Newby!! Need help with highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danjo69

Reaction score
Hi. I have a client via mobile tomo n the last time I did her hair she wanted rid of the red. After doing this her hair is now dark brown n three months later the red still has not shown threw. But now she wants a full head of highlights and I need advice. I'm scared of over processing too! Eventually she wants to be fully blonde but I need good advice n help on this.

Thank u x x

Welcome to Salon Geek :hug:

If you need any help finding your way around, please ask one of the Geek Guides for assistance in My Forum.

In the meantime, take the opportunity to look at the Tutorials, Articles, Social Groups, Blogs and the Forums, to familiarise yourself with the site.

The search facility on the site will help you to find the answers to many questions but if not, please post them to whichever forum is best relevant.

Hopefully some Hair Geeks will come to your rescue and post some replies to the questions you have asked in this particular thread though.

Don't forget to introduce yourself to the Geek Guides and Staff in My Forum.

hiya i would definately do a strand test first and explain that some red will still be in he hair and therefore your highlights could come out pinky orangey so i would play safe and do a strand test xx

Hi thank u. I did the strand test n it came out orange coloured!

Wat do I do?

Thanks

I had a client with this request. This is how I did it but it would strongly recommend you strand test this process first to see how the hair stands up.

First I bleach bathed the whole head, 1 scoop of powder (I use Tigi as it seems to be the gentlest), I scoop of 6% peroxide, 1 scoop of warm water: you obviously keep doubling it to make a large batch but keep to those ratios.

Lift the hair to an orange base 6. This mix can stay on for 50 mins. If it doesn't lift enough, wash off, dry and repeat application.

On the dried hair, drench in porosity balancer and dry in until bone dry.

Full head of woven with Tigi tru light and 6%

Inbetween the packets, flood with Schwartzkopf perfect 10, 7/0 and 7/12 and 3%. This is a colour that needs a minimum of 10 mins to deposit. You can leave it one longer but it means if the foils process quickly you can take the whole lot after 10 mins.

Once rinsed off, I put Steel blue and 2% straight over (Schwartzkopf, blondeme) and develop visually. Then a deep conditioning treatment to close the cuticle.

This gives a nice ash blonde result. I always give a blue shampoo, to maintain the result, as aftercare.

Hi, is her hair naturally red. And then you put brown on it, and now she wants to go blonde ? What is her basic shade

Hi thanks for your replies.

Basically she does not want it stripping.

Her natural base is a 6 the red is a tint she used that was mid lengths to end which I coloured to make the hair even.

I have already told her that her hair has a high chance of going ginger n the only way to get thro this is to strip it but she is not wanting that.

So how do I go on getting am even result? Especially when from roots to mid length has no red in?

Should I try to persuade her about the bleach bathing?

Only just starting out an I Rely do not want to cock up x x

May be you need to explain stripping to her. Even just putting bleach hi-lites through is stripping, just with a rubbish end result.

I don't call it stripping to my clients, it's colour correction. :)

You have already strand tested to a result you are not happy with. Strand test it as a colour correction, then show her the result and how her hair will feel. I would do one sample, bleach bathed and lifted blonde plus toned and one sample bleach bathed and the ash colour on.

Wow thank u. Excellent idea.

So if I do a bleach bath would I do it as a whole head? And at what colour stage should I take it off x x

Yup, the whole head. Re-read what I wrote, it has everything in there. :)

Latest posts

Back