Newby to nails please help anyone, Geeg?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarnails

Reaction score
Hi I am just starting out and would appreciate any feedback as I took some time off since training to have my bub. Here goes the list hehe:

I am a bit unsure with filing tips how much you need to file..should you still feel the smiley line of the nail tip or should you completely file it so you can't feel it at all?

I have been doing a few nail biters who chew halfway up their nail..I stuck clear tips on but wonder whether to glue velocity tips which apparently require no blending..in regards to tips in general how do you know what tip works best for different customers. Is there a standard rule as it can get confusing with the tip shapes and different fingers.

Is there any advice for doing gel on nail biters and trying to make it look natural in general. Forms are a bit scary for me at the moment so I am not entirely confident.

Should I be buffing the natural nail with a 240 grit or 180 before gel treatment?

When I have been filing the nail models I try have been complaining I am hurting the side walls of their nails with the file when I try to take them in on the sides. Should I be doing this part with a 240 grit or still a 180? Is there any technique to make it easier in those tender areas?

Once experienced how long should a gel session take as it is taking me 3 hours to do a full set at the moment. Where should I be saving on time?

I will start with these questions and go form there..I will also hopefully post a picture of some I have done so you can see what I am doing wrong as nails are coming off after couple days. Thanks again =)

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 817
I can only seem to load one photo but hte others seem thick and fat at the ends especially (wide as well)

Hi I am just starting out and would appreciate any feedback as I took some time off since training to have my bub. Here goes the list hehe:

I am a bit unsure with filing tips how much you need to file..should you still feel the smiley line of the nail tip or should you completely file it so you can't feel it at all?

I have been doing a few nail biters who chew halfway up their nail..I stuck clear tips on but wonder whether to glue velocity tips which apparently require no blending..in regards to tips in general how do you know what tip works best for different customers. Is there a standard rule as it can get confusing with the tip shapes and different fingers.

Is there any advice for doing gel on nail biters and trying to make it look natural in general. Forms are a bit scary for me at the moment so I am not entirely confident.

Should I be buffing the natural nail with a 240 grit or 180 before gel treatment?

When I have been filing the nail models I try have been complaining I am hurting the side walls of their nails with the file when I try to take them in on the sides. Should I be doing this part with a 240 grit or still a 180? Is there any technique to make it easier in those tender areas?

Once experienced how long should a gel session take as it is taking me 3 hours to do a full set at the moment. Where should I be saving on time?

I will start with these questions and go form there..I will also hopefully post a picture of some I have done so you can see what I am doing wrong as nails are coming off after couple days. Thanks again =)

Well, sugarnails, you're not asking much are you ??? :D Blimey !! I will answer some of your simpler questions and then I am going to direct you to the tutorials which will answer the rest .. cause I haven't got time to write a book this afternoon and I have already written one called 'nailclass' available from www.mundoproducts.co.uk

First I have a couple of questions of my own for you.

I have looked at your profile and it doesn't tell me much so here goes.
Have you done training with a CND Educator ambassador? You say in your profile that you use CND.
How long have you been doing nails?
How many regular clients do you see?
Do you work mobile, in a salon, or have your own salon?
Where abouts in Australia are you?

Thank you so much for responding I have also ordered your book a couple of days ago.

I did training with Tafe last year but I had to put nails aside after I finished while I was pregnant as my Gyno said not to work with the chemicals =( so I am very fresh at nails again.

At the moment I am just practising on friends and family as I do not want to charge for my services until I am doing quality work I am happy with and also nails that last longer than a couple days hehe. Once I am confident though I am going to start my own home business. I was thinking about doing a CND refresher but the nearest place would be Brisbane and I am in a smaller town a couple hours flight away.

First things first then. Congratulations on the wee one and welcome to SalonGeek.com. We are also on Facebook under that page name so you can join us there as well.

I am a bit unsure with filing tips how much you need to file..should you still feel the smiley line of the nail tip or should you completely file it so you can't feel it at all?With tips, it is more a case of what you can see as opposed to what you can feel. You are going to sink that tip beneath the product, so a bump in the smile line won't be seen, but if you can see any sign at all that the well of the tip is still present, then you must thin it out until you can not see it. A good way to test it while you are learning, is to occasionally wet the nail with a little Cool Blue and if you can still see the well area, then keep going. If it looks clear and you can't see anything while it is wet with the alcohol Blue, then you can stop filing and move on to the next tip.

I have been doing a few nail biters who chew halfway up their nail..I stuck clear tips on but wonder whether to glue velocity tips which apparently require no blending..in regards to tips in general how do you know what tip works best for different customers. Is there a standard rule as it can get confusing with the tip shapes and different fingers. You can use Velocity tips on almost any nail shape, so go with those. You DO have to blend Velocity tips, but they are so fast to blend because if put on correctly, the well of the tip has all but disappeared and they require very little further blending.

Is there any advice for doing gel on nail biters and trying to make it look natural in general. Forms are a bit scary for me at the moment so I am not entirely confident. If you use your Velocity tips and just use a clear or pretty pink overlay, the nails will look the most natural. If you go to Uber Nail Training for 20 Australian dollars, you can have access to all the great videos done by your own Ozzie mega star Carl Anderson (known here on salongeek as Nailzoo). He is a dear friend of mine and his videos are marvellous for training purposes. You can also have access to his charming self by emailing him. He is King of natural-looking nails.

Never use anything less than a 240 grit buffer on the natural nail. Nails do not have to be rough for enhancements to stick, with CND products; they only have to be free of CUTICAL and contamination ... In other words, clean and dry.

When I have been filing the nail models I try have been complaining I am hurting the side walls of their nails with the file when I try to take them in on the sides. Should I be doing this part with a 240 grit or still a 180? Is there any technique to make it easier in those tender areas? Use a thin wooden file like the CND Kanga and use the 240 side always of what ever file you use. Also remember to lightly use your thumb or index finger to pull the flesh slightly away from the plate as you work, so you have more room for your file and it won't abrade the skin.

Most new nail technicians waste time using too many different files an buffers when one will do the job (every time you put down one implement to pick up another you are wasting time ... The other big time waster is constantly checking your work and dusting away powder to have a look ... As you progress, you will know where you are going and not do that. The third biggest time waster is your mouth! Lol. Speak to your client, but don't look at her when you are speaking; if you are looking at her, you are not working. An hour and a half is the accepted industry standard time for a full set of most anything.

I will start with these questions and go form there..I will also hopefully post a picture of some I have done so you can see what I am doing wrong as nails are coming off after couple days.
PREP has to be perfect and then you need to work that first layer of gel into the surface.

WOW that was a long one. Lastly, thank you so much for ordering a copy of 'nailclass'. I hope it will be a big help to you. X

HTH

Last edited:
Thank you so so so so much! I really appreciate your time with this one and wonderful advice which has really cleared alot up. Thanks again! =)

Thank you so so so so much! I really appreciate your time with this one and wonderful advice which has really cleared alot up. Thanks again! =)

You're lucky you caught me on a good day and I had some time! Lol. My pleasure and glad it helped. :hug:

Latest posts

Back