NVQ Beauty Therapy level 2 not covering everything?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mommabear

Reaction score
Hiya geeks

Just come home from college. Talking about our course today with our tutor and found out we wont be doing waxing?!?!? Although it says its covered on our course details?!?!

Are they allowed to do that? What do i do to get my waxing qual?!? Do a day course?!? Ive known how to wax for a very long time but dont want to do a day course, weve been learning so much already and feel id pearn more doing it at college
What to do :-( xxxx

Have they said why not?
That's quite strange as its a main part of beauty therapy.
Are you 100% sure your doing an NVQ Beauty Therapy General qualification and not another one similar like Beauty Techniques?

Hair removal techniques is a core unit to Nvq beauty level 2.

Check the qualification you are enrolled onto and question why this won't be covered!?

Xx

The vtct level 2 in Beauty services doesn't cover waxing, but covers facials, makeup, manicure, pedicure etc
Definitely check which qualification your doing!

Is it an NVQ or could it be a VRQ ...
... with a vrq the units can be different ?

I work at a school academy and We have done vrq with previous students when they were pre16 - as they were not allowed to do waxing or tinting units so we did the self tan unit instead ...
I would recommend that you check to find out which you are on. many colleges are now doing vrq.
Nvq's are a 70% pass and vrq you only have to get 60% pass in exam and don't have to answer any wrong answered questions as in Nvq you need to answer these in open questions ie written or can be verbally asked. The other difference is with nvq's you have to pass every practical assessment whereas with vrq you have 4 assessments but only have to pass the last one.
what I would say is vrq's are recognised but it does say that the student may need extra support when qualified whereas a Nvq you are work ready. Vrqs you don't have to do practical assessments on paying clients.

Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Last edited:
not a great pic but NVQ 2 mandatory syllabus x
sorry it's on twice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380656586.171714.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380656586.171714.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 415
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380656608.967925.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380656608.967925.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 331
Yep we are defo doing waxing on my NVQ level 2 course

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380662437.215094.jpgThis is the one im doing geeks :)

We are in on a tyesday 9-6. We have 3 different tutors throughout the day. Our main tutor wasnt in today so couldnt ask her direct, as the tutor who mentioned it wasnt overly sure xx

I'm doing level 2 beauty therapy and we're covering waxing xx

Ill have to speak to my tutor next week, i dont understand why they would take it out :-s x

Ill have to speak to my tutor next week, i dont understand why they would take it out :-s x

The same thing happened to me when I did my beauty. I did city and guilds L2 beauty therapy CERTIFICATE which is different to the diploma and it did all the modules except waxing and eyebrows! We thought we were signing up to the full nvq diploma but then halfway through they told us it wouldn't cover it and we were doing the certificate!!!

There are three levels with city and guilds award, each requiring a different amount of credits. There's an award certificate and diploma . So yes they can enter you for an award or certificate which is less credits. It's QCF framework so you could just add on a waxing unit or do it independently and then you would have all the correct units! Just make sure it's the same awarding body! Or ask your college to offer it as an extra- We complained so much they added on the eye treatments module in the end of the term but still didn't get my waxing!

The same thing happened to me when I did my beauty. I did city and guilds L2 beauty therapy CERTIFICATE which is different to the diploma and it did all the modules except waxing and eyebrows! We thought we were signing up to the full nvq diploma but then halfway through they told us it wouldn't cover it and we were doing the certificate!!!

There are three levels with city and guilds award, each requiring a different amount of credits. There's an award certificate and diploma . So yes they can enter you for an award or certificate which is less credits. It's QCF framework so you could just add on a waxing unit or do it independently and then you would have all the correct units! Just make sure it's the same awarding body! Or ask your college to offer it as an extra- We complained so much they added on the eye treatments module in the end of the term but still didn't get my waxing!

The awarding body is VTCT got my badge yesterday :-s arrgghh im so confused. One of the main ones i wanted to do was waxing :-( my boss isnt impressed lol xx

The awarding body is VTCT got my badge yesterday :-s arrgghh im so confused. One of the main ones i wanted to do was waxing :-( my boss isnt impressed lol xx

I would imagine it's the same thing then.... It is annoying! Why don't you see if you pass all your modules fast enough, they can put you in for waxing too!

I did my nvq with vtct.

Level 2 covered waxing, manicure, pedicures, tinting and eyelash perms and lashes, make up, facials and ear piercing.

Level 3 covered body massage, aromatherapy massage, facial and body electrical, electrolysis and Indian head massage.
This was 2006/07

yep, waxing is a mandatory unit in the VTCT NVQ level 2- maybe the tutor got it wrong?

woops, no it didn't work! If you go to beauty and put Level 2 and NVQ as the options in the search drop boxes, you'll see the general route NVQ - the mandatory and optional units are listed, waxing is definitely mandatory

Thanks geeks, my boss said she was going to phone my tutor and ask why. Will know when im in tomorrow, fingers crossed, i love waxing aswell xx

one of the salons that I work with has just had a student through on work experience doing her lvl 2 beauty and she said that they won't be covering waxing either, we were horrified as it is a core skill in many salons, if they want it the students are apparently having to source external courses! we have had students from other colleges in the area through and they are covering it.... seems strange.

one of the salons that I work with has just had a student through on work experience doing her lvl 2 beauty and she said that they won't be covering waxing either, we were horrified as it is a core skill in many salons, if they want it the students are apparently having to source external courses! we have had students from other colleges in the area through and they are covering it.... seems strange.

A college round the corner is doing it :-( im not impressed at all, seeing my boss tomorrow so might know more xx

Latest posts

Back