NSS moving in two doors down!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilacs

Reaction score
Heeelllpppp!!!! I am absolutely soul destroyed!
I began renting a beauty room within a hair dressers a couple of months ago for two days a week.
The owners are such lovely people, the rent is reasonable for the area, it's round the corner from my children's school and I couldn't ask for anything better.
It's taken a while to try and get my name out there with advertising, leaflet drops, offers etc and slowly but surely I am getting a steady stream of bookings.
I had a new client come to me for a shellac manicure last week, turns out she works at an estate agents on the same street as the salon.
She told me that a shop two doors down is selling up and it is being purchased for a nail bar!! It's completely broken my heart after putting my all into my business.
Don't get me wrong, I am confident in my work but being early days this has put some serious fear into me. I am currently working two days a week during school hours whilst building up with the aim to increase the number of days. Unfortunately it can only be during school hours as a) I am unable to afford any extra childcare and b) my eldest is autistic with a full time learning support assistant which rules out after school clubs etc.
I don't know what to do now.
How do I prepare to fight? Or brace myself for the worst?
I'm so lost 😭

Keep doing what you're doing - there is always going to be competition but you have to assess what kind of competition it is...

If it's an NSS salon then the clients who go there are not the kind of clients that would usually come to you anyway..they want the 'in and out' cheap looking nails. Whereas the clients you have probably wouldn't dream of going to an NSS salon because they pay for quality and service which you are providing them with.

Don't panic :)

I wouldn't worry . There is one opposite where I work and it doesn't affect me at all. X

What makes you think this will be a non standard salon?

I have one next door to me doesn't effect me at all. I think different cliente all together . For one the one next to me do everything in an open space . Ie pedicures waxing etc. And the nail cliente are like a chain of Robots in and out as fast as possible .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

What makes you think this will be a non standard salon?

It's an expansion. There is another one a few miles away which I know of. Definitely nss :(

Last edited:
Thank you all for messages of support.
I was having a bit of a melt down at the time of posting.
It's quite a well off area and tbh I have not had a single acrylic client since starting there. First one is actually booked in for this Thursday. It's much more a natural nail kind of area which is why I am not so secretly hoping it falls on it's face.
To the ladies that have these places on their doorstep, did you do any thing different that secured your business? Other than just being good at what you do?

Hey! Get those certificates on display! Explain to your clients what you are doing, what your product does, all your after care etc! I'm not saying you don't already do this, but get your product knowledge and natural nail care out there to the clients! Make sure you tell them all about everything you do and why you do it. Explain why you do all your sanitation and prep etc. The quality should shine through! I've had so so many people say to me before, oh I've never had a skin test/hair sample taken etc (in also a hairdresser) I explain why I do it! Also had people comment on me changing my towels and spraying things. I always explain what I'm doing. This will get anyone wondering what the hell going on if they go into an NSS. Educate your clients! Xxxx

Oh believe me I do. I always have bottles of dettol/ barbacide/ sanitising spray etc all over the place. No one has a session with me without having to watch me clean something at some point lol!
Good shout with the certificates tho. I have them in a folder readily available but displaying would definitely send a better message. With that I'm mind I am sure I have a BABTAC insurance window cling and badge pin that may go down well.
Thanks for the idea xx

Latest posts

Back