New to the nail tech world-help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SophieMaria

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all ok. I am just writing to you all regarding my situation and would love for your advice please :)
I am just about to finish my NVQ 3 Nail Tech course. So I am very new to the business, I have only been doing practice clients for a year.
I know just as much as any one that a nail technician on paper is totally different to a nail technician with a lot of experience.
Experience at the moment is what I lack. I have started doing gel polish mani's and pedi's and gel extensions. I am going to be offering acrylics once i've had enough practice and got them to a brilliant standard. The problem I am having is that I am working from home and I work at Boots 16hrs a week (which I have done for 9 years) and I have been offered a place in a salon.
I am scared that I wont have the foot fall of clients and I wont make enough money to live if I leave Boots. But then I also know if I don't take the plunge I wont get the experience I need to be as good as I need to be.
What would your advice be to someone so new to the business? Keeping in mind the person who is offering me the place at the salon is only asking for a % of what I make, not a chair fee.
I am also going to be the only nail technician operating in this salon. :S
Thank you, Sophie :)

Hi Sophie, I was working at boots 40 hours a week and was doing an intensive beauty course one day a week. I then started to work in a darling for two set days a week and boots lowered my hours so I could work two set days with them and my one day in college. When college finished I left boots and worked full time in the salon, by then I felt confident enough and wasn't a complete beginner.
You definitely need experience working in a salon but it's up to you wether you can keep both jobs or jump right in.

16hrs a week isn't a massive amount of hours, that you couldn't combine the 2 things together? I personally, to start with,would only do maybe 2 days in the salon if possible, if you could make this a fri & sat that would be even better as most ladies want their nails done nearer the wkend & if nails is all you are offering I think you may find those days beneficial! Be prepared for the long game in building up your clientele in the salon. Maybe offering a free file & polish whilst some of the ladies are having their colour done for example, little things like this will be remembered & also get your name out there! Good luck! X

Thank you for replying. I only work 16 hours at the moment due to being diagnosed with a nasty illness in May 2014. I find boots is extremely stressful. And unfortunately this contributes to my illness. Working in the nail industry I find is not even a little bit near the stress level that I get at boots. So in the long run I would want to be doing nails full time. And not only working 16 hrs a week. I think dropping my hours at Boots and then trying 2 days a week at the salon may be the best option for the time being.
Thank you again :cool:

Good luck x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back