Not yet qualified and part time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmillieShellac

Reaction score
Good Morning Geeks,
I'm just about to take over a salon that I've been renting in and my business is at a point where I can't do it all on my own but I've found someone who has 6 months left at college training be a beautician who I trust, like and know I could work with.
My question is what do I need to consider to employee her on a part time basis (maybe more at Xmas).
How much would I pay her an hour, how do I protect her and the business from an insurance point of view? Then theres NI and tax (scary) I've only trained in nails and I would be looking for her to support me in that and some waxing ideally. She would like to work with me around finishing her college course.
I've never employed someone before and it terrifies me however my business is full to bursting and I realise that a lot of the time it's about finding the right person and I have that gut feeling she's it but don't know where to start?!
Thank you in advance for your help and advice SS

Good Morning Geeks,
I'm just about to take over a salon that I've been renting in and my business is at a point where I can't do it all on my own but I've found someone who has 6 months left at college training be a beautician who I trust, like and know I could work with.
My question is what do I need to consider to employee her on a part time basis (maybe more at Xmas).
How much would I pay her an hour, how do I protect her and the business from an insurance point of view? Then theres NI and tax (scary) I've only trained in nails and I would be looking for her to support me in that and some waxing ideally. She would like to work with me around finishing her college course.
I've never employed someone before and it terrifies me however my business is full to bursting and I realise that a lot of the time it's about finding the right person and I have that gut feeling she's it but don't know where to start?!
Thank you in advance for your help and advice SS

In spas it is common for people who are finishing college to be working for the minimum wage for their age. I think from what I've seen the spa asks for level 2 certificates and/or a letter from the college to say what units of the level 3 course have been completed so far.

If you're a small salon perhaps it would help if she could purchase some student insurance. This is very affordable and could maybe be helpful.

Contact the HMRC re wages. If it is her only job and she isn't earning over the tax threshold, it is really easy. If she is over the threshold which is about £9500 (easily googled) you can get a lot of help from HMRC and do it online - pretty straightforward x

Great thank you both for your replies. I'm going to call my insurance company on Monday for more advice and I will get on HMRC website. Thanks SS

Latest posts

Back