Newbie hairdresser-need help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura2016

Reaction score
I have a new client who is a natural 2 and wants to be a 6 (dark ash blonde). I am thinking to use either Wella special blonde 12.81 with 40 vol or Illumina 7/81 40 vol or bleach with 10 vol then tone - which (if any) option is best?

Last edited:
I'd use bleach and then tone it. I don't think using high lift will get her as light as she wants it x

I agree with the previous post x

I have a new client who is a natural 2 and wants to be a 6 (dark ash blonde). I am thinking to use either Wella special blonde 12.81 with 40 vol or Illumina 7/81 40 vol or bleach with 10 vol then tone - which (if any) option is best?

Definitely don't use the highlift tint. Although tint plus 40vol would normally lift 3-4 levels, it will not have the correct tone to neutralise a level 6 so it would end up looking orange. Also, tints are manufactured to have the correct mix of tone for the level you expect to achieve. The only time this 'rule' changes is after using a colour reducer when you need to choose a tint that's 1-2 levels lighter than your intended target colour.

I'm not a Wella expert but I find that with Illumina, you'd be looking at 3 levels of lift with 40vol.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question!

Latest posts

Back