Not built up business even after 2 years

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie28

Reaction score
I qualified in feb 2012 and since later that year I have been self employed within a salon doing beauty and nails.

It has been up and down. Sometimes busy, sometimes not. Some weeks I'm not even covering rent or I'm at a loss!

I have tried so many things
Facebook
Local advertising
Offers
Loyalty cards
Word of mouth
Gumtree
And many more things

I just don't know how people in the beauty industry can get a solid client base and be constantly busy with regulars?! I have about 5 regular people.
Have had others in the past but they have just disappeared off the face of the earth and suddenly stop coming. When people can't afford things, beauty seems to be the first thing that goes!
I can understand being able to build up a hair business more easily as everyone needs their hair doing - men, women, children. Beauty isn't a necessity,... More of a treat.

Unless you're in an affluent area or have lots of walk ins in a city centre then how on earth do you get the clientele??

I'm seriously considering just doing it from home or mobile again as at least then I wouldn't have the overheads!!

Really getting me down :(

Awww it's so tough to get started, believe me I really understand how you feel.

In a nutshell I rented a room for a year and literally had no income after paying the rent. Nothing. If I had my time again though I would ABSOLUTELY do it again as it started me off.

It's a chicken and egg situation, reputation is what ultimately gets you the business but yet you need to get those clients in to built a reputation. This is what takes such a long time to do but it's worth it in the end.

I have written a load of advice posts on my website. If you click the "advice" tab below the banner, they're all there.

http://www.liverpoollashes.co.uk/

Don't ever give up your dreams, it will really happen - you just need to stick it through. Also look at your books for the same month, a year apart. You should see increases, even if it's just a little xx

Hi, thank you for the reply.
I think I'm just panicking as I'm not earning enough. I probably do have more than last year but it just isn't consistent.
Maybe I'm just not in an area where you get much footfall. I can't seem to bring in enough people!

Hi, thank you for the reply.
I think I'm just panicking as I'm not earning enough. I probably do have more than last year but it just isn't consistent.
Maybe I'm just not in an area where you get much footfall. I can't seem to bring in enough people!

I noticed you haven't mentioned a website on your list? Do you have one?

I qualified in feb 2012 and since later that year I have been self employed within a salon doing beauty and nails.

It has been up and down. Sometimes busy, sometimes not. Some weeks I'm not even covering rent or I'm at a loss!

I have tried so many things
Facebook
Local advertising
Offers
Loyalty cards
Word of mouth
Gumtree
And many more things

I just don't know how people in the beauty industry can get a solid client base and be constantly busy with regulars?! I have about 5 regular people.
Have had others in the past but they have just disappeared off the face of the earth and suddenly stop coming. When people can't afford things, beauty seems to be the first thing that goes!
I can understand being able to build up a hair business more easily as everyone needs their hair doing - men, women, children. Beauty isn't a necessity,... More of a treat.

Unless you're in an affluent area or have lots of walk ins in a city centre then how on earth do you get the clientele??

I'm seriously considering just doing it from home or mobile again as at least then I wouldn't have the overheads!!

Really getting me down :(

Are you doing these things over and over again?

We do leaflet drops, advertising, Facebook over and over again. We also rank high with our website that gets us a lot of business, and as I have said on here before we still get people who have no idea we're here!
It can be a bit relentless!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do those things all the time. Mostly Facebook, gumtree and leaflets.

I do have a website but it doesn't rank that high unless you type my actual business name in. Not sure how to make it rank any higher without costing me more money which I can't afford!

I do have a website but it doesn't rank that high unless you type my actual business name in. Not sure how to make it rank any higher without costing me more money which I can't afford!

Don't forget the cost of a website includes lost business. It's not delivering, then it's not worth having. That is so true of many salon websites, and they are only there because the salon owner thinks they should have one.

It's for this reason why we started doing websites for other salons, and our pricing is totally different. Our aim is to help our clients to understand how websites and social media work together and create something that is agile and can be updated regularly.

I agree with Myarka. You have to spend money to make money and a good website with good SEO will make it's cost back 10 fold.

Most of our clients now enjoy a good increase of revenue and income due to there website and google ranking and easily paid for itself very quickly.

I understand it's a big expense and that's why we launched our payment plan to help people.

If a website is out of reach a well planned leaflet campaign will reap rewards if done correctly.

What are some ways to rank higher on google?

What are some ways to rank higher on google?

It's not easy. Who built your current website? If you want to post a link I can offer some pointers.

Following this one!

Beauty isn't a necessity,... More of a treat.

Just a minor thing, but if this is your belief, could you perhaps be projecting this to potential clients? I once knew a therapist who could never get people to have facials or buy products, then one day I observed her and noticed that whenever she went to promote her services she was closing their purses before they were opened by means of her body language. That is to say, she was projecting to them the idea that a facial or skincare was an expensive frivolity, she had no self-assurance that she was offering a valuable necessary service and it came across in the way she spoke.

I'm inclined to agree with the points that Martin and Squidger made.
As an aside, this idea that IT is the MOST important aspect of a salon is perplexing. People will try and sell you mysteriously SEO'ed websites for hundreds of pounds, stating that without it, salons are doomed.

What exactly do IT people think we did before t'internet? Do they truly believe we all sat listening to crickets chirping in empty salons?
Before you spend more money on chasing new clients, I'd suggest that you cast a critical eye over the business.
Is the location right?
Is it clean and welcoming?
Are you collecting client contact details? Are you keeping in touch?
Are your treatments up to scratch, and up to date?
Is your pricing in keeping with both the area and your standard of work?

Once you've ticked off all of those, I'd say go for a fancy website.

Can i also point out that we have just come out of a recession and to be honest we all should just take a step back and be grateful that we are all still here! I have another business that was nearly wiped our because of it and we survived because we adapted and many of our rivals did not. Beauty has taken a huge hit in the last few years so i would take on board all of the advice given in this thread:hug: but also give yourself a break, you are still here when many are not so you must be doing good! Try and keep the faith as things are improving and hopefully you will reap the rewards in years to come x

I'm inclined to agree with the points that Martin and Squidger made.
As an aside, this idea that IT is the MOST important aspect of a salon is perplexing. People will try and sell you mysteriously SEO'ed websites for hundreds of pounds, stating that without it, salons are doomed.

What exactly do IT people think we did before t'internet? Do they truly believe we all sat listening to crickets chirping in empty salons?
Before you spend more money on chasing new clients, I'd suggest that you cast a critical eye over the business.
Is the location right?
Is it clean and welcoming?
Are you collecting client contact details? Are you keeping in touch?
Are your treatments up to scratch, and up to date?
Is your pricing in keeping with both the area and your standard of work?

Once you've ticked off all of those, I'd say go for a fancy website.

I totally agree. It's not the be all and end all. Likewise we use various marketing in all forms.

You can't escape the fact though that failing word of mouth, where do people look for services. If you know where people in your area look and get yourself in front of them then you'll do well. Some areas use the internet more, some react better to leaflet campaigns and certain towns do extremely well in local magazines.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I know I'm probably worrying more than I need to. Just seems to be picking up and then dies again. Keep getting no shows too!
I do promote treatments being needed every few weeks or so and always make follow up appointments. I don't personally think beauty should just be a treat, but I think that's how some people view it.

I have all clients details and client cards. I regularly email and text with special offers for existing clients as well as trying to get new ones.

I give cards with a small gift at Xmas for regulars and reward them with loyalty cards throughout the year.

Thanks for all the advice x

I think Persianista has made a good point ...is your training up to date? I think you may need to look at that because if you are getting clients in the door but not retaining them you need to ask yourself why.
Pick the treatment that you feel could be improved and start there with a refresher course ...Push that forward and let it fund your next refresher etc.
Keep training and pushing yourself to be the best you can be ..Good luck .:hug:

A lot of good advice.
I often feel that many people rush into being self employed straight out of school and with not enough experience running a spa/salon or any time spent perfecting their knowledge. Many people fail because of this. I took that to heart before I finished school and even 10 years later I am upgrading with add on courses 2-3 times a year.
I picked my bosses' brains over a period of 8 years and I swore I would not repeat their mistakes.
My place too is small and cozy. Male friendly. Clean, and then some.
I keep it simple and professional. I have a website I designed myself for $7.99/ month to host.
I haven't spent any more on any additional advertising.
Location is superb and my knowledge and schooling keeps em coming back.
My client retention rate is at 98% if you don't include one offs and gift certificates.
Most all my clients came from word of mouth. Majority of people will go or not go based on their friend recommending it.
Keep it simple and look for ways to improve yourself and your services. If the client likes it they will be back and they will recommend you to their friends. Period.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I do have people who I've had from the beginning who come every two weeks. I also have some who used to come and then said they couldn't afford it anymore as they couldn't justify having their nails done every two weeks.
X

Latest posts

Back