NVQ 2 or 3, need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
Short version, due to being my sons carer n on benefits, I'm not currently able to work, however I'm hoping too again once he finishes school in 2 years.
I previously did mobile with a tiny client base as was still in the early stages when I got divorced.
I'd like to work in a salon when I do go back but NVQ seems to be a requirement.
I'm trained in uv gel and l&p and converted to CND with l&p, although I'm only doin gel on myself. I use Brisa lite sculpting n shellac.
I want to be ready and employable as possible in 2 years.
I've looked and NVQ courses start in January locally.
The tutor said I could go in at a level 3, it's upto me, so I'm looking for advise on that really.
Would you suggest level 3, would I benefit from 2?
Is NVQ definitely required in salon?
I know ill be 47 by then but hey, I'm hoping that wont be a problem n my sparkling personality and charm will win them over lolol
Thanks

It sounds like you've already done a few courses already so NVQ Level 2 might seem a bit basic for you.

It mainly covers the anatomy on the nails/hands/feet, health and safety and of course product application (nail polish, acrylic/gel/fibreglass...depending on what your tutor prefers).

It doesn't really cover sculptured nails, nail art etc as these are mainly covered in NVQ Level 3. From what I believe Level 3 is far more creative.

I trained with CND originally in 2001 but did NVQ Level 2 in 2011 just to build up confidence and to acquire further education in regards to basic manicures/pedicures and theory work, however since leaving I have also gone back to CND to do further training.

I was also an older student too (30) and one of the oldest in the class...but not the oldest, so its never too late ;)

I hope this helps a bit x

Thanks mummycat, I suppose really then, level 2 would be good for a refresher and confidence was always an issue :)

I'm due to start my lvl 3 in sept which I'm highly excited about even if at 45 I'll be the oldest student there. It's the passion for nails that drives me which ever you choose your going to love it gl 😀 x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I started training in nails back in 1994, I did my NVQ Level 3 in 2003 and was the eldest student there, i am now 47 and am giving up a career in the probation service to go back and persue my passion and dream with nails, i am currently doing my ptlls course (preparing to teach in the life long learning sector) and after that i am doing my TAQA so i am able to teach NVQ, you are never to old to follow a dream and if it is something that you enjoy then go for it!!!!!

Latest posts

Back