Non professionals advertising on Facebook?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigglyb4ll

Reaction score
Just seen someone offering acrylic nails on Facebook for £8 with a caption saying she's been doing nails for ages but hasn't done a course yet so come get them cheap.

Is there someone these people can be reported to?

I only want to know if there's rules regarding trading without insurance/qualifications...surely someone knows?

I'm not here to rant, I'm genuinely concerned she could cause damage.

Anyone?
Thanks

well they wont be getting any repeat customers with absolutley no training thats for sure! frustrates me that people think they can work things out for themselves without any training! thats one thing i don't like about the youtube videos is the fact that anyone can watch them and think they can do it! yes the videos are helpful to training/newly trained techs or even experienced techs but this girl has probably watched a few videos and thinks its easy!

They're like the hydra. You chop off one head, 2 more pop up. And in my opinion, if someone wants to go get their nails did by someone charging a single digit, openly admitting she hasn't had any formal training, and saying "come get them cheap", then they're just asking for trouble. I'd like to know if these people would trust a doctor who has been practicing for ages but hasn't gone to medical school. Yes, the person posting is horrible for insulting our careers and all the time and effort we've put into training to make sure we're doing it right, but the people going to them and giving them business are just as bad. I'll always pick 1 client who can appreciate that I take my career very seriously and took the time and money to get to where I am over the 10 who thinks anyone can do my job, and thinks I should charge less than a McD meal for my time.

I put a comment on it saying that with no insurance or health and safety regulations she's putting others at risk and someone else piped up and said 'they may not be the best but she does my nails, at least she's working"
:(

ask her if she is registered with HMRC:D

I'll always pick 1 client who can appreciate that I take my career very seriously and took the time and money to get to where I am over the 10 who thinks anyone can do my job, and thinks I should charge less than a McD meal for my time.

This is seriously off topic but it reminded me when you said this.

Someone I know once told me that she should be better paid than me. I said she works in a call centre and she's like, yea, I get shouted at all the time. After id finished laughing at the absurdity, I told her I'd trained initially for 3 years to her week and that ive spent thousands and thousands of pounds on further training.

The only person to whom she could possibly be reported would be the inland revenue. It sucks, but the people who will go to her will never be your clients :)

People who go to her are probably not the people who would come to you anyway. You wont convince them that she is doing anything wrong.

I suggest you concentrate on educating your clients who can then educate their friends and let these "cowgirls/boys" do their own thing.

Unfortunately it is clients who will suffer in the long run with possible reactions but we have seen this over and over again.

People think that these people will spoil the nail industry because everyone will be tarred with the same brush, but this doesnt seem to have happened.

People who go to her are probably not the people who would come to you anyway. You wont convince them that she is doing anything wrong.

I suggest you concentrate on educating your clients who can then educate their friends and let these "cowgirls/boys" do their own thing.

Unfortunately it is clients who will suffer in the long run with possible reactions but we have seen this over and over again.

People think that these people will spoil the nail industry because everyone will be tarred with the same brush, but this doesnt seem to have happened.

Her nails were pants and I don't offer acrylics so its not that I'm threatened, I've just seen so many brutally damaged nails I can't bare to watch it under my nose.

She's probably using a acrylic dip kit from Argos lol, she definitely wont be covered if anything went wrong. Winds me up, we go through all this training spending sometimes thousands of pounds for non professionals charging ridiculously cheap. I could understand if she was currently training and were using them as models but to not even be doing any training is ridiculous x

Well... the problem she will face here is the obvious. She's not trained. She's not insured. And I'm 99.9% sure she is not registered as self-employed, and her business is something she's cooked up while on a trip to Boots, so it's not even registered as a business. She WILL injure someone, and judging by the type of people who will most likely go to her in the first place- they will want compensation.

I'm probably going to sound like a straight up b**** for saying this, but those who will get damaged and injured by her deserve it. You put your hand in a fire, you get burnt. Best thing to do- dust your shoulders off and carry on with your business, and be glad you're not like her.

I've got someone like this right under my nose. She using the red carpet gel polish. I've seen photos and they look awful. I've been tempted to comment but haven't but I've seen others comment on her posts and surprisingly there haven't been anymore adverts since.

I totally agree with chickafish if people willingly go to these people knowing they are untrained, uninsured etc then they are asking for trouble. It's the clients that don't know that they are untrained etc that I feel sorry for x

I agree, I have seen it on Facebook before "Im not trained, but I have a lamp and know how to do them" hahaha please. We don't spend thousands on training for nothing!! X

Latest posts

Back