No computer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Just a quick question. How many of you don't have a computer?

Doing what we do, we often have to ask people for a Word doc with people's prices etc on that we then turn into proper price lists and leaflets etc.

However, increasingly we're finding people are telling us that they don't have a computer or laptop and they're doing everything via a phone.

I must admit, I find it surprising that people in business just don't have a computer at all.

Am I wrong? how many of you don't actually need one?

Or do you think it's important, from a business point of view, to have a "proper" computer?

Just a quick question. How many of you don't have a computer?

Doing what we do, we often have to ask people for a Word doc with people's prices etc on that we then turn into proper price lists and leaflets etc.

However, increasingly we're finding people are telling us that they don't have a computer or laptop and they're doing everything via a phone.

I must admit, I find it surprising that people in business just don't have a computer at all.

Am I wrong? how many of you don't actually need one?

Or do you think it's important, from a business point of view, to have a "proper" computer?

Couldn't manage without mine - not only for the salon software but I can do my accounts, create posters and ad's etc quiet times. Not sure how people manage without - but maybe that's just me!!!

Totally agree. Couldn't go on salon geek!

Vic x

I diddnt have a computer untill recently, everything to do with my business is done on paper & I use my phone for everything else, I only got one because my mum suggested I do a spreadsheet to keep a personal record and maybe we could try some analysis of the business through a spreadsheet, if she hadn't suggested it tho I'd never have got one, it's a home laptop tho not an in work one, I have only used it a few times tho

In my gaps, I do the following on my computer: Order online, do banking, send and receive emails, build emails to send to clients, update facebook page, pay staff, book clients in and out all the time, send text promotions, do reports - retail takings in first quarter and treatment takings in first quarter etc, update our website, update my online accounts system and occasionally I go on a site called Salon Geek!!!

I also use it to do my food shopping, book our holidays, and lots of personal stuff.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. We have a large desktop computer and I honestly don't know how I'd function without it. I simply couldn't run my business without it.
I'd like it to mean that when I get home put my feet up and I'm finished with everything computer related, but that's not the case.

Vic x

Couldn't manage without mine - not only for the salon software but I can do my accounts, create posters and ad's etc quiet times. Not sure how people manage without - but maybe that's just me!!!

Exactly. That's why I asked really, we run two businesses, the design company and our salon. Obviously the design company needs one (actually three, but that's another story) but the salon really needs one too!

Get LOADS of folk who don't have one come through to me though, and I was worried It was me being out of step!

Dare I say it's a bit more "professional" to have one?......

I have a laptop but it is so old and slow that I very rarely use it!
I use my phone to order online, update my fb page, upload pics straight from my phone to fb, place ads online, bank online both personal and business and all emails come straight to my phone too so don't find I need my laptop for much! In fact the only thing I do need and use it for is updating my website.
Accounts are done in an accounts book and bookings are done in my appointment book.
I do think as technology advances more and more people are using phones over computers

We have a desktop pc in salon which is used mainly for our booking system and running reports off from that software to do with the business. I always have my iPad with me and do banking, emails, social media updating, ordering stock, going on salon geek etc on that!

I'm mobile so all I need is a phone and a Filofax!

More and more stuff can be done with apps and on tablets, but all my 'office's type things are done on my PC. ( managing bank accounts, suppliers, accounts spread sheet, changing my web sites, writing e-mails and docs, )

I have a Pc, a laptop, my iPad and my phone. I interchange through the all. Xx

I have a computer at home. However I rarely used it. I've been using it more within the last 6 months.

I use my phone for salon geek and other correspondence.

I use my kindle for my appointments.

I have a computer at home. However I rarely used it. I've been using it more within the last 6 months.

I use my phone for salon geek and other correspondence.

I use my kindle for my appointments.
What do u use on kindle to do appointments?

What do u use on kindle to do appointments?
Well, I use an online thing on the kindle. Kitomba.
Just cuz I wanted to send sms reminders and didn't want clients having my number! Haha

Including salon and home have 3 pcs, 3 ipads, 3 other tablets and smart phones. Use tablets and smart phones for contact and minor things on the go but bulk done on pc. Much faster and easier than trying to work on a tablet/phone. Nothing done on paper for the business (unless printing for records).

Well, I use an online thing on the kindle. Kitomba.
Just cuz I wanted to send sms reminders and didn't want clients having my number! Haha

You mean a Kindle Fire, as opposed to a Kindle EBook reader I assume?

Thanks for your answers anyway folks, was genuinely curious as to what other people were doing, and if it means (for the design business) asking for things in a different way because people simply aren't using computers than we have to do that!

You mean a Kindle Fire, as opposed to a Kindle EBook reader I assume?

Thanks for your answers anyway folks, was genuinely curious as to what other people were doing, and if it means (for the design business) asking for things in a different way because people simply aren't using computers than we have to do that!

Ooh yeah! A fire! I forget they did/do the EBooks.

Latest posts

Back