Newbie looking at beauty career...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinxy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Tinxy and for a while now I've been looking for a serious career change from a very stressful IT job to something I actually enjoy but accept will get paid less for... :) After many months of deliberating and discussing with my very patient husband I have decided that Beauty Therapy is the way I want to go... and then I started to look into it and was baffled by all the different diplomas and qualifications!!! :eek:

So I guess the place to start is... I want to get started as soon as I can - there are hitches in that I work full time but have applied for part time hours (to keep money coming in whilst I learn/start working) but one way or another I'll get around this if needed!

One place I've been looking at is carlton institute (who advertise on here lol) but I don't think their courses are ITEC, CIBTAC or BIBTAC? I know you can get an NVQ at an additional fee but will that be as desirable and are the courses in depth enough to be respected by salons?

One major issue is finding a place to do the courses at a reasonable fee (don't qualify for any help at all!) and ones that haven't already started so I can actually join them! LOL

Thanks all in advance!!!

I re-trained last year and it's the best thing I've done! I really enjoy the beauty work and making people feel better about themselves.

I studied ITEC L2 and I personally think it's better than an NVQ, however was told that they re-jigged all the beauty courses across the board for level 2 as they were too varied. ITEC was very in depth so they cut some of the sections out. So basically they should all be similar.

Speak to your local colleges, my tutor from last year told me that her new year had been deferred for two weeks because they only had 3 people signed up due to the changes in funding. So it may be that they're running the course at low capacity in your area. It's always worth a try.

Good luck xx

Hi rainbow!

Sadly I've already called all the colleges within 40 miles and none will accept a late attendee - and loads have no spaces regardless...

The course I was looking at with Carlton Inst. was the Lvl 3 massage course with the option of getting NVQ for an extra fee... Mainly because they run them often and I can get started quickly rather than wait another year lol

Have you looked on the beauty guild website? That's where I found my local training academy. I'm doing the nvq2 with massage and Indian head it wasn't cheap but it is great. I did my day 1 of facials it was1 2 1, and amazing I'm doing half a day today on facials aswell. It's fantastic!

X

Hi Jemima

I have had a look and am still struggling to find anywhere near me that has both places and would fit in with my full time job (which I have applied to go part time, but a lot of the courses round here are considered to be full time...) and not all the places here do the course I want... Idealy I guess in ITEC I'm looking at doing a lvl 3 massage diploma...

Hi Tinxy!

I can completely relate to you as I've just left a senior marketing role this year and decided to go into beauty therapy too :) I did a fast track NVQ Level 2 course and now doing a Level 3 massage route. Loving the industry so far! And most people are so nice and helpful too! Good luck in your choice!

If you are looking to do massage I wouldn't recommend a fast track course and would recommend a massage training school rather than as part of a beauty school. There are a number of independant massage training schools and many of the courses run over weekends.

I have no personal knowledge of the school so cannot recommend it but Oxford School of Massage
qualification enables you to join CNHC & GCMT which are the regulatory bodies for massage in the UK - far too many courses/colleges fall below their standards so it's a bit of a minefield.
Good luck x

Hi All,

I too am thinking of a complete career change! Currently a finance analyst but beginning to think of the future with a more stressless and flexible job.

Thinking of starting a family soon so wanting a career that would be a lot my flexible where i can work from home.

However i am also finding the numerous courses on offer really confusing. I'm not sure what is considered a good qualification or not.

I would like to start of doing nails and would love to go onto facials. In particular, love to get into Demalogica facials as i've been having them for the last 2 years and swear by them!!

Can anyone recommend a good nails course? and what qualification would you go for??

Latest posts

Back