Newbie after advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelliebaby86

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm planning on training with Bio Sculpture later this year and working from home.
I'm a complete newbie.
I'd appreciate any advice on the training, how much practice inbetween training and assessment, anything business related I may not have though of etc etc.
Many thanks
Michelle

Hi Michelle. Welcome! There's loads of posts from newbies asking advice so my first tip is browse through the forum. There's some pretty recent posts on getting started.
On your question around practice I'd say all the practice is never enough - get your cases (if your training involves real case studies) done ahead of time, practice as much on yourself, family and friends as you possibly can.
As for business there's a business area in the forum that, if you are going solo id recommend you browse too.
In general, focus on safety as much as you focus on craft. And on structure before you focus on art and be patient.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi Michelle. Welcome! There's loads of posts from newbies asking advice so my first tip is browse through the forum. There's some pretty recent posts on getting started.
On your question around practice I'd say all the practice is never enough - get your cases (if your training involves real case studies) done ahead of time, practice as much on yourself, family and friends as you possibly can.
As for business there's a business area in the forum that, if you are going solo id recommend you browse too.
In general, focus on safety as much as you focus on craft. And on structure before you focus on art and be patient.
Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your reply, it's nice to know there's someone who cares enough to reply (probably for the 100th time to the same type of post) I'm trying to do lots of research as I'm completely new to nails! Thanks again

Thank you so much for your reply, it's nice to know there's someone who cares enough to reply (probably for the 100th time to the same type of post) I'm trying to do lots of research as I'm completely new to nails! Thanks again
A lot of people here care. Loads of precious advice gets shared on the daily. Very experienced techs do it out of the goodness of their heart and on their time so don't take to heart if you don't get an answer immediately, or if the answer is not what you expected. And it's natural to ask the same questions you might cause the odd silent eye roll [emoji23] but people won't be upset and you will get answers. If you don't it is likely because your answer is already here so always do a quick search as well.
This group helped me pick my training 3 years ago, got me excited for nails and still answer my questions so keep at it [emoji4]

A lot of people here care. Loads of precious advice gets shared on the daily. Very experienced techs do it out of the goodness of their heart and on their time so don't take to heart if you don't get an answer immediately, or if the answer is not what you expected. And it's natural to ask the same questions you might cause the odd silent eye roll [emoji23] but people won't be upset and you will get answers. If you don't it is likely because your answer is already here so always do a quick search as well.
This group helped me pick my training 3 years ago, got me excited for nails and still answer my questions so keep at it [emoji4]
Bless you, thank you, I really appreciate it! I'm going to have a good mooch about the threads and see what information I can find! Thanks for being my first 'chat' on here

Bless you, thank you, I really appreciate it! I'm going to have a good mooch about the threads and see what information I can find! Thanks for being my first 'chat' on here
[emoji123][emoji16]

It sounds like you're already on the right track, you've chosen a well-known, reputable brand to train with and you're thinking and planning ahead. That's a great start! As @Fisou says, never feel worried about asking a question if you can't find the answer you're looking for through the search engine. There are so many experienced and helpful nail techs who are happy to help those enthusiastic to learn and do things properly, which you obviously are.

My advice would be to look through the posts on Salon Geek daily if possible as I'm sure you'll find out things you hadn't even thought about! Another recommendation would be to join the Nail Professionals Technical Facebook group if you have Facebook and another useful one is the Nail Technician's Allergy Support Group. That may sound an odd suggestion as presumably you don't have any nail product allergies?! (Fortunately I don't either!) but I believe it's better to know about safe working and what causes allergies to develop before it's too late.
Also, if you can get a copy of any of Doug Schoon's books you will find them very informative. X

I understand that Bio Sculpture now offer an online training system which costs less than their traditional class based tuition? Having done their training myself I would say that if you are completely starting from scratch you might want to consider investing in a level 2 Nail Technician qualification first. You will get a lot more information about nail structure and both gel and acrylic application that will enable you to offer (and gain insurance for) much more than just one system. Then if you go for Bio Sculpture you don't need to do the whole course with them, you can skip the foundation.

It sounds like you're already on the right track, you've chosen a well-known, reputable brand to train with and you're thinking and planning ahead. That's a great start! As @Fisou says, never feel worried about asking a question if you can't find the answer you're looking for through the search engine. There are so many experienced and helpful nail techs who are happy to help those enthusiastic to learn and do things properly, which you obviously are.

My advice would be to look through the posts on Salon Geek daily if possible as I'm sure you'll find out things you hadn't even thought about! Another recommendation would be to join the Nail Professionals Technical Facebook group if you have Facebook and another useful one is the Nail Technician's Allergy Support Group. That may sound an odd suggestion as presumably you don't have any nail product allergies?! (Fortunately I don't either!) but I believe it's better to know about safe working and what causes allergies to develop before it's too late.
Also, if you can get a copy of any of Doug Schoon's books you will find them very informative. X

Thank you so much for your reply, I have met with a local lady who used to do my nails with Bio, she's been extremely helpful and answered so many questions for me. I'm so excited to get started x

I understand that Bio Sculpture now offer an online training system which costs less than their traditional class based tuition? Having done their training myself I would say that if you are completely starting from scratch you might want to consider investing in a level 2 Nail Technician qualification first. You will get a lot more information about nail structure and both gel and acrylic application that will enable you to offer (and gain insurance for) much more than just one system. Then if you go for Bio Sculpture you don't need to do the whole course with them, you can skip the foundation.

Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely look in to that! Thank you

Hi there,
I'm planning on training with Bio Sculpture later this year and working from home.
I'm a complete newbie.
I'd appreciate any advice on the training, how much practice inbetween training and assessment, anything business related I may not have though of etc etc.
Many thanks
Michelle
Hi there Michelle I’ve booked to train with bio sculpture in September I’m excited and nervous also wanting to start my own business over time I’m also looking for any advice I can get
Many thanks louisa

Hi Louisa,

As well as the advice above, I would really recommend a copy of the complete nail technician by Marian Newman, it's a bible of all things nails. I would also recommend Doug Schoon's books. He's a very well respected chemist, so will help you to understand your products, which is critical.

Practice as often and much as you can (not before your training though, or you may pick up some bad habits), and buy a training hand if you have to.

Always charge something when you're practising.

Definitely visit the business section of the forum for help with the business side of things.

It's a very exciting industry to be a part of, and I'm sure you'll do well.

Hi Louisa,

As well as the advice above, I would really recommend a copy of the complete nail technician by Marian Newman, it's a bible of all things nails. I would also recommend Doug Schoon's books. He's a very well respected chemist, so will help you to understand your products, which is critical.

Practice as often and much as you can (not before your training though, or you may pick up some bad habits), and buy a training hand if you have to.

Always charge something when you're practising.

Definitely visit the business section of the forum for help with the business side of things.

It's a very exciting industry to be a part of, and I'm sure you'll do well.
Hi Linzi
Thankyou so much for the advice I really appreciate as I want to run before I can walk and I couldn’t book training until the beginning of September but it will soon come round I believe bio Sculpture to be a great product but I’ve now been looking at the gel bottle thinking have I made the right decision? I will definitely purchase the books thankyou so much again
Kind regards
Lou

Hi Lou, Bio Sculpture is a very reputable brand and very safe for you and your future clients. TGB is manufactured in China where there are no regulations on what ingredients are used in their products.

If your concern is cost (Bio Sculpture training and products are rather expensive) then I would recommend you to take a look at Ikon.iQ Nails products, they are manufactured in the EU and are extremely safe.

Hi Lou, Bio Sculpture is a very reputable brand and very safe for you and your future clients. TGB is manufactured in China where there are no regulations on what ingredients are used in their products.

If your concern is cost (Bio Sculpture training and products are rather expensive) then I would recommend you to take a look at Ikon.iQ Nails products, they are manufactured in the EU and are extremely safe.
Hi Alison
Thankyou so much for your message just to give you some background I done all my beauty training 11years ago and ended up staying in my caring job after my sons dad passing away it paid the bills I’m always asked to do gel nails and pedicures even now and my son is older I’m married and in a better position to start my own business I’ve booked on all the bio sculpture training and evo paid my deposits as I think it’s a great top end product like you say and the lady that does my nails uses it on me but last week I discovered that she has been using the gel bottle on me and I said is this a bio Sculpture brand and she said no so I looked it all up and had doubts that I could do there training for less money and you don’t need your manicure although I’ve got mine, but I’ve realised bio sculpture is much better isn’t it? Sorry for the long message and thankyou again Lou x

Hi there Michelle I’ve booked to train with bio sculpture in September I’m excited and nervous also wanting to start my own business over time I’m also looking for any advice I can get
Many thanks louisa
Hi Michelle have you booked your training mine starts September? X

I did alot of research in to TGB recently and ended up deciding Bio Sculpture is a safer more established brand.

I did alot of research in to TGB recently and ended up deciding Bio Sculpture is a safer more established brand.
Thankyou so much for the advice I’ve also been doing my research and I agree with you x

Hi Michelle have you booked your training mine starts September? X
Hi, mine starts in September too, feeling really nervous!! How are you feeling about it? x

Hi, mine starts in September too, feeling really nervous!! How are you feeling about it? x
Hi me too I’m starting to get nervous we could be on the same course I start 3rd of September in Norwich how about you? X

Latest posts

Back