Nss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

* Helen *

Reaction score
Afternoon all

When I was being served at my local Tesco's yesterday, the lady behind the counter has her nails done at the local NSS. I commented on her nails as they did look pretty, she had pink tips, glitter smile line and a few white dots on the tips. She said she has her nails done in town but the only down fall is the Technicians do not speak English (... my ears pricked up now) and she finds it hard to explain to them how she would like her nails.

Anyway the lady praised them because she enjoys going to this salon and was pleased with her nails, I did begun to say that I have heard a few things about these salons concerned BUT the lady did not want to hear it. She enjoys going there and thats that :Look_left This lady obviously liked going to this NSS :rolleyes:

So I smiled nicely, picked up my shopping and left but it has been bugging me should I have tried too educate her more about these NSS & stood my ground and told her about lack of hygiene, no client consultation etc.

I would just like to know A) what would you have done if you was in this situation or what you have done & B) do you think its a good idea, if there is another situation like this, if I put together a leaflet about NSS and the possibilties of using MMA there?

Sorry its a long one, I would appreicate your views :Love:

Helen x

One of these has just opened in our local market, they can't speak Engligh (Chinese I think they are), they wear masks, the smell in there (well not been in) but you can smell the product being used outside. So it must be pretty bad in. They use electric drills. I've had a couple clients go there before they came to me, one of them I had to refuce to remove the nails as they were stuck like superglue and would have damaged her nails.

I've taken to doing some leaflets, I carry them around with me on all my appointments and if they have been there, or know of anyone who has been there. I just give a copy to them to explain about the dangers of the product (I don't mention salons or anything like that, goodness I'd be in court). But just making them aware of the dangers.

Pink Tips said:
One of these has just opened in our local market, they can't speak Engligh (Chinese I think they are), they wear masks, the smell in there (well not been in) but you can smell the product being used outside. So it must be pretty bad in. They use electric drills. I've had a couple clients go there before they came to me, one of them I had to refuce to remove the nails as they were stuck like superglue and would have damaged her nails.

I've taken to doing some leaflets, I carry them around with me on all my appointments and if they have been there, or know of anyone who has been there. I just give a copy to them to explain about the dangers of the product (I don't mention salons or anything like that, goodness I'd be in court). But just making them aware of the dangers.

Hi Samantha

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I thought this may be a good idea as she obviously did not want me to vioce my opinions regarding these salons and if I gave her a leaflet highlighting some of the dangers, she may read it when she has a spare minute.

I suppose my main debate is do you teach those who do not wish to be taught!!

Have you a spare copy of yours online that I could have a look at, if you dont mind please :D

I would just say something very quickly like, Oh they look great but make sure their hygiene standards are good, that it doesn't hurt and that they don't over file your natural nail. It's not slamming the competition which is unethical, but it may just make people think before going back to a bad place ... no matter what type of salon or tech they go to. It's not just the NSS that are bad.

Its o my computer at home, at work at the moment. But I'll email it to just this evening. I got the info the Chartered Insitute of Enviromental Health, outlines the dangers of salons that practice with dangerous chemicals.

I agree with Sassy , and the amount of people i have spoke to about there nails you know just the odd "they look nice" and they have told me where they had them done mostly at out local NSS and no matter what i say to them there end comment is " well i dont care , there cheap" OMG! xx

Helencad said:
I suppose my main debate is do you teach those who do not wish to be taught!!

I dont think you can teach people that dont really want to listen. I really think some people dont care. I think that they see that they are in and out in 45 mins and that the nails dont shift and thats all they care about. But keep on telling people anyway because there are lots of clients out there that want to do the right thing.

Hi Helen,

Firstly, are you sure it was a NSS ? How did you go about establishing this ?

Not having a go at you, but am trying to explain how you could perhaps broach this subject in the future.

Let's assume you are familiar with the "salon" in question and you know for a fact that they are NSS, perhaps you can say:

How do they treat you there ? Do you find it easy to communicate with them and be able to interact with them ?

Are you happy with the service they provide and the aftercare ?

I've heard that they use drills on your natural nails and hurt people by cutting their skin, does this happen to you ?

What do you think of the sanitation of the place etc.

Do you see where I'm going ? By asking subtle questions (obviously doesn't have to be worded like the above) you can establish if perhaps you are dealing with a NS salon and if they are "really" happy with the place.

Once you get a couple of negative answers (which I'm sure you will), you can then try to explain about MMA and NSS.

If after that they still don't want to know, then so be it. You can only try to educate them and if they don't want to listen, there isn't much you can do.

River

Sassy Hassy said:
I would just say something very quickly like, Oh they look great but make sure their hygiene standards are good, that it doesn't hurt and that they don't over file your natural nail. It's not slamming the competition which is unethical, but it may just make people think before going back to a bad place ... no matter what type of salon or tech they go to. It's not just the NSS that are bad.

Thanks Sassy

I will keep that one in mind thanks, I dont wish to slam the oposition and I certainly wouldn't want to steal other Tech's clients but I have had my nails done at this salon in question (before I even thought of becoming a Tech myself) it hurt, no hygiene etc.

Its that im quite a quiet person and when she did not wish to hear, I thought it may have been good to give her a little information, whether she wished to read or not is up to her!

One girl who came to me after having them said that she always has her nails done, she only went there the once to try them out. She literally had to rip them off when they got tatty looking as her nails / bed was achinmg underneath. She had to leave having nails for about 6 months after, which gutted her as she felt lost with out them. I didn't really have to say anything to her, she'd learnt her lesson, and now my valued client and friend. Something good has come out of something not so good.:biggrin:

I have learnt that if you say too much about these salons...to these non-eductated clients it seems like a bad case of sour grapes. I now leave them to it...they are happy with their nails and they like how they look. I only explain the dangers if a client has decided to come to me instead through their choice after realising for themselves they are bad for their nails

Sassy Hassy said:

I think this is the perfect reply.

Its unfortunate, but people do not want to be hassled like that out in the street etc, BUT - if its while you are actually enhancing them then there is no harm in mentioning the above.

Some people just will not take what you say. You have to be a bit careful with the leaflets etc, as if someone mentions the fact that they go to an NSS - and then you give them a leaflet detailing MMA and sanitation etc, it could be seen as you indirectly saying they are bad - if you see what I mean! xx

Yeah, I agree with you. I was always taught never to blackmouth another nail tech/salaon or beautician. It makes you look unprofessional. If one of my clients does start to call another salon, etc. I always say it's personal perfernce of the client, some people like how some nail techs/beauticians work, some don't. We can't please everyone.

River said:
Hi Helen,

Firstly, are you sure it was a NSS ? How did you go about establishing this ?

Not having a go at you, but am trying to explain how you could perhaps broach this subject in the future.

Let's assume you are familiar with the "salon" in question and you know for a fact that they are NSS, perhaps you can say:

How do they treat you there ? Do you find it easy to communicate with them and be able to interact with them ?

Are you happy with the service they provide and the aftercare ?

I've heard that they use drills on your natural nails and hurt people by cutting their skin, does this happen to you ?

What do you think of the sanitation of the place etc.

Do you see where I'm going ? By asking subtle questions (obviously doesn't have to be worded like the above) you can establish if perhaps you are dealing with a NS salon and if they are "really" happy with the place.

Once you get a couple of negative answers (which I'm sure you will), you can then try to explain about MMA and NSS.

If after that they still don't want to know, then so be it. You can only try to educate them and if they don't want to listen, there isn't much you can do.

River

Hi River

When the lady said that it was a chinese place & they didnt speak English, I asked if it was the American Nail Bar in town & she said yes ... I went there before I started training.

Yes I know where you are coming from River (and that your not having a go) and I think your suggestions are great, if I get a response from the questions that you have suggested then yes I could go and explain from what I have learnt!

Thank you :D

Helencad said:
Afternoon all

When I was being served at my local Tesco's yesterday, the lady behind the counter has her nails done at the local NSS. I commented on her nails as they did look pretty, she had pink tips, glitter smile line and a few white dots on the tips. She said she has her nails done in town but the only down fall is the Technicians do not speak English (... my ears pricked up now) and she finds it hard to explain to them how she would like her nails.

Anyway the lady praised them because she enjoys going to this salon and was pleased with her nails, I did begun to say that I have heard a few things about these salons concerned BUT the lady did not want to hear it. She enjoys going there and thats that :Look_left This lady obviously liked going to this NSS :rolleyes:

So I smiled nicely, picked up my shopping and left but it has been bugging me should I have tried too educate her more about these NSS & stood my ground and told her about lack of hygiene, no client consultation etc.

I would just like to know A) what would you have done if you was in this situation or what you have done & B) do you think its a good idea, if there is another situation like this, if I put together a leaflet about NSS and the possibilties of using MMA there?

Sorry its a long one, I would appreicate your views :Love:

Helen x

Perhaps not advisable to do though in a supermarket queue!!! The lady may have taken offence, although you were only trying to educate her.

gucci906 said:
I have learnt that if you say too much about these salons...to these non-eductated clients it seems like a bad case of sour grapes. I now leave them to it...they are happy with their nails and they like how they look. I only explain the dangers if a client has decided to come to me instead through their choice after realising for themselves they are bad for their nails

Yes Denise I see where you are coming from, it may look to them sour grapes and Client poaching.

Thank you!

CadenceAlex said:
Perhaps not advisable to do though in a supermarket queue!!! The lady may have taken offence, although you were only trying to educate her.

Yes I suppose it wasnt the best of places, I dont go out and look for people with enhancements it was they stood out because the art was different & I havent seen the Nss concerned do this sort out art before! They where different!

Everyone comments are noted and greatly appreciated thank you :Love:

Helencad said:
Yes I suppose it wasnt the best of places, I dont go out and look for people with enhancements it was they stood out because the art was different & I havent seen the Nss concerned do this sort out art before! They where different!

Everyone comments are noted and greatly appreciated thank you :Love:

Thats one thing I will say about the NSS in my town, their freehand nail art is FANTASTIC! :suprised:

fificharlie said:
Thats one thing I will say about the NSS in my town, their freehand nail art is FANTASTIC! :suprised:

I thought they only done air brush art!! :rolleyes: I was suprised, it was funky pink tips with silver glitter smile line and white dots on the free edge ... real funky. If the lady did not say where she had then done I would never have guessed!!:lol:

The nail art and airbrushing always seems to be good. I have been into our local nss and had my nails airbrushed (after I had done the enhancements) and really love it. They cant do much harm with am airbrush now can they.

Latest posts

Back