Newly qualified looking for gel polish advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In light of recent reports emerging of certain products being alleged to have caused onycholysis, I would recommend that you thoroughly research any system you use.

I would also recommend having a through read of the nail tech awareness group on Facebook.

Where is the reports on the gel bottle. Would be a good read

Where are the links to the recent reports about the gel bottle. Would be good to know as around 10 salons in my area have started using it in the past year

Have a look on the Nail Professionals Technical Community Facebook group or The Nail Technicians Allergy Support Group on Facebook. There have been a number of reports of nail techs and clients experiencing onycholysis. Although brand names have been mentioned on some posts, the groups policies state not to do so I believe, so it's all a bit cloak and dagger! Although I do understand their reasons for this, I think we should be made aware of potential issues, especially as serious as this.

I'd really like to see proof. The group that keeps being promoted everywhere is run by someone who is closely tied to rival brands plus has thier own brand of gel polish.
I've been reading with interest.

I'd really like to see proof. The group that keeps being promoted everywhere is run by someone who is closely tied to rival brands plus has thier own brand of gel polish.
I've been reading with interest.

Likewise

I dont personally use tbg. But its caught on like wildfire. And has ate enormously into the big established brands

Would be good to see some proof of tgb being so bad and if it has actually been pulled from other countries or if there is an investigation into its safe use. Otherwise its just heresy and not really worth even reading about

Likewise

I dont personally use tbg. But its caught on like wildfire. And has ate enormously into the big established brands

Would be good to see some proof of tgb being so bad and if it has actually been pulled from other countries or if there is an investigation into its safe use. Otherwise its just heresy and not really worth even reading about

Well the problem is there are many poor quality Chinese "brands" being sold out there and no investigations taking place for these, so we could be waiting a long time for such an investigation. I think it's being hushed up to a degree as nobody wants to get sued! But there are definitely posts with photos out there on various forums showing nail separation and at least 2 brands have been mentioned.

It is down to us as professionals to research what we use and make our own decisions as to what we feel is safe to use for us and our clients. I had reservations about TGB in the beginning, then when they bought a lamp out and seemed to really be trying to be professional I decided to give it a try and I won't lie, their BIAB has been fantastic. None of my clients or myself have had any problems as yet, but there's just too many issues with how the company operates that don't sit comfortably with me and these latest reports definitely worry me.

For me personally I definitely think it is worth reading when reports like this surface, otherwise we could be just burying our heads in the sand.

Well the problem is there are many poor quality Chinese "brands" being sold out there and no investigations taking place for these, so we could be waiting a long time for such an investigation. I think it's being hushed up to a degree as nobody wants to get sued! But there are definitely posts with photos out there on various forums showing nail separation and at least 2 brands have been mentioned.

It is down to us as professionals to research what we use and make our own decisions as to what we feel is safe to use for us and our clients. I had reservations about TGB in the beginning, then when they bought a lamp out and seemed to really be trying to be professional I decided to give it a try and I won't lie, their BIAB has been fantastic. None of my clients or myself have had any problems as yet, but there's just too many issues with how the company operates that don't sit comfortably with me and these latest reports definitely worry me.

For me personally I definitely think it is worth reading when reports like this surface, otherwise we could be just burying our heads in the sand.

Been having a wee look into all the photos this morning.

And wow...its not good. Another knock for the industry as well as it's so poorly regulated

Been having a wee look into all the photos this morning.

And wow...its not good. Another knock for the industry as well as it's so poorly regulated

I know, it's really worrying isn't it?

I genuinely don’t think it’s anything to do with the products. More excessive use, not taking care of nails (drumming on keyboards etc), getting nails wet excessively is a known cause for it anyway, and then not having them removed or removing themselves can actually cause lifting, especially on toenails. Then there is underlying conditions.

I’ve only ever seen it once and I use gellux or sometimes nail fx (the phased out edge gels). Out of like 7 years and hundreds of ladies, these two definitely don’t cause it. Of course can’t speak for other gels but I imagine mixing gel brands/using ebay and cheap products from china is probably the only reason this is happening.

But then, in the industry, gels still are considered a new thing. They haven’t been around as long as nail polish so now I suppose undesired effects are only now being reported.

Last edited:
I genuinely don’t think it’s anything to do with the products. More excessive use, not taking care of nails (drumming on keyboards etc), getting nails wet excessively is a known cause for it anyway, and then not having them removed or removing themselves can actually cause lifting, especially on toenails. Then there is underlying conditions.

I’ve only ever seen it once and I use gellux or sometimes nail fx (the phased out edge gels). Out of like 7 years and hundreds of ladies, these two definitely don’t cause it. Of course can’t speak for other girls but I imagine mixing gel brands/using ebay and cheap products from china is probably the only reason this is happening.

But then, in the industry, gels still are considered a new thing. They haven’t been around as long as nail polish so now I suppose undesired effects are only now being reported.

I thought this was usually the case too but it seems some experienced educators have also had issues, so this gets you thinking it must be to do with the products as well, surely?

I think the big "super-brands" have always taught safe, careful usage, and of course their products usually contain far less/lower levels of allergens, but now we have new "brands" popping up all the time, bought cheaply in china and privately labelled, containing who only knows what! And it's also too easy for someone to set up a "training academy" and churn out 1 day courses to people with no previous training whatsoever and they're even being told that the only reason the big brands tell you their product will only cure with their lamp is so they can make lots of money selling the lamp!!
Too many people think it's an easy career option and they can learn it all in a day, set up cheaply buying loads of gel polish on eBay for a couple of quid and a cheap lamp and they're ready to go!! Then they realise that it's not actually that easy to produce decent looking nails that last, so they buy one of the brands that everyone is raving about because it lasts (and because they're allowed to buy it with their 1 day certificate, or sometimes don't even have to show anything!) and then they swamp the forums asking for advice when they're having problems that anyone who has trained properly either shouldn't have, or should know how to solve (or would ask their educator if they offered support after the course!)

Sorry for the rant, but it's true! I came back into the industry after a long break and completely retrained. So much had changed! There was no gel polish when I first trained, but just because I went back to college for a year and started from scratch still doesn't mean I knew everything, far from it, and still far from it, but I make sure I read up on everything, do my research and keep going on courses so I can learn as much as possible because I want to be the best I can be. Despite all this, I still think I made a mistake with one brand - I should have gone with my original gut feeling I think!

10c97c4bb377ac8dc34f0aa61cc87702.jpg

The back of the gel bottle says designed in the UK, made in China [emoji848]

10c97c4bb377ac8dc34f0aa61cc87702.jpg

The back of the gel bottle says designed in the UK, made in China [emoji848]

"Designed" is a bit of a strange word to describe a gel polish isn't it?! It's all a bit vague really. It could refer to anything

"Designed" is a bit of a strange word to describe a gel polish isn't it?! It's all a bit vague really. It could refer to anything

My interpretation of that is the marketing and brand as a whole has been ‘designed’ by people in the uk but the actual product is manufactured in a lab in China... yep I agree it’s all very strange!

My interpretation of that is the marketing and brand as a whole has been ‘designed’ by people in the uk but the actual product is manufactured in a lab in China... yep I agree it’s all very strange!

I think you're right.

Latest posts

Back