Newbie student needing a little help.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georginadale

Reaction score
Hi all new to this so sorry for the million questions I may ask lol!

I'm due to start my NVQ level 2 in hairdressing in september, however:Scared:I have been told by my tutor I need a salon placement for 1day a week where by I need to gain experience as well as having the support from an employee to let me practice on models too!
I'm wondering how happy employers are to take on students, of course I'll be working that day unpaid but how readily will employers be to teach me basics and let me bring in some models?

I'm in the Manchester area anybody know of anything going?

I'm very passionate about hairdressing, ready to get stuck into anything and everything it's just trying to find the placement that I'm panicking about, if i don't get one I don't get on the course AHH :Scared:.

Any help would be really appreciated, thankyou.

Best thing to do is go in to your local reputable salons and ask them face to face. Take a cv with what you have done so far etc.
I've volunteered before and for a few days a week to build up confidence. :)

All you can do is ask local salons. Perhaps ask the college if they know of any salons who took students before and had a positive experience with that college previously? Perseverance pays off here, decide how far it possible for you to travel to placement and pop into or ring ahead each salon you can find. Good luck x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Look on the internet and make a list of all salons you think you would like a placement in, write them down from top choice to bottom choice, include email, address and telephone number. Then when you have it, put a contact name.

Start by emailing your CV and make sure you include your cover letter of what you are applying for. Email is really handy as sometime CVs get thrown under the reception desk.

Then wait a few days if there's no response, go into the salon and ask if they received your email. Get a contact name if you can and leave your CV again.

Finally after a week I would call and ask to speak to the contact, say you popped in and have they had the time to read through your CV.

Make notes on your list as you go along so you can keep track.

It's hard to get into the right salons, you need to look professional and persistent but not a stalker lol!

This is how I got my first job, there's wasn't an opening at the time but they called me 3 months later as someone had left and a position had became available.

Thankyou all for your replies, I'm going to start my search as of Tuesday and pop along to some salons(nervous!) thankyou again :) x

Latest posts

Back