New salon - advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnsense

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Me and my partner are currently looking for a property to open a salon; he’s got a fantastic reputation a large client base (he’s a trainer, assessor, won a number of awards and has worked within the national artistic team for a number of years).

He can make money but has no business sense at all which is where I come inJ

I have a couple of questions that I need to ask other hair salon business owners the help with predicting costs and how to effectively market our business:

1. We will be a six station salon with two basins; approximately how much with our water, gas, utility and phone bills cost per month?
2. Other than the following bills, what other costs would I need to consider: salary, stock, insurance, marketing budget (how much do you recommend).
3. What level and how much would liability insurance cost?
4. Do we require a licence from the council to cut hair?
5. What would be the best way to market our business other than word of mouth / the hair broadcasting our brand. I.e. local advertising, sponsoring, leaflet drops, recommend a friend etc. What promos have worked for you?
6. Promotional material, what works, what do the customers want / like. i.e pricelist pens, fabric bags etc.
7. What discounts should I offer to new customers in the first 6 weeks of opening. i.e. 50% off hair bill.
8. Opening party / events, what works, what’s worked for you?

Sorry for all the questions, this is a new market to myself and my partner has worked for a large hair salon brand so hasn’t really had to do any of the above. We’re both super excited and can’t wait to find a property to start the ball rollingJ

Kind Regards,

Vinnsense

Hi I recently opened a salon here's roughly what I pay

Phone bill with internet is about 70 per month
Water about 150 to 230 per month
Business rates 500per month
Rent
Bins to be empty 16pm
I have no gas
Water 140pm
Card machine about 200pm
Stock 300 to 600 ish pw
Advertising 250pm
Insurance was 350 per year plus 55 per staff member per year

There's only 3 of us at my salon & it's beauty not hair but the hairdressers next door are about same bills wise not sure on their product cost.

I did opening day leaflet drop 10000 per month for 4 months (the first time I sent brochures but this was expensive but with a good come back. The rest I did just flyers with not such a good result.

Facebook is great for business got lots of new clients there

I also did the newspaper but it was bit rubbish. Local small mags were good ones that go to school ect.

Also indulgence evenings was great to advertise & have some good clients from the more upmarket schools.

Hi I recently opened a salon here's roughly what I pay

Phone bill with internet is about 70 per month
Water about 150 to 230 per month
Business rates 500per month
Rent
Bins to be empty 16pm
I have no gas
Water 140pm
Card machine about 200pm
Stock 300 to 600 ish pw
Advertising 250pm
Insurance was 350 per year plus 55 per staff member per year

There's only 3 of us at my salon & it's beauty not hair but the hairdressers next door are about same bills wise not sure on their product cost.

I did opening day leaflet drop 10000 per month for 4 months (the first time I sent brochures but this was expensive but with a good come back. The rest I did just flyers with not such a good result.

Facebook is great for business got lots of new clients there

I also did the newspaper but it was bit rubbish. Local small mags were good ones that go to school ect.

Also indulgence evenings was great to advertise & have some good clients from the more upmarket schools.

Hi Lapetite,

Thanks for the info, will look into the above suggestions. Tell me more about the indulgent evenings, sounds like a fab idea.

Also with regards to brochures, what were they like. I was thinking about doing a quarterly news letter / release with useful bits of info on hair related subjects, things going on in the salon and deals that we have. That way I'm not sending the same info out all the time:)

With regards to Facebook, do you just add loads of ppl and hope for the best or is there a strategy to if:)

Again thanks for your advice xx

Latest posts

Back