Newbie lash extension tech-help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jools999

Reaction score
Hi, I just trained in lash extensions but am finding it so difficult I feel like crying! My friend came round for me to practice on yesterday and she has extremely fine, short, blonde lashes. I found it nearly impossible to get any on! The shortest lash in my training kit is 9mm-should I buy shorter ones? During training we were told to make sure every lash is done but some were so close together I couldn't even separate them. I'm also really struggling to isolate and feel like giving up. Was it like this for anyone else? Is there an 'aha' moment where it suddenly comes together? I have a practice mannequin head too that I've been working on but find that there's a lot more to it than we were lead to believe in training. All I seem to have is a bad neck and back, glue all over my tweezers and only a few lashes to show for it! Could really do with a confidence boost. Anyone else struggle at first? X

It sounds like you set yourself a difficult task with your friend's lashes. It's a little bit like learning to drive and heading for the west end to practice, after a while you make less of a conscious effort to concentrate on the technique of what you are doing. Choose easier (straight and strong) lashes to gain your confidence. Develop your technique, tweezer position, body position etc and make sure you have a well lit and comfortable environment. Some lucky students do just click into the technique and others gradually realise that they are a finding it a bit easier each treatment. You should definitely contact your tutor for support while you are doing your case studies as this is the time you will most need advice.

Stay with it, practice little and often with your training head and find someone with easier lashes for your case study. Your success will feel all the better for the work you have put into it.

Thank you, that's really helpful. #grateful! X

I trained 2 years ago, I've done 3 sets so far, my sister and niece, all times I glues their eyes shut. It was awful I thought a trip to a&e would have to be in order. It's fair to say I wouldn't let myself loose on a customer. I just stick to individual lashes now

Jools, I had my 'aha!' moment on Tuesday. I have only done a few sets and found it really, really hard. I put about 2 lashes on this girl but was really struggling and felt like I wanted to cry, tell her I couldn't do it, then leave. And never lash again.

But I persevered and after 90 mins she had a lovely set of lashes! They looked fab! I couldn't believe that I had done them. I honestly thought I'd never get the hang of it. But you know, the girls on here are right… it just takes practice.

The next day I saw she had sent me an image via WhatsAp. Now, the only pics clients send me are when their tan goes wrong, so I was crapping myself. But when I opened it, it was a nice pic of her to put on my website!

Stick with it - you will get there x

ETA: I still have black lash glue all over my hands, which co-ordinates nicely with the tan solution all over them from where my gun leaked, but I don't care! I did! And you will, too.

As they say practice makes perfect and you are not alone! A lot of students want to throw the towel (tweezer) in when they start so don't be disheartened! Lashes can be very challenging depending on your clients natural lashes.

Start using a mannequin head as you can practice as and when you like without the pressure of having to do a full set so that your model can leave with nice lashes. It helps if you can do 30 minutes or even an hour at the time and then put the practice head in the corner. That way you will feel more confident once you take on models.

If you get a model with fair lashes, try tinting them first and you will be amazed how much better you can see the light lashes. Sometimes It can also be useful to have a magnifying lamp as the light can be beneficial and if you can work with the glass also you can see the details of all lashes and it makes the application a lot easier.

Don't give up, if you persevere it will all fall into place! Many therapists who now offer lash art and volume lashes have started like you and were ready to give up and now lashes are their world!​

Jools, I had my 'aha!' moment on Tuesday. I have only done a few sets and found it really, really hard. I put about 2 lashes on this girl but was really struggling and felt like I wanted to cry, tell her I couldn't do it, then leave. And never lash again.

But I persevered and after 90 mins she had a lovely set of lashes! They looked fab! I couldn't believe that I had done them. I honestly thought I'd never get the hang of it. But you know, the girls on here are right… it just takes practice.

The next day I saw she had sent me an image via WhatsAp. Now, the only pics clients send me are when their tan goes wrong, so I was crapping myself. But when I opened it, it was a nice pic of her to put on my website!

Stick with it - you will get there x

ETA: I still have black lash glue all over my hands, which co-ordinates nicely with the tan solution all over them from where my gun leaked, but I don't care! I did! And you will, too.

You've cracked me up! Thanks so much for this honest response: really helps newbies like me!x

As they say practice makes perfect and you are not alone! A lot of students want to throw the towel (tweezer) in when they start so don't be disheartened! Lashes can be very challenging depending on your clients natural lashes.

Start using a mannequin head as you can practice as and when you like without the pressure of having to do a full set so that your model can leave with nice lashes. It helps if you can do 30 minutes or even an hour at the time and then put the practice head in the corner. That way you will feel more confident once you take on models.

If you get a model with fair lashes, try tinting them first and you will be amazed how much better you can see the light lashes. Sometimes It can also be useful to have a magnifying lamp as the light can be beneficial and if you can work with the glass also you can see the details of all lashes and it makes the application a lot easier.

Don't give up, if you persevere it will all fall into place! Many therapists who now offer lash art and volume lashes have started like you and were ready to give up and now lashes are their world!​

Feel a bit better now. Better keep practicing! x

I definitely second everything already said above - I am new to this too so totally understand how you're feeling, I always seem to have that "OMG I can't do this!!" moment 30 mins into a full set, but perseverance does pay off! Definitely invest in a good light, after I got mine I was like "oh yeah! There they are!" not realising how I was actually working in semi-darkness beforehand! Oh and super-sharp tweezers help with isolation too I find. :)

I'm new to this too and had lots of meltdown moments doing lashes! I got some great advice on different glues and techniques on here and last week finally had my 'aha' moment! Stick with it as it feels very rewarding when you get there. Lots of luck x

Latest posts

Back