New Tech, is this alright?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venusnails

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new technician and I have a question. My educator was not
Very egar to inform me on techniques or how to do anything
Other than pink and white gel nails. I'm happy she taught me so well
But many of my clients don't want pink and whites.
I started expiriementing with nail polish because I have a lot of it!
I first tried on myself, and with no problems put it on a few clients and had them return without a problem! I'm using a complete gel system!!! I know when doing acrylics this technique is normal. My steps are:
Prep the nail, add a form or file off old set.
Apply bonding and sculpt a new nail basically skipping white.
I cure and then remove dispersion and file into the disired shape.
Then I apply 1-2 coats of regular nail polish (seche, color club, essie, opi, etc) and let it mostly dry. Usually the customer wants art aswell so I let nails dry while I do art etc. Then I simply apply a top coat and cure it.
When I expirimented on my own nails I didn't wait as long for the polish to dry and I noticed even after curing I could still slightly dent the polish if I press extremely hard using a sharpish object.

Anyway my question is!!! Has anyone used this technique or does anyone have any feedback as to if this is okay? I asked my educator and her response was "you're only supposed to be doing pink and whites." Yet I've taken the course and am certified... Please help :( :?:

Hi, it's best not to gel over normal polish as it takes a very long time to dry completely,I think it's something like 24 hrs to completely 100% dry. I would do the sculpt like you have been taught whether it be pink and white or natural it makes no difference. Finish the nail completely with finishing layer and cure then polish and nail art over top with a good quality top coat ( polish not a gel topcoat!). Normal nail polish will last longer on extensions than natural nail as it's not as flexible so doesn't cause chips etc. quite so quickly ! Plus this way you can take the colour and art off with nonacetone remover and not have to remove the extension so client can change colour as often as they like without redoing whole set and just infill am rebalance when needed.

Latest posts

Back