New shop or no new shop?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snmlondonhair

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm in a total dilemma!! I have a small hair salon which I opened just over 18months ago -it's grew much faster than expected and we have outgrown it already..
I looked at a new space yesterday and fell in LOVE, it's 3X the size so plenty of room to grow.
Problem is it's about 15min drive from our current salon -has anyone had experience with moving before? Did most clients follow?
The rent is also double what I pay now and if clients don't follow it worries me... THIS could be the part where it all goes wrong!

Any advice???

Have you put out feelers with your existing clientele? Is it nearer for some? Is it 15 mins in traffic (mileage may be better than time). Bear in mind that most people have to travel anyway. I've moved my business 3 times. We're in the country so pretty much everyone has to travel anyway but most clients have followed me.

I gave everybody a 20% off voucher for their first treatment at my new salon to encourage them to move with me. Then I got them to fill in forms for my new booking system. To thank them, I gave them a voucher for £10 off their next treatment. By then you're nearly a habit.

I would also add that I've known several friends and clients to travel halfway across the country for their hairdresser [emoji3]

Good luck with your choices.

Vic x

Ah thanks so much for that, it's made me feel a little better :) were also out in the country at the moment, with no bus root/train nearby so clients do have to travel anyway.
It's 6.5miles from our current location.

That's a great idea with vouchers, maybe some sort of opening party too so clients can see exactly where it is. It's just such a worry!! X

I agree with putting out the feelers with clients but if your heart is setting on it, you need to sell it with your clients. When I moved shops I talked to staff about the fact there was better parking, on major bus route, bigger premises so would allow me to cater for larger bridal parties etc. and tweaked this for each client based on what I knew about them

Hey guys!

I'm in a total dilemma!! I have a small hair salon which I opened just over 18months ago -it's grew much faster than expected and we have outgrown it already..
I looked at a new space yesterday and fell in LOVE, it's 3X the size so plenty of room to grow.
Problem is it's about 15min drive from our current salon -has anyone had experience with moving before? Did most clients follow?
The rent is also double what I pay now and if clients don't follow it worries me... THIS could be the part where it all goes wrong!

Any advice???

Get out your consult forms, check their addresses, put it all in a spread sheet and see how many are coming how far to see you.

I panicked about moving for no reason because ONLY ONE of my clients lives up the road!! The rest all drive 15-45 mins to see me or walk for 20 mins. You will be surprised I'm sure! xxx

Latest posts

Back