New to salon, what percentage split should it be?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn/NuU

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this site and was hoping that someone out there could offer me some advice. I trained 11 years ago and have spent most of that time working in a spa, but am now about to work in a salon on a percentage cut of treatments. I have no idea what the cut should be! What would it be if they provide the products and what if i use my own products?

This is a new venture for the salon and for me so is no current client base etc

Thanks,
Dawn

Im just opening a salon and am having the same dilemma? I'm told it should be around 50/50 and charge for the products or dont charge for products individually but take a higher 60/40 cut, 10% being for the products. I feel as though I should take less initially as I dont have clients yet, but I still have bills to pay and I need to make money too? Its a minefield.:eek:

When I started working self employed 2 years ago, it was in a hair salon with no beauty clients as they just started offering beauty with me, there wasn't even a sign to say we are doing beauty. I didn't have a room for myself, I was buying products, they provided furniture and equipments. I was paying 40% to the owner which wasn't really fair when you don't have a room but it was my first experience. I think when you buy your products and equipments giving them 30% is enough.
It's good to start with commission to build up your client base but once your business grew, you need to change it to a fixed rent coz you'll never make good money, the more you work the more commission you should pay and it's really frustrating...

Thank you for your advise. I am sure that it will come in very handy. To be honest it all seems very unorganised!! They have no products, room is not to the same standard as the rest of the salon, are we offering to just men etc and have given away treatments to clients at my cost, which i don't mind but will have to keep on eye on on this as they offer a loyalty system!!! Its very early days though:rolleyes:

Hiya i've just opened a boutique and is looking for someone to work on a percentage basis i provide everything (products, furniture etc) and i intend to split the percentage at 50/50 cos i think thats fair

Hiya i've just opened a boutique and is looking for someone to work on a percentage basis i provide everything (products, furniture etc) and i intend to split the percentage at 50/50 cos i think thats fair

Have you also looked at whether this will be profitable though?

It seems a lot of 'salon owners' pick a figure out of thin air and they all seem to arrive at 50/50 or 60/40 if you bring your own products. Did they all go to the same school of maths?

Every business will be entirely different depending on the fixed overheads, product offerings and volume of trade. Can someone explain to me how they arrive at this 50/50 figure?

Latest posts

Back