’s only my second set but I don’t understand why it takes me so long :( I know i probably just need to practise but I had really hoped I would be better!

Please tell me that other people also took a little longer than the norm when doing they’re first few sets?? Any tips??

Hi Holly!

Split it down into segments.
10 mins on prep. Push back cuticles, nail plate etching. Spend no more than 1 minute on each nail. Don't be too fussy! Just ensure the nail plate is clean of non living tissue - the cuticles are back and there are no hangnails on the sidewalls. Then swipe over each nail with your chosen systems cleanser.

Apply basecoat. Cure.

Colour. Cure.
Colour Cure.
Top coat. Cure.

Keep it simple, don't overthink it.

With practice your speed will improve. x

This was only your second set, please do not beat yourself up about it! Four hours isn't unusual this early on in your training.
I think a lot of people think they can go on a course and become proficient straight away, but I promise you that is not the case. This is just the beginning. The more you practice the more it all makes sense and the better, and eventually quicker you'll get, but it won't happen over night.

It's a real shame that you didn't get to do more sets on your course as one set isn't enough. Do you have to go back and do a removal and infill? Is your tutor available to answer questions now the course is finished?

Have you got plenty of family and friends to practice on? People who won't put you under s pressure and understand that you are training? Real nails are great to practice on, but practice hands can be really useful too if you run out of guinea pigs!

Keep at it and don't get disheartened!

** I was assuming you have done a gel extension course?

Thanks Beautiful You :)

Yes it was a gel extension course. I was shown how to do removal and infills but I don’t have to go back. Just have to do case studies and an exam.

I’m also 37 and a half weeks pregnant I know I’m probably crazy doing a nail course during pregnancy So baby brain probably also doesn’t help!

I think I do just need to practise but I think I’ve been putting it off because of how long it’s currently taking me to do them! It’s really tiring. Getting a practice hand sounds like a good idea through!! At least I can build up confidence then but would have the option of putting it down when my brain stops working! Lol

I think I was just having a wobble and wanted some re-assurance that I wasn’t the only one to take so long at first.

The two sets I’ve done have both had really short nails and I’ve struggled a bit trying to get the forms to stay on and it the right position, and it’s difficult at first without having someone point out where your going wrong and how to improve but hopefully I’ll get better with lots of practice :)

I know this might sound like a strange piece of advice but it helped me - watch you tube video after you tube video after you tube video of respected nail techs doing the exact same procedure that you want to follow. For me it felt kind of like it trained my brain, if you get me, so that my practice started to follow with it.
Also, make sure your work area is well organised so that everything you need is at hand so that you don’t forget something that isn’t there or spend time rummaging around looking for it.
And STOP beating yourself up! You wouldn’t do it to someone else so don’t do it to yourself! x

Thanks Beautiful You :)

Yes it was a gel extension course. I was shown how to do removal and infills but I don’t have to go back. Just have to do case studies and an exam.

I’m also 37 and a half weeks pregnant I know I’m probably crazy doing a nail course during pregnancy So baby brain probably also doesn’t help!

I think I do just need to practise but I think I’ve been putting it off because of how long it’s currently taking me to do them! It’s really tiring. Getting a practice hand sounds like a good idea through!! At least I can build up confidence then but would have the option of putting it down when my brain stops working! Lol

I think I was just having a wobble and wanted some re-assurance that I wasn’t the only one to take so long at first.

The two sets I’ve done have both had really short nails and I’ve struggled a bit trying to get the forms to stay on and it the right position, and it’s difficult at first without having someone point out where your going wrong and how to improve but hopefully I’ll get better with lots of practice :)

Well I think that's pretty impressive that you're trying to learn a whole new skill set whilst your 37.5 weeks pregnant!! I stopped doing nails completely when I was pregnant as I could barely look after myself lol! So you definitely shouldn't be putting yourself down like this!

A practice hand might be ideal for you in the weeks/months to come with a new baby as you can do as much or as little as you can fit in in around your baby.

Really short nails are always harder to do. Your right, it's definitely easier if you have a tutor on hand to guide you and normally I would suggest maybe investing in some 1-2-1 follow-up training with your educator if they offer it, but that might not be practical for you right now with a baby on the way and I'm sure you'll have more than enough to cope with when the baby is born, but it's definitely worth considering when you're more settled into a routine.

What brand are you using? Maybe they have good support groups on Facebook that you could follow and could pick up tips and watch application tutorials. (2 of the brands I use have excellent Facebook groups - INK London and The Gel Bottle)

Good luck with everything x

It always takes me longer to sculpt ultra short nails, they can be much more problematic. It sounds like you pitched right in at the deep end so I wouldn't concern yourself about how long it took.[emoji5]

Thank you all for your help and positive comments! :)

I’ve ordered a practice hand now and will get watching the you tube videos!! Hopefully that will help ☺️☺️

Xx

I always think that the skills and knowledge required to become a professional Nail Tech, are pretty similar to learning to drive a car. You have to develop new hand / eye coordination skills and that takes time and a lot of practice. And to keep yourself and others safe, you need to learn the theory. Even if the school doesn't focus on the theory, buy Doug Schools books on Amazon and also the amazing Marian Newman's book "The Complete Nail Technician" - this was my first nail book and although it has been updated since, every NT should have a copy on their shelf and read it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-N...marian+newman&qid=1556975338&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Doug Schoon's Face to Face books

Vol 1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Face-Face-...hoon&qid=1556975359&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Vol 2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Face-Face-...hoon&qid=1556975367&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

Vol 3
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Face-Face-...hoon&qid=1556975367&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

When you have read those, this is also a great book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Structure-...ouglas+schoon&qid=1556975457&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I also found this site really useful when I started:
https://www.hooked-on-nails.com

Latest posts

Back